Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

My understanding (largely from reading Steve Munro) is that it is simply not possible from an engineering standpoint to expand Bloor/Yonge any further.

There could still be an addition south platform on the Bloor line that would not only provide more space, but push half the passengers further down to start off with.

In the mean time they should divert Yonge trains to Lower Bay and transfer there, whilst both Bloor/Yonge platforms are expanded.

With what track? There are currently no track connections possible between the Yonge and B-D Lines.

And building those connections would be monsterously expensive - possibly as much as some of the schemes that the TTC has come up with to expand capacity there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

there are ways to transfer trains between the two lines.. TTC even ran interlining when the B-D line first opened for 6 months.

there are ways to transfer trains between the two lines.. TTC even ran interlining when the B-D line first opened for 6 months.

Right. For a Yonge line train to get to Bloor/Danforth it needs to go past Museum station (via Union); the reverse is also true for B-D trains to Yonge line.

With what track? There are currently no track connections possible between the Yonge and B-D Lines.

And building those connections would be monsterously expensive - possibly as much as some of the schemes that the TTC has come up with to expand capacity there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There are connections between all of the TTCs heavy rail routes.

I've often thought it might be interesting to close down Yonge station, and have passengers go through the underground mall to Bay to transfer. The walk feels shorter than the one at Spadina.

That said, the walkway is already insanely packed without such a setup. Doing this would just be pandamonium to the pedestrian traffic congestion.

There are connections between all of the TTCs heavy rail routes.

here:
SubwayTrack.jpg

There is no connection b/w Yonge and Bloor lines at Bloor/Yonge

Attachments

• SubwayTrack.jpg
    SubwayTrack.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 415
There is no way that Yonge is opening in three years, even if it were funded today. There isn't a single shovel in the ground. I'd say a realistic timeframe for Yonge would be five to seven years from now and the Relief Line in nine to ten.
I'd agree that Yonge in 3 years seems unlikely. The table does say 3-6 years though ... I can only think that 3 years is for a short 1-station extension to Steeles.

At the same time 9-10 for the DRL seems optimistic a bit optismistic to me as well. This would be the most complex extension in history of TTC, particularly downtown.

My understanding (largely from reading Steve Munro) is that it is simply not possible from an engineering standpoint to expand Bloor/Yonge any further -- there are several rather large and heavy buildings all above it in the area, and very complex utilities lines running through. That's one of the main reasons why the DRL is so needed, because nothing more can really be done at B/Y.
I haven't gotten that at all from reading Steve Munro. I thought there was serious discussion there of building a second Yonge platform ... and even the possibility of a third Bloor platform. However it would be very expensive, especially for the Bloor platform.

There could be merit making a new tunnel between Rosedale and Bloor, directly to Lower Bay. Maybe even have half the Yonge trains divert there, and have the rest bypass the transfer altogether.

And strangely enough a Lower Bay transfer would be far more convenient than the current one!

There could be merit making a new tunnel between Rosedale and Bloor, directly to Lower Bay. Maybe even have half the Yonge trains divert there, and have the rest bypass the transfer altogether.

To say this would be difficult to construct is an understatement. Neither line is deeper than foundations of the buildings around it.

Last edited:
I... uh... what?

Southbound trains would take this new connector to Lower Bay, and then... what exactly?
They reverse out, and take a second new connector to continue southbound? They reverse out and head back north? They become westbound Bloor trains?

I can't believe people thought smallspy didn't know that there are connections between the YUS and BD lines.

What M II A II R II K said (and as now should be clear) was a connection between Lower Bay and the Yonge line (not the University or Spadina lines) which does not exist and would me monstrously expensive for no clear benefit.

Back