Toronto Yonge & Rich Condominiums | 156.35m | 46s | Great Gulf | a—A

Why take it so seriously though? It's pretty tongue-in-cheek; it's like a wink, just a little mischief. It's nothing to stress about anyway.

Or maybe "yonge" people who think owning a 300K condo means they're "rich"?

maybe rich in terms of an interesting and fun lifestyle, not financial means?
there is absolutely nothing wrong with the name of the condo. Nobody will buy or refuse to buy the condo just because of the name, right? No matter you like it or not, everyone remembers it now and boom the advertisement achieved its goal.

Why take it so seriously though? It's pretty tongue-in-cheek; it's like a wink, just a little mischief. It's nothing to stress about anyway.

We can't POSSIBLY take it seriously and that's the problem. It's generally not in good taste to be tongue-in-cheek about "Look how much money I have!". I can't possibly imagine telling my friends "I live at the Yonge+Rich condos". Similarly, the TCHC didn't name their project near Yonge and Richmond the "Yonge & Poor".

Perhaps beating a dead horse but I had to respond. I do think it's relevant in a downtown core where the non-rich are being increasingly pushed out.

Seems like a very busy and noisy intersection ... How far up would you have to be to avoid the clamour?

Haha yes, it's right in the heart of downtown Toronto. The building will cater to those who want to walk to work or school or be super close to the subway, not necessarily for someone seeking peace and quiet. Although inside a unit, it should be pretty quiet with double-paned windows regardless of height.

We can't POSSIBLY take it seriously and that's the problem. It's generally not in good taste to be tongue-in-cheek about "Look how much money I have!". I can't possibly imagine telling my friends "I live at the Yonge+Rich condos". Similarly, the TCHC didn't name their project near Yonge and Richmond the "Yonge & Poor".

Perhaps beating a dead horse but I had to respond. I do think it's relevant in a downtown core where the non-rich are being increasingly pushed out.

+1.

One of the most obnoxious and insulting brandings in my recent memory.

But no one uses the name of an apartment building other than salespeople. No one, other than Patrick Bateman and his constant references to the American Gardens building.

But no one uses the name of an apartment building other than salespeople. No one, other than Patrick Bateman and his constant references to the American Gardens building.

Wrong. In fact, I am always surprised at how often people in Toronto (who are not skyscraper enthusiasts) will refer to their building by its name.

"I live in the Murano"
"I have a friend who lives at Pinnacle as well!"

I feel like in other cities people refer to their buildings by address, but the names of many Toronto condos have caught on in popular usage.

Yeah I've noticed that too, particularly for larger developments with more than one phase, 'I live in...MLS, Pinnacle, CityPlace, Infinity, etc' but I find it less common with single building developments (I know several people who have lived at places like The Morgan, The Hudson and Quad Lofts, only one or two actually would refer to it by name like that).

the name/branding of this condo may be obnoxious but I think this building is fantastic in terms of design and the location is outstanding.

Back