Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Just a thought. I drive and I use the 400 highways to get around for work. I use the 404 extension from Green Lane to Woodbine. I don't recall one ounce of the debate over 'drivership' (my facetious word) or use that that extension would ganer in comparison to the debate here over LRT, subway, stop justified or stop not justified.

Everyone here is probably debating here because we favour the idea and value of good public transportation. Or we're transit geeks or both. Why are we raging over details?

Shouldn't we be celebrating solid advances in the GTHA public transportation infrastructure?
Well, there was debate on those lines when it came to the Gardiner East.

The debates are about the best allocation of available funds. If money was not an issue, I would endorse a subway all the way to Elgin Mills (well, maybe not, since that would flood the Yonge Subway).

Well, there was debate on those lines when it came to the Gardiner East.

The debates are about the best allocation of available funds. If money was not an issue, I would endorse a subway all the way to Elgin Mills (well, maybe not, since that would flood the Yonge Subway).

There are going to be taxes raised. I hope that it's on the HST and dedicated to transit. There are going to have to be more funds. Doing this on a shoe-string and dodging the tough decisions for thirty years has not worked that well.

If the GTHA municipalities can not see that, don't expect Queen's park to sit back and watch a train wreck happen. Don't have any illusions that if the parochial fools running Brampton can't see that a fully funded LRT (local service) linking three inter-regional terminals (GO Port Credit to GO Cooksville to GO Brampton) is necessary (and good or great!) then Metrolinx and/or the province will step in like with any recalcitrant school board or hospital to set things right.

I don't understand how you can call LRT local service, especially the Hurontario line when the stations will be roughly 900 meters apart

Just a thought. I drive and I use the 400 highways to get around for work. I use the 404 extension from Green Lane to Woodbine. I don't recall one ounce of the debate over 'drivership' (my facetious word) or use that that extension would ganer in comparison to the debate here over LRT, subway, stop justified or stop not justified.

Everyone here is probably debating here because we favour the idea and value of good public transportation. Or we're transit geeks or both. Why are we raging over details?

Shouldn't we be celebrating solid advances in the GTHA public transportation infrastructure?

There's no question we debate transit expansions differently than road expansions, primarily because of how they're funded.

If it were otherwise, people would be freaking out over the fact the Yonge_Steeles intersection has been functioning at over design capacity for about 20 years. Or complaining about how you can't extend Dufferin into King City because of the downstream issues at the Allen Road.

As mentioned above, the Gardiner debate was different but that's because it was so much one-time funding and all the urban design issues.

But all that transit stuff of the past few weeks is encouraging. (even Scarborough, in a way :) )

Yonge Street, north of Finch, is not Scarborough. It will need stations at Cummer/Drewrey and Steeles, within the city proper, much more than any Scarborough subway station(s), singular or plural. In fact, there should be stations at Yonge & Blythwood and Yonge & Glen Echo before any station in Scarborough.

With or without a station? TTC priced that option without a station (for overnight train storage) but I don't recall what the cost was.
The extension was only just north of the Finch Station to support storage. It was about $500 million and brain dead on cost at this time.

TTC would be foolish not to build a station at Steeles if they built the line that far north for storage as well at Cummer/Drewrey.

TTC could build storage tracks between Finch and Steeles while building the extension and see no reason not doing it You could have 4 tracks in this area, since Yonge is 7 lanes wide today. To do this would be a cut and fill project.

We need this Yonge north connected to Wilson Yard before this happens

Sheppard Relief Line needed before Downtown Relief Line.

Downtown Relief Line needed before Scarborough Subway.

Scarborough Subway (since it's within TO) needed before Yonge Line (since Steeles is share with York).

Scarborough Subway (since it's within TO) needed before Yonge Line (since Steeles is share with York).

Yonge north is connected to Wilson Yard - via Union. It'll also have its own storage.

The "Sheppard Relief Line" is not needed at all, as there is nothing on Sheppard to be relieved. Crosstown will serve as an additional east-west link in the norther part of the subway.

The Scarborough Subway is not needed at all, because LRT would be superior. Even if it were needed, "it's within TO" vs "Steeles is shared with York" is not relevant to transit planning.

How many more white elephants do you want and how to pay for them?? You got everything backward as well what is needed in your life time at the rate Toronto building things.

The Sheppard line west to Wilson Yard is to allow work trains to get to/from the Yonge Line faster than today at a cost $1 billion if this is the Sheppard relief line. Using this as extension of the existing one will see triple lost than the current one. Far better off building LRT in place of subway on Sheppard until about 2100.

The Sheppard East extension will be triple to 5 times the current lost on the existing white elephant.

Downtown Relief line is #1 all the way to Steeles with a possible of an extension to Hwy 7 down the road.

# 2 is the Yonge extension to Steeles

# 3 is the extension from Kipling to Cloverdale

#4 is the planning on building a new express Yonge Line from Steeles to Queen Quay by Bay St with the possibility going to RH. Starting building the line in 2050 or sooner depending on development on Yonge and how much ridership is remove by the DRL.

#5 is taking the DRL west of University to Jane St that will go north, since Jane can't support surface LRT. Very few stations on Queen with the existing streetcar servicing what it service today between this few stations using current or better headway.

Fantasy map nonsense.
When Toronto approved the extension in 2009 it was contingent on 2 things: The DRL going first and a full rail yard needs study. The former is slowly moving forward for real now and the latter was concluded years ago; there will be storage at the north end of the extension So, Wilson Yard connection is empirically not needed.

Like a lot of people in the north half of the city, I'd like to see Sheppard connected through to Downsview one day but it's not remotely "needed" before the DRL and it's not going to happen for a long time.

As for Scarborough subway, now I'm just wondering if you're being ironic. "Since it's within Toronto," isn't remotely relevant to the discussion. What is - and what every one of your prerequisites ignores - is how the network actually functions. I already explained the rail yard and Sheppard and if you don't understand why DRL has to go ahead of Yonge, and arguably ahead of Scarborough, I just don't know. As to the fact the Yonge line would go a whole 4 km or so into York Region and generate TRIPLE - again, that's TRIPLE - the ridership now expected for Scarborough, well that answers that too.

As for the question above about how much it would cost go to Steeles and how long it will take, you might as well ask if Columbus couldn't have saved money by traveling halfway across the Atlantic and back. It doesn't matter. That ship has sailed.

Notice how the announcement last week was in Richmond Hill and not, say, Finch Station? There is - despite the hopes and theories of some people here - a zero per cent chance the line will be built only to Steeles.

Last edited:
The provincial government knows how critical this situation is and knows that the GTHA is in danger of choking itself.

The $150 million to make the Relief Line 'shovel ready', and the $55 to advance the subway to Richmond Hill are steps on a road to both subways being built sooner (less than ten years) rather than later.

Again, it is also getting them ready for federal funding sooner than later.

With the Steeles station in place, the time frame to build the line north becomes shorter when it happens. TTC Can build high speed crossovers at Steeles to speed up service some what.

Since the yard is to be at 16th Ave, a 16th station should be built, but is this the right place to stop the line, let alone RHC??

Agreed on a terminus at Steeles (just not yet). An unbiased look at YNSE's numbers that takes into consideration the realities of overestimation, past "Centre" development proposals, historical evidence, and that a UGC like Langstaff/RHC has many of the hallmarks of a futile Centre in-the-making (particularly the LG component) - it's not hard to concur Steeles to be the optimal terminus point for a deep bore heavy rail extension for the mid term. IMO we kinda got burned with TYSSE going north of Steeles, and I think fact-based planning should be used more than hoped-for planning. Oddly enough I actually think it's in Vaughan/YR's best interest that TYSSE's inauguration is two years late. Had news cameras been rolling as trains pulled into those stations last year, with panorama sweeps of the pedestrian-less surrounding surface and stats showing the dearth of transit usage in YR, I think journalists and the public alike would be more inclined to question the govt's decision just as much as many continue to question the decision behind a project like Sheppard.

As for the point about YNSE's new yard near 16th Ave, I'd be interested to know how many are even aware of this change in plans. Last TTC estimate I saw pegged the project at $4.6bn (2016), yet recent YR/Mlinx quotes undercut this estimate considerably. Re: the possibility of a station at 16th...frankly I wouldn't doubt it will be added. Nor would I doubt another addendum that has the project terminating even further north. At least on paper.

Ugh. People are STILL debating this as if they're going to kill it and build a 50km DRL or implement RER next year or stop it at Steeles or otherwise soliciting opinions about what they should do now.

It's going to Highway 7. Period. Move on.
The province would never fund it only to Steeles because it makes no sense given the planning regime and Regional Transit Plan they've approved, and the Official Plans they've approved that conform to those. Move on.
Toronto has already endorsed the project subject to the (now being planned DRL). Move on.
Toronto has updated its secondary plan from Finch to Steeles to account for the increased density that comes with a subway. Move on.
We've all got personal Master Plans and Fantasy Maps. The province and city and region have actual maps. It's on those. Move on.
As far as operating costs, it's likely to be the most successful new transit project in the Big Move and there's reason to hope/expect some sort of regional funding to have something more fair by the time it opens, at least 10 years from now. So, move on.

Soon we're going to be reduced to debating whether ships can actually navigate the Northwestern Passage or whether they'll fall off the earth if we can't figure out the difference between history and the present.

You've been writing more or less the same rhetoric for many years. You could be writing it for the next decade. Then it could be another decade before you're ever riding this train. I'm sure people were told to "move on" in 2007 for doubting YNSE will be built as promised, and in operation when promised. And many were proven right that YNSE was a botched promise ("botched" since it won't be in operation for quite some time, and was undeliverable from day one).

You've also put considerable effort into insulting people and their "fantasy maps", trying to ensure that the Big Move 1.0 is carved in stone and will be built as envisioned. But interestingly many of these amateur cartographer's personal proposals have been considered in some way over the years, while at the same time much of the Big Move has in fact changed. What I've yet to see though is any UTer propose running a subway north of Hwy 7 - considering the costs of such a concept. Yet YR presents this as its own fantasy map, and a recent YNSE addendum to bring non-revenue track almost 2km north of 7 seemingly stacked the deck to ensure that this fantasy comes closer to reality.

You argue those who think Steeles is an optimal/realistic terminus must move on from such fantastical beliefs. But again it could be 20yrs before anyone is riding a subway on Yonge north of Steeles. We have a century of unbuilt transit plans collecting dust, and there's no logical reason that a $0.7bn/km deep bore subway extension to fields at Langstaff or a Montana's at Hwy 7 can't sit on a shelf alongside them.

As for Scarborough subway, now I'm just wondering if you're being ironic. "Since it's within Toronto," isn't remotely relevant to the discussion. What is - and what every one of your prerequisites ignores - is how the network actually functions. I already explained the rail yard and Sheppard and if you don't understand why DRL has to go ahead of Yonge, and arguably ahead of Scarborough, I just don't know. As to the fact the Yonge line would go a whole 4 km or so into York Region and generate TRIPLE - again, that's TRIPLE - the ridership now expected for Scarborough, well that answers that too.

YNSE will have triple the ridership of SSE? Are we sure that's a "fact" and not, say, a fantasy? When was the last ridership study of YNSE? Honest Q. IMO the facts are that YNSE has been delayed considerably resulting in a severe lack of development at Langstaff/RHC (which has thrown a wrench in the 2031 ridership estimates); that previous ridership studies omitted comparative analyses of a parallel GO RH service; that previous studies said TTC/GO fare integration was to oddly not exist in 2031; that 2008 modeling put YNSE ridership below that of Sheppard; that Barrie RER, Stouffville RER, and SmartTrack all didn't exist at the time of the last ridership study; that present YRT/Viva ridership was supposed to be a lot higher than today; that the (still mostly unplanned/unfunded) 407 Transitway would be in place and with questionably high ridership...etc.

Sorry, but I definitely cast doubt that the projections you're quoting as "fact" are accurate and worthy of a 1:1 comparison with SSE. Unless there's been recent reports I'm missing, I think the 'facts' about YNSE right now are somewhat flawed and dated. It'd be better to use recent modeling data that includes things like TTC/GO fare integration, distance-based subway fares, the 2014 RER grand plan, and more down-to-earth development projections/ranges that are more in line with the present reality. We've been greeted with numerous studies and virtually every computation to show shifts in SSE's ridership, but seemingly very little when it comes to YNSE.

You've also put considerable effort into insulting people and their "fantasy maps", trying to ensure that the Big Move 1.0 is carved in stone and will be built as envisioned. But interestingly many of these amateur cartographer's personal proposals have been considered in some way over the years, while at the same time much of the Big Move has in fact changed.

I'm not dismissing your whole post (since you made some decent points), but may I ask, how is your most recent fantasy map "been considered in some way", how is it financially or operationally feasible, and what serious problems does it solve other than "it would be interesting to have a branch system"?

Screen shot 2016-06-06 at 8.05.45 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-06-06 at 8.05.45 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2016-06-06 at 8.05.45 PM.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 403

Back