Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I disagree.

These are all vote buying exercises imo, and I wish people would admit as much. We should not be saying Scarborough can't have a subway if Vaughan/Markham/RH get 2. These are all suburban subways.

Don't forget the population of Vaughan/Markham/RH is already larger than Scarborough and is forecasted to grow at a much higher rate.

Also, not sure why people are complaining about lower ridership for the YSSE, terminus stations will always appear to have low ridership, but are essential for connectivity.

This is outright laughable coming a week after Toronto City Council voted NOT to evaluate SSE vs an LRT. But now the project with a complete EA somehow is demonstrative of LESS analysis than SSE? Gimme a break.

We have an entire thread judging that line, this is about Yonge north of Steeles and it's merits...which are thin at best

I could argue that there is far more development potential along the Yonge line, generally, and certainly more at the planned terminal than STC. I can show how it interfaces with planned and existing infrastructure while SSE will require illogical realignment to funnel things into its terminal. I can spend along time explaining the differences and in some areas it might even be SSE has advantages YN does not (hey, it's in TORONTO, for one thing!) but the idea that they're the same or that supporting one logically requires supporting all those projects doesn't stand up to much scrutiny to me. If Toronto had its act together and had built the DRL at some point, it would be as much of a no-brainer as going up to Finch in the 1970s.

Argue and show all you want. But "potential" and "planned" can only get you so far. How about looking at present-day reality. Transit ridership in YR is a joke. For such a high and mighty place that supposedly has its 'act together', you'd think ridership would be a little bit higher to warrant the hootin and hollerin. It's downright dinky. Then you got things like Davis Drive. Quarter Billion dollars and carries 1,000 per day? What the hell's going on up there lol.

As bad as TO's infrastructure deficit is, surely we've been doing something right all these decades. And while you're giddily bashing Scarb, guess what: there's way more density, ridership, and high density nodes there than anywhere in York Region. And it's been that way for quite some time. Not in some render, not in some skewed report...in present day reality. The decrepit, short, maxed-capacity Line 3 with a transfer (gasp) carries way more riders than the entire VIVA system. And more than the ridership for cities like Vaughan, Richmond Hill, and Vaughan. As do many lowly bus routes.

Already been a decade since this extension was proposed, ditto for the supposed massive downtowns that are to sprout up at RHC-LG. Point is, perpetually talking the pieties of "planned" and "proposed" can only get you so far. Before long the future catches up and becomes the present.

Argue and show all you want. But "potential" and "planned" can only get you so far. How about looking at present-day reality. Transit ridership in YR is a joke. For such a high and mighty place that supposedly has its 'act together', you'd think ridership would be a little bit higher to warrant the hootin and hollerin. It's downright dinky. Then you got things like Davis Drive. Quarter Billion dollars and carries 1,000 per day? What the hell's going on up there lol.

As bad as TO's infrastructure deficit is, surely we've been doing something right all these decades. And while you're giddily bashing Scarb, guess what: there's way more density, ridership, and high density nodes there than anywhere in York Region. And it's been that way for quite some time. Not in some render, not in some skewed report...in present day reality. The decrepit, short, maxed-capacity Line 3 with a transfer (gasp) carries way more riders than the entire VIVA system. And more than the ridership for cities like Vaughan, Richmond Hill, and Vaughan. As do many lowly bus routes.

Already been a decade since this extension was proposed, ditto for the supposed massive downtowns that are to sprout up at RHC-LG. Point is, perpetually talking the pieties of "planned" and "proposed" can only get you so far. Before long the future catches up and becomes the present.

Funny thing about subways....no matter the objection, the argument eventually comes down to "think long term, it'll make sense eventually. One day. Maybe."

We have an entire thread judging that line, this is about Yonge north of Steeles and it's merits...which are thin at best

Pretty much. Obviously something of significant quality should be built, and no doubt could be considering the pricetag of the extension. Contrary to some posts here I've never seen anyone that says otherwise. Had it been studied this 'something' could have similar speed, capacity, stations, attractiveness, etc as a Line 1 extn. Not to mention travel further into Richmond Hill to fulfill parts of YR's fanciful TMP. Maybe something Crosstown-esque, or like Line 3. Ultimately it's the same argument as with SSE: i.e spend x more Billions to not have a transfer.

Funny thing about subways....no matter the objection, the argument eventually comes down to "think long term, it'll make sense eventually. One day. Maybe."

Thing is though is that I'm a huge supporter of subway/metro expansion for the GTA. Even well into the 905. Considering the demand across the region I think we should expand by +200% over the next 25yrs. I just don't support the current ungodly pricetag for deep bore extensions of our existing 150m-designed system, especially when there's other unstudied ways of approaching it. Even if Wynne brought out the revenue tools it still wouldn't be enough to fulfill the demand. Yes there might be dreaded transfers, but I think it could be done. Much in the same way we planned for with Line 3 and its upgrade. Doesn't have to be proprietary or anything, just not built as costly.

Last edited:
The Toronto subway is well, Toronto's. The city clearly wants those vehicles off the road north of Finch and feels the subway to Steeles is the best way to achieve that. I'd support the city building that stretch on their own with no stations in between.

But you don't seem to understand that it isn't Toronto's mandate to fix York Region's traffic nor ensure the development of their city centre. Also, you clearly dismissed the fiscal reality of my opposition to the subway going out of the city and you clearly dismissed the conditions needed for me to support it.
Hopefully Tory thinks the way way or else he should not run for mayor of Toronto and go run provincially

Doesn't have to be proprietary or anything, just not built as costly.
It becomes costly to the point of being surreal. One wonders if this can't be expressed like is done in Economics: e.g: "The Hamburger Index", so that unimaginable sums can be appreciated in terms of something tangible.

I'm always struck when thinking of this extension by the pictures of the interurban that ran up Yonge as far as Lake Simcoe, it must have been an incredible ride in its day, and evidently quite fast. About the speed of today's subways!

And it cost a relative pittance to build when expressed as a ratio to the tangibles of the day. Not unlike the cost of housing...

The Big Mac Index is published by The Economist as an informal way of measuring the purchasing power parity (PPP) between two currencies and provides a test of the extent to which market exchange rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.
Big Mac Index - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

Hopefully Tory thinks the way way or else he should not run for mayor of Toronto and go run provincially
Wynne has already staked her ground, and she can get more votes saying "no" to Toronto than "yes" when playing to the 905 and 519 regions.

Argue and show all you want.

I will, old friend!

But "potential" and "planned" can only get you so far.

Let's be clear - because we sometimes have a tendency to put words in each other's mouths.

Not a single human being knows the future. It is entirely reasonable to expect that the UGC in question won't materialize precisely as envisioned (no pods for one!) and certainly not on the anticipated timeline. If such plans always came to fruition, Scarborough would be thriving and the whole subway debate would be different.

But...

How about looking at present-day reality. Transit ridership in YR is a joke. For such a high and mighty place that supposedly has its 'act together', you'd think ridership would be a little bit higher to warrant the hootin and hollerin. It's downright dinky. Then you got things like Davis Drive. Quarter Billion dollars and carries 1,000 per day? What the hell's going on up there lol.

This is nonsense.
First of all, YRT is no more "high and mighty" than the TTC but let's leave that aside.
Let's also leave aside the general tenor here, which is to bash a suburb for promoting transit and trying to intensify around transit corridors. You can literally LOL at it all you want; I find it absurd.

When it comes to ridership, TTC cannibalizes YRT in the south. There is no way to know what YRT ridership would be if not for the double fare but to sum up it up in one word, it would be "higher." (And, by corollary, TTC routes along the YR border would be "lower." Undeniably.)

One of your most consistent flaws, if you don't mind me saying so politely, is a misunderstanding of planning timelines. We both know what kind of community Newmarket is so save your LOL's. It's a TOWN. It's TINY. Viva is supposed to transform that corridor over a GENERATION. The BRT wasn't designed because of the high ridership on Davis (au contraire, because of all the CAR TRAFFIC) but to stimulate development in a provincially designated growth centre, in a growing municipality, between Yonge Street and a major employment node around the hospital. You surely know this, while laughing at their "complete street" faux pas.

Similarly, we both know York Region is suburban, duh. Most of it was developed after the 1970s and it's primarily auto-oriented. You seem to think they're a joke because they haven't turned into downtown Toronto overnight but that's not how it works and it's not how it is supposed to work and it's not how they said it would work. North York Centre has taken THIRTY YEARS to get where it is today so call me back in 2035 before you laugh at YRT's ridership and the lack of same on Davis Drive. Really.

So, we don't know the future and we know plans are imperfect and we know there are a lot of things we can't know for sure.

What is a very safe bet is that intensification will continue along Yonge Street. You can see it as far north as Major Mac and the forest has been steadily marching north from the 401, now up to Cummer (but for the hydro corridor). There are already towers going in north of Steeles and they will continue to do so.

Without the subway, things will come much slower in the UGC itself and on the Vaughan side of Yonge, where existing uses (big box and car dealerships respectively) will remain more financially viable than the strip malls on the Markham side.

As bad as TO's infrastructure deficit is, surely we've been doing something right all these decades.

No, that does not logically follow. And let's be clear - I LOVE TORONTO. This is not Toronto bashing. I'm not going to get into a large-scale economic argument about how and why Toronto is succeeding despite a piss poor record of managing infrastructure and having some real swings in terms of quality of governance. There are many things that position the city to be a great 21st Century city. But at some point it will hit a wall if gaps (ie the DRL) are not filled in.

And while you're giddily bashing Scarb, guess what: there's way more density, ridership, and high density nodes there than anywhere in York Region.

I'm not BASHING Scarborough - I'm talking about the reality which is that, unlike North York Centre, it has failed to develop as planned. I would love for Scarb to be well-serviced by transit and to urbanize. the reality is that whatever it is they "want" they haven't gotten it in the 30+ years those plans have been in place, even with the SRT. As it stands, and as Keesmaat has said, there's nothing new going on there right now at all; it's all being pinned on the subway. That contrasts strongly with what's happening in YR, despite your spin.

We can't compare futures - because they haven't happened - but we can clearly see, over the past generation, where development is going and it's obviously going more to the Yonge corridor - whether we're talking by the lake, around Eg and St. Clair, around NYCC or in York Region - than to the area around STC. Because the main flaw of the single-stop plan is that there is absolutely no new development possible along the corridor, the difference between these two plans (Yonge corridor + UGC) and Scarb (no corridor + UGC) is obvious.

Again, see previous comments about timelines and cause and effect. You seem to think the UGC has failed because it's been 10 years since it was proposed and nothing has happened, ignoring that the subway wasn't built in that time. I didn't write Places to Grow, establishing 2031 targets. I didn't tell York Region, in 2007, they were at the top of the list for a subway to facilitate that UGC. I also didn't tell Scarborough, in 1981, they'd have a thriving jobs centre around STC. Stuff happens, is the point. It has nothing to do with "piety" or hubris but how long it takes things to happen in planning and how many things are beyond your control.

Obviously, had the subway been funded in 2010 things would look very different now. If North York Centre didn't get its subway stop until 1995, it would look different too. There would, without any doubt whatsoever, be condo sales centres in Langstaff Gateway right now if the subway (or even RER) had moved forward, and the first wave of construction would be underway. Those plans are contingent (as you know) on the subway and RER and even the 407 Transitway. The fact that those pieces are coming slower than anticipated doesn't mean the thing has failed but that it's behind schedule, as one would expect. So you're proving my point, not your own.

The success of these various projects (Scarb, YR etc.) is not mutually exclusive except to the extent funding moves certain things ahead of others. Your microscopic, time-specific analysis , and limited view of shifting planning dynamics across a 25-year growth plan really fails to take that into account.

Last edited:
I will, old friend!

Let's be clear - because we sometimes have a tendency to put words in each other's mouths.

Not a single human being knows the future. It is entirely reasonable to expect that the UGC in question won't materialize precisely as envisioned (no pods for one!) and certainly not on the anticipated timeline. If such plans always came to fruition, Scarborough would be thriving and the whole subway debate would be different.

But...

This is nonsense.
First of all, YRT is no more "high and mighty" than the TTC but let's leave that aside.
Let's also leave aside the general tenor here, which is to bash a suburb for promoting transit and trying to intensify around transit corridors. You can literally LOL at it all you want; I find it absurd.

When it comes to ridership, TTC cannibalizes YRT in the south. There is no way to know what YRT ridership would be if not for the double fare but to sum up it up in one word, it would be "higher." (And, by corollary, TTC routes along the YR border would be "lower." Undeniably.)

One of your most consistent flaws, if you don't mind me saying so politely, is a misunderstanding of planning timelines. We both know what kind of community Newmarket is so save your LOL's. It's a TOWN. It's TINY. Viva is supposed to transform that corridor over a GENERATION. The BRT wasn't designed because of the high ridership on Davis (au contraire, because of all the CAR TRAFFIC) but to stimulate development in a provincially designated growth centre, in a growing municipality, between Yonge Street and a major employment node around the hospital. You surely know this, while laughing at their "complete street" faux pas.

Similarly, we both know York Region is suburban, duh. Most of it was developed after the 1970s and it's primarily auto-oriented. You seem to think they're a joke because they haven't turned into downtown Toronto overnight but that's not how it works and it's not how it is supposed to work and it's not how they said it would work. North York Centre has taken THIRTY YEARS to get where it is today so call me back in 2035 before you laugh at YRT's ridership and the lack of same on Davis Drive. Really.

So, we don't know the future and we know plans are imperfect and we know there are a lot of things we can't know for sure.

What is a very safe bet is that intensification will continue along Yonge Street. You can see it as far north as Major Mac and the forest has been steadily marching north from the 401, now up to Cummer (but for the hydro corridor). There are already towers going in north of Steeles and they will continue to do so.

Without the subway, things will come much slower in the UGC itself and on the Vaughan side of Yonge, where existing uses (big box and car dealerships respectively) will remain more financially viable than the strip malls on the Markham side.

No, that does not logically follow. And let's be clear - I LOVE TORONTO. This is not Toronto bashing. I'm not going to get into a large-scale economic argument about how and why Toronto is succeeding despite a piss poor record of managing infrastructure and having some real swings in terms of quality of governance. There are many things that position the city to be a great 21st Century city. But at some point it will hit a wall if gaps (ie the DRL) are not filled in.

I'm not BASHING Scarborough - I'm talking about the reality which is that, unlike North York Centre, it has failed to develop as planned. I would love for Scarb to be well-serviced by transit and to urbanize. the reality is that whatever it is they "want" they haven't gotten it in the 30+ years those plans have been in place, even with the SRT. As it stands, and as Keesmaat has said, there's nothing new going on there right now at all; it's all being pinned on the subway. That contrasts strongly with what's happening in YR, despite your spin.

We can't compare futures - because they haven't happened - but we can clearly see, over the past generation, where development is going and it's obviously going more to the Yonge corridor - whether we're talking by the lake, around Eg and St. Clair, around NYCC or in York Region - than to the area around STC. Because the main flaw of the single-stop plan is that there is absolutely no new development possible along the corridor, the difference between these two plans (Yonge corridor + UGC) and Scarb (no corridor + UGC) is obvious.

Again, see previous comments about timelines and cause and effect. You seem to think the UGC has failed because it's been 10 years since it was proposed and nothing has happened, ignoring that the subway wasn't built in that time. I didn't write Places to Grow, establishing 2031 targets. I didn't tell York Region, in 2007, they were at the top of the list for a subway to facilitate that UGC. I also didn't tell Scarborough, in 1981, they'd have a thriving jobs centre around STC. Stuff happens, is the point. It has nothing to do with "piety" or hubris but how long it takes things to happen in planning and how many things are beyond your control.

Obviously, had the subway been funded in 2010 things would look very different now. If North York Centre didn't get its subway stop until 1995, it would look different too. There would, without any doubt whatsoever, be condo sales centres in Langstaff Gateway right now if the subway (or even RER) had moved forward, and the first wave of construction would be underway. Those plans are contingent (as you know) on the subway and RER and even the 407 Transitway. The fact that those pieces are coming slower than anticipated doesn't mean the thing has failed but that it's behind schedule, as one would expect. So you're proving my point, not your own.

The success of these various projects (Scarb, YR etc.) is not mutually exclusive except to the extent funding moves certain things ahead of others. Your microscopic, time-specific analysis , and limited view of shifting planning dynamics across a 25-year growth plan really fails to take that into account.

The bottom line is that we're no longer in 2009. Seems that subway planning as changed in this city due to the escalated costs of building the subway.

With the SSE expected to exceed $5B for a 6.2km, 1 stop subway, there's no way in hell that the YNSE (6 stations and over 7km) won't be in the $6B-$7B or more figure in tomorrow's dollars. There will be pressure to reduce the costs starting with stations having low ridership. Cummer, Clark, Royal Orchard & Langstaff will surely be on the chopping block. That leaves you with Steeles and RHC as potential stations,
  • Finch to Steeles is around 2.1km
  • Steeles to Richmond Hill Centre is 5km. You're basically looking at the 1 stop SSE 2.0 as the other stations would just drive up the cost while having low ridership
So again, let me ask you this and I don't need a novel, just your rational for not opting for this instead:
  • LRT Steeles to RHC 5km via Yonge Street
  • RHC to Vaughan Centre 11 km via Highway 7
  • Even if I exaggerated the cost and assume that YRT build a fancy LRT at $200M/km, that's $3.2B. Anyway you put it, LRT would be half of the costs of subway but with a larger coverage and way more stations.
  • Steeles Station could be designed like Lionel-Groulx in Montreal allowing cross plateform transfer
104398_9741b2f6d8b4edfc167e92b8b088c475ca9aafe0.jpg

You use the "growth and future development" to justify subway. Explain to me why having these 2 lines with all those stops along the way would prevent that from happening?

Last edited:
Just something to point: For RHC to Vaughan Centre 11 km via Highway 7. I assume you mean an LRT network? Unfortunately there is no such thing. The BRT is already under-construction, unless you want to tear that up; the chance is slimmer than you win a lottery. The route goes through the bathurst/centre area if you are wondering.

and the BRT from RHC to Newmarket is also under way. I think you better debate why not build a BRT from Steeles and up so that YR could finish the whole BRT network. LRT was never in the book (consider transferring twice on Yonge?? lol ppl would just drive instead). The ship has already sailed!

edit: maybe 100 years later the BRT will be updated to LRT but not in near future

She's already screwed anyway you see it. She's not even leading within Toronto, so she lost all the leverage she used to have. No Toronto=PC Majority.
And no matter which political bent you have, this spells big trouble for transit spending in Ontario. Can't remember if I raised this point in this forum or another, but Metrolinx being privatized whole or in part is not out of the question after the coming election.

Just something to point: For RHC to Vaughan Centre 11 km via Highway 7. I assume you mean an LRT network? Unfortunately there is no such thing. The BRT is already under-construction, unless you want to tear that up; the chance is slimmer than you win a lottery. The route goes through the bathurst/centre area if you are wondering.

and the BRT from RHC to Newmarket is also under way. I think you better debate why not build a BRT from Steeles and up so that YR could finish the whole BRT network. LRT was never and will never be in the book (consider transferring twice on Yonge?? lol ppl would just drive instead). The ship has already sailed!

Upgrading BRT to LRT is way less complex that you're letting on

Highway 7 gets its own sign of urbanity: a transit fight
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...its_own_sign_of_urbanity_a_transit_fight.html
Martow is not against development of the area altogether — in fact, she agrees that Centre St. needs a facelift — but her concern is that the rapidway, which will be transformed into light rail in decades to come, will pave the way for density not suitable for the neighbourhood.

Back