Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I can't help but doubt these claims. 20% seems VERY HIGH. While the amount of WFH cases will increase, its important to remember that A) A lot of Jobs and thus employers won't allow WFH to be an option due to technological constraints (even if the pandemic showed its possible to work from home, its more than likely that productivity and workforce effectiveness is reduced in WFH environments) then there's also B) people who don't want to work from home. I have no doubt that it won't be 20% working from home. If we were to take the estimate that 50% enjoy WFH and 50% don't, we have to cut off all trade, worker, associate, teaching, and lab jobs from the equation, and only consider the jobs that can be done from home without restrictions. This basically only leaves us with IT and Software Development, which takes up no more than 10% of the working population.
Many business administration jobs can be done largely from home. Same with call centre-type jobs.

Many business administration jobs can be done largely from home. Same with call centre-type jobs.
Why do people still go to the Scotiabank Centre or Rogers Centre? They could watch it all on their big-screen televisions at home? I remember in the 1950's, the hockey games were shown on television, but only after 9 PM or about the second period. They evolved to showing the entire game on television, and people were still going to the game itself.

Hmm, I can't say my cubicle is something to be experienced. Hell, I don't even have a cubicle. I am a guest at the office they want me to go to on a regular basis. No assigned work station, and I can only have a bankers box worth of storage at the office (which I don't even bother to use).

A lot of businesses do that one big example is the Walt Disney Travel Company and its subdivisions. Most of the regular staff work from home and only management is in the officers. They have people all over the US that do everything from making bookings for travel to answering calls to the front desk of the resort that you are at.

Why do people still go to the Scotiabank Centre or Rogers Centre? They could watch it all on their big-screen televisions at home? I remember in the 1950's, the hockey games were shown on television, but only after 9 PM or about the second period. They evolved to showing the entire game on television, and people were still going to the game itself.
Because we're not hermits? Social interaction is part of the human condition. Pediatric scientists have often commented on the impact Covid restrictions have had on social development.

I suppose the same question could be asked about any number of day-to-day activities, but a lot of them that allow someone to stay home and hide from humanity are predicated on somebody else having to venture out.

Ob the contrary, you can also ask how many people watch the game in person vs on TV. I bet the former group is much smaller in size than the latter.

Ob the contrary, you can also ask how many people watch the game in person vs on TV. I bet the former group is much smaller in size than the latter.
I fine sitting in the stand boring that it been a decade since I was last at a Jay game. Will not find me watching hockey or the CFL in person and a blue moon on TV.

Does anyone have any update why the YNSE Advanced Tunnels RFQ did not go out as planned? Is it related to finalizing the financing for the Royal Orchard Station and Cummer station? or is it cause of the home owners around Royal Orchard Station? or maybe Ford is timing the announcement of the additional stations with campaign style speech like he did at EGWLRT/OL... That would make sense

Any insight would be great.

Maybe this thread should be changed to the Line 1 Subway Extensions (plural)? See link for York's Transportation Master Plan.

From link.

Proposed_2051TransitMapAODAMarch2022.jpg

They're thinking about extending Line 1's Yonge Street leg up to Major Mackenzie Drive & Yonge Street, and Line 1's Jane Street leg up to Major Mackenzie Drive & Canada's Wonderland.by 2051. Includes GO Trains extensions.

Last edited:
This isn't new and has been brought up before, usually as evidence York Region is up to something nefarious; trying to get even more subways they don't deserve.
As they explain:
The Transportation Master Plan is the long-term vision for York Region’s transportation network, encompassing strategy, initiatives and infrastructure. The plan looks ahead 30 years and considers the Region’s transportation infrastructure needs to support growth and the changing needs of travellers. It supports healthy communities and economic growth by planning for safe, reliable travel and efficient movement of goods.

If you drew up a 30-year plan for yourself it would also probably look different than where you actually end up 30 years from now but that doesn't mean looking ahead, considering what your needs might be etc. is a bad exercise. I think we've all seen many, many transit and transportation plans that did not remotely materialize as planned.

So, I don't think we need to worry much about changing the thread name or otherwise treat this as a probable reality any time in the near future.

Agreed, this thread is about the specific extension on Yonge, as a project.

That said, it feels like Toronto should be doing more thinking about where future rapid transit lines should go. It's odd that there are only furtive dotted lines added for Sheppard East, etc.. To me, there should be a roadmap of what we think the next round of lines after Yonge North, Line 5, OL, and Scarborough Line 2 would look like. Even if they are 40 years away, we should be planning with them in mind.

"April 14, 2022 | Release of updated EPR addendum

Metrolinx released the updated Environmental Project Report addendum after seeking and addressing public feedback on the draft report posted in February 2022. The report includes public comments received throughout the comment period."

Back