Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Now that they are building something south of Eglinton station makes it harder to build a passing track there in the open section.

I don't see it happening unless they build a whole new parallel tunnel beside the current line.

Now that they are building something south of Eglinton station makes it harder to build a passing track there in the open section.

I don't see it happening unless they build a whole new parallel tunnel beside the current line.
I mean an alternate universe version of Toronto's network, I imagine express tracks running between St. Clair North, and south it diverts to Bay Street where it becomes a Bay subway.

Theoretically we could pull an NYC 6th Avenue and just put the express tracks under the existing tracks - then divert it to Bay, or run them under the entire length of the line. However, this would be a very expensive project, and likely wouldn't be worth the cost.

Considering the line is at capacity, limiting density along the extension may be a good move.

The line isn't at capacity; lots and lots of room for walk-in traffic.

The buses feeding it, at non-trivial expense I might add, could be sent elsewhere and all that Yonge ridership simply evaporates (on the Yonge line).

Yonge appears to be at capacity because we've designed and funded the bus network to make it that way. It was efficient to build a single trunk line early on; it's not as efficient to maintain that structure today. Hopefully Ontario Line is just the start of lighter-weight trunk routes.

Last edited:
And plus there wouldn't be the large crowds at Finch anymore since the passengers trickling in would be dispersed amongst the extra new stations up the line.

This is true (and something many of the "it shouldn't go north of Steeles!" people have missed all along; the existing ridership bubble at Finch is already largely coming from people forced to drive or bus there from the north. That doesn't really help people further south, I grant you, but it will make more more efficient travel on the system's north end, overall. If you care about the ridership experience, that should strike you as a plus.

As for these ideas about short-turning or express trains... nice dreams but I don't think any of it is practical. Growth along Yonge is also coming, whether anyone likes it or not. The best prospects for taking the heavy ridership off of the Yonge line is to make parallel routes more viable. RH GO improvements won't do much, it's a different ridership. Eventually taking the Ontario Line up to Highway 7 (whether as a subway or, as originally planned, a Don Mills LRT) probably would help. Whatever can be done to ensure people west of Yonge are funnelled over to the Spadina line is probably also good but riders will choose whatever route is most efficient for them, over the long term. The more options you can offer them the better, but you can't force them to take routes you think make sense; they have to actually be preferable.

Last edited:
Fair but, in truth, the idea I'm floating is a bit different: two lines. One is the Ontario Line whose northern terminus is at Eglinton. The other is the RH line whose southern terminus would now be at Eglinton. You'd need good physical integration for those continuing on in either direction.

The downside is, obviously, transforming a one-seat ride into a two-segment one. But the benefit would be far greater flexibility for those riders, along with an approach that is viable long-term.

Hypothetically, you could have AD2W service on the RH line between its northern terminus and a TTC connection at Oriole-Leslie, somewhere on the OL or even at North Toronto/Summerhill (if we're really being ambitious) while maintaining some rush hour service to Union along the current route. Whether the ridership would exist to support such service levels/justify the expense is an entirely different matter.

Got this bit of twaddle in the mail today:

20220302_215656.jpg

20220302_215715.jpg

The vibration measurement box:

20220302_212244.jpg

Me too :)

If you look at a map of the Thornhill riding, Royal Orchard is a relatively small part of it. No doubt there are others who empathize and there are probably others who are concerned about the density the subway will bring and so you can try to tap in to that general negativity. Perhaps she's got some polling that shows this is a winning move - for a federal MP to blanket the riding with a stance on a Provincial issue (yes, she's right the feds are kicking in $) - but I don't see it myself.

Back