Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

You're not a Torontonian? Jeez I thought that ridiculous suburban civic boosterism in North York died with Mel and amalgamation... I guess I was wrong.

Nice try. But you can't state that Torontonians don't go to Yorkdale and then try and pretend you didn't say it.

Nice try. But you can't state that Torontonians don't go to Yorkdale and then try and pretend you didn't say it.

I said most Torontonians (Etobicoke, Scarborough etc, etc are all part of Toronto) don't go to Yorkdale. Even then, I doubt 50%+1 of Toronto goes to Yorkdale on a semi-regular basis.

The subway does give it an urban feel. I only use the train when I visit.

This feels urban?

yorkdale20060527n.jpg

I can't believe this is even being discussed! Yorkdale is your quintessential suburban mall surrounded by acres of surface parking and two highways.

As it stands today, there is nothing stopping us from putting in mid/highrise buildings along the north and west side of this mall.

All the parking would have to go underground by 6 storey.

With the current extension underway to the south, there is no room for anymore development on that side.

What can happen to this mall over years as well costing millions of dollars, is start redevelopment this mall to make it a fraction of the current size by adding floors to it.

It can be a combination of both retail and residential to reach the max height for the east end first. You could throw in office space. You start on the east side and move west with a 6 storey underground parking garage.

Building a new connection from the mall to the subway station both underground and overhead is going to be fun.

This feels urban?

yorkdale20060527n.jpg

I can't believe this is even being discussed! Yorkdale is your quintessential suburban mall surrounded by acres of surface parking and two highways.

The surroundings are indeed suburban but the mall is not by virtue of having a link to the subway and thereby the city. In this sense it is not a 'quintessential' mall at all.

The surroundings are indeed suburban but the mall is not by virtue of having a link to the subway and thereby the city. In this sense it is not a 'quintessential' mall at all.

Fairview has a subway link, STC has a rapid transit link, Sherway 'could' have a subway link the medium term future.. Basically most regional malls in the 416 have some sort of rapid transit connection. It hardly makes them special or urban.

... well I would agree that in these cases the urban and suburban intersect, but again this doesn't make them 'quintessential' malls. You'd have to venture out a little further beyond the reach of the city to experience that in its purity.

Fairview, Yorkdale, STC, Square One all have the potential to be urban malls. They simply aren't right now.

As it stands today, there is nothing stopping us from putting in mid/highrise buildings along the north and west side of this mall.

Does Urban Toronto own Yorkdale?

As I mentioned earlier... Yorkdale is funny in a sense that it is a VERY upscale mall surrounded by relatively low-end housing... As opposed to Don Mills or Bayview Village or the Promenade, while Yorkdale has cachet the area around it doesn't.

If ANY condo's were to be built I can see the mall trying to integrate itself with Dufferin on the West side, but again... that is probably one of the bleakest stretches of Dufferin in the city.

I'd also argue that Yorkdale does so well from a retail perspective BECAUSE it is one floor.

The connection to the Yorkdale Subway station looks and feels like an afterthought. It was put in just to make a pathway, and a bad pathway at that. Steps to up and over a roadway, steps to go down and to the station entrance. The station itself has escalators, but the pathway does not, which I see as odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was driving by yesterday morning at around 9:30am on the 401 and there was a huge helicopter hovering over the mall and it had some sort of hoist below it. It had clearly just dropped something rather large off at the site. Anyone have any insight?

It was a strange sight.

No one in the right mind would live in a sea of traffic. The access roads (and the parking lot) are a traffic mess for at least 12 hours of the day (and sometimes, the other 12 hours as well). The ring roads are almost constantly jammed. Further, there is nothing walking distance (unless you like highways).

Live in a new condo community with indoor connection to one of Toronto's largest malls, immediately on top of a subway station, and with 2-minute car access to both the 401 and the Allen? It wouldn't be for everyone, but there's certainly a market for that -- compare to some of the condos going up around Downsview station.

I was driving by yesterday morning at around 9:30am on the 401 and there was a huge helicopter hovering over the mall and it had some sort of hoist below it. It had clearly just dropped something rather large off at the site. Anyone have any insight?

It was a strange sight.

Due to the size of the mall now, no crane is going to get close enough to it, to place AC or other large objects on the roof. There for, helicopter has to be used to make those lifts of large objects onto the roof from now on.

There was a helicopter lift on University Ave just a few days ago, because there is no crane that can reach that high, as well being able to lift the weight of the object.

Dec 25
Its looks like what people were seeing in November was the placement of steel on the section of the old Eaton's Mall area. I would say off hands its for a solar panel system and could not get a clear shot of it for some reason.

Steel is going up on the east end with twin 36WF (?) between the columns supporting the steel joist. Not sure why twin beam tie together are being used here other than snow loading and that's pushing it.

The west end still has a fair amount of work to be done before its at grade.

Lots more photos up on site.
6607777111_76f52922d2_b.jpg

6607787789_0a57bf2c43_b.jpg

6607911483_04c85162c5_b.jpg

6607917829_6c352b9bcf_b.jpg

6607895955_32c90a0b23_b.jpg

Back