Yonge & Rich Condominiums | 156.35m | 46s | Great Gulf | a—A

condovo

Member Bio
Reaction score
March 13, 2021

The parapet’s installed. I sent this pic to relatives in Atlanta and they were like, “Wowzers!”

4B25DC64-75DD-40C5-BE4A-F7044C327995.jpeg

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
March 13, 2021

The parapet’s installed. I sent this pic to relatives in Atlanta and they were like, “Wowzers!”

View attachment 305693
Atlantans are really easy to impress.

They like this condo, we have a much better subway system than theirs, and Toronto is much more densely built than Atlanta.

.dwg

Member Bio
Reaction score
Graziani and Great Gulf did a real number on the podium of this thing. It’s one of the worst podium designs I’ve seen in a good long while. Super disappointing.

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
Graziani and Great Gulf did a real number on the podium of this thing. It’s one of the worst podium designs I’ve seen in a good long while. Super disappointing.
Disappointing, especially since the tower turned out nicely.

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I guess it's safe to say they're not painting those podium slabs red as picted in the renders at this point... :(

Last edited:

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
So I guess it's safe to say they're not painting those podium slabs red as depicted in the renders at this point... :(
They don't paint precast, they stain it, as paint would flake off whereas stain seeps in. You'd only ever stain neutrally coloured precast (normally with a brick pattern molded into it). Dark precast, (as here, which would have been tinted when it was molded) wouldn't show the stain particularly well. King West Life Condos are an example of where a rather anemic, monotone stain job was done on neutral precast, and BackYard Neighbourhood Condos is an example of where are pretty good job was done. Like I said though, we have a tinted precast here (and boy is it ever dull).

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
They don't paint precast, they stain it, as paint would flake off whereas stain seeps in. You'd only ever stain neutrally coloured precast (normally with a brick pattern molded into it). Dark precast, (as here, which would have been tinted when it was molded) wouldn't show the stain particularly well. King West Life Condos are an example of where a rather anemic, monotone stain job was done on neutral precast, and BackYard Neighbourhood Condos is an example of where are pretty good job was done. Like I said though, we have a tinted precast here (and boy is it ever dull).

Well thank you for explaining that for me...

But as one can tell, I'm not in the industry as I am using quaint n00b terms in describing standard techniques here. So I'll now amend my respective post to: I guess it's safe to say they're not staining those podium slabs red as depicted in the renders at this point. :(