Toronto Yonge & Rich Condominiums | 156.35m | 46s | Great Gulf | a—A

I was involved with a hearing in 2012 for which the decision came down in 2 months. It's true that most involved were surprised by the speed!

LOL! A "special information feature" from the Globe. So "innovative" of GG to combine two condos in one building! Barf.

What do developers patting themselves on their backs have to do with land use policy? What's ironic is a bunch of guys that can't see past grey spandrel towers and red brick homes giving out awards for quality and innovation.

What do developers patting themselves on their backs have to do with land use policy? What's ironic is a bunch of guys that can't see past grey spandrel towers and red brick homes giving out awards for quality and innovation.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Unfortunately, Automation Gallery does not set his standards much higher than what Toronto developers will provide at the lowest overhead, and seems to think that a BILD Award is a suggestion of a building's greatness and therefore that it should be approved. Unless he's referring to some other "irony" that we're not getting.

Simple. There would be no benefit to giving a prize to a building that is already sold and built. The purpose of the prize is to push sales. Just like the Oscar always goes to a movie that is still in the theatres.

I find it 'odd" that the High Rise Project of the Year is not only not built but not yet approved. They have appealed to OMB. High Rise RENDERING of the Year, maybe!

Same was done in 2013 with the Massey Tower, which at the time was also under review at the OMB, it has yet to break ground
One of the biggest winners in last Friday’s BILD Awards was the proposed Massey Tower, .......http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/04/torontos-best-lauded-33rd-annual-bild-awards

Massey Tower never went to the OMB and construction work within the heritage building has already begun.

Massey Tower never went to the OMB and construction work within the heritage building has already begun.

Yes and no....and it has yet to breakground

I've been in touch with a number of people about this today.

In fact the building is being held up for the moment by an appeal at the OMB, brought on behalf of the off-shore owners of 205 Yonge Street, which is the vacant Bank of Toronto building immediately to the north. The owners have never had a tenant in their building, and they have allowed it to deteriorate—much to the concern of the Ontario Heritage Trust who hold the Heritage Easement Agreement on the property.

It's probably financially-motivated. I don't see their objection having any planning merit.

MOD is trying to arrange a hearing as soon as possible so that both they and Massey Hall can proceed with their projects. That probably means a few months.

So, patience is required on this now!

The post of mine that you've quoted, AG, was true at the time, but is now out of date. The OMB hearing never happened as the owner of 205 Yonge withdrew his appeal before the date for the hearing.

While machinery has not moved in to start tearing down the back walls of the bank, as thecharioteer says, work is going on inside already in advance of that.

So no need to worry, Massey Tower is under way.

After some last minute concessions by the developer and lots of neighbourhood consultation the City Planners and the developer have agreement on Yonge & Rich. The details go to Council this week and if approved will be presented to OMB as a settlement - a hearing is booked for early November. See: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-73114.pdf

Lol..unbelievable that a 5 storey/10 meter chop would make that much difference:D

Height
The July 16, 2014 Request for Direction staff report states that the initial 50-storey
building is too tall in the context and should be more reflective of its surrounding context.
The latest revisions propose a 45-storey tower with a height of 142 metres (154 metres
including mechanical elements). The revised building height is more appropriate with
respect to the existing and planned context of the area which is on a site that is not within
the Financial District.

Back