Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Not really surprising.. But slightly sad as well. At least we can hopefully look forward to the Yonge extension opening sometime in 2025..

I can't believe people thought smallspy didn't know that there are connections between the YUS and BD lines.

What M II A II R II K said (and as now should be clear) was a connection between Lower Bay and the Yonge line (not the University or Spadina lines) which does not exist and would me monstrously expensive for no clear benefit.

I thought that was the point of Lower Bay, to interline with the Yonge Line south without having to transfer.

Why stop at Richmond Hill? When will the terminus be at Jackson's Point/Sutton on Lake Simcoe? That's where the radial cars ran until the 1930's.

metropolitan-map.jpg

Finch Station as terminus: 1974–2025

That would be over half a century as terminus station.

I don't know if it's really impressive, given in how few phases the subway has been built. It went up to Eglinton and then Finch, right? Finch's longevity as a terminus can mostly be seen of a symptom of how the TTC fell behind the times. Heck, Wilson only lost its status when they built a single new stop. The real question for people to consider is how many people around 1970 were up in arms over a subway going to "nowhere" up in the suburbs. More than a few, I suspect.

I think WK Lis is being ironic (?) but Richmond Hill is way, way, way more developed now than Finch was in 1974. It's sad how divorced planning has become from the transit planning decisions (see: Scarborough) but things like the Oak Ridges Moraine provide an actual break in development that makes the current RH terminal perfectly logical while leaving glorious Sutton to the GO crowd. (That said, the radial map is always fun to look at. People used to take Sunday trips up to Bond Lake and Lake Wilcox for picnics. A more innocent age :) )

There could be merit making a new tunnel between Rosedale and Bloor, directly to Lower Bay. Maybe even have half the Yonge trains divert there, and have the rest bypass the transfer altogether.

And strangely enough a Lower Bay transfer would be far more convenient than the current one!

There may be a bit, but at what cost? Some of the proposals that the TTC has come up with for improving Bloor-Yonge Station have a price tag of a billion dollars. Connection tracks as you propose may cost almost that much. That money would be far more useful towards expanding the network.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Reading the comments on Munro, I am now thinking that the best option is an extension of the subway to Steeles combined with LRT north, all the the way to Elgin Mills. If it is demonstrated that the maximum passenger carrying capacity of the LRT line will be enough to meet demand for some time to come it would provide a transit option for the greatest number of people in the shortest amount of time.
York Region takes greater control over the project and it's timeline, the fight between the disparate municipal governments working at cross purposes , each in the best interests of their citizenry, comes to an end and we don't have to wait until the DRL is built to begin providing transit to residents of York Region.

An easy underground transfer from LRT to the subway will cost mere minutes in time. Diverting more passengers to the Spadina line through route detours, reduced fares on the Richmond Hill go line to encourage greater use and integrated fare systems could further help alleviate crowding on the Yonge line.

Start digging the subway to Steeles as soon as the boring machines are available. The environmental assessment is complete and the need to get hundreds of buses daily off this section of Yonge is apparent. The effect on the downward sections of the line will be minimal since the bulk of the commuters boarding at Finch will simply move north to Steeles. The LRT would provide a fast, reliable option for commuters heading into North York or Mid Town while those traveling into the core would more likely choose the Go option due to a single mode down to their destination.

York Region is the fastest growing in the GTA and Markham, Vaughan and Richmond Hill all have solid growth plans that include urban density throughout the Yonge Street Corridor. This is a goal that should be supported but the bickering over which transit opportunity should have priority only serves to stagnate the disirable development.

No way a surface LRT would be able to handle the loads. You either do grade seperated (at which point you may as well do subway) or do nothing.

Agreed. I used to read Munro's opinion pieces but I've since stopped after I realized he just bickers whenever any transit development is geared toward York Region and out of Toronto proper.

The Yonge subway was originally a BRT route, but that got shelved when people + politicians started demanding a subway instead for long-term planning reasons. It makes even less sense to shove a BRT or LRT now than it did in 2006 when this whole debate started. At this point, too much intensification is planned for north of Steeles to 7 (and beyond, to 16th) for this to be anything except for a subway.

Yeah, and that's just Markham's corner of Yonge and 7! Richmond Hill has something just as big planned and I'd assume Vaughan has plans as well.

Back