Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Its slow. When a train ends at Unionville you have to take a bus through Marhkam, and it its very very slow. If the trains ended at Mount Joy instead it would probably take 10-15 minutes off of travel time to Stouffville. I knew the study only went to Unionville but the plan was always to double track it to unionville as trains could get to Mount Joy and back before the next train comes with hourly service.

I think this is just a confusion, The PDF they had showed all day service running to Mount Joy, its just that the upgrades needed for all day service are only Unionville and south.

Are there any grade separations needed? are they planning parking garages, or just bigger parking lots?

again, feel free to post a response in the GO thread, this isn't the right place.

Last edited:
Latest buy-election tweet from our Premier

Kathleen Wynne ‏@Kathleen_Wynne 40m
We have a plan to bring transit to #Thornhill and create jobs for today & tomorrow. @VoteYeungRacco will get it done pic.twitter.com/O3mFmD3Ixj

What is the point of plans and studies and committees and panels if every time they need votes they make up a new plan (apologies if I am misinterpreting this but it sure looks like a Yonge subway is being dangled).

How is it a buy election? they are talking about the yonge line obviously, which is in the transit taxes in the spring budget.. and has been in the transit taxes for years. They are simply advertising a piece of policy that has been incoming for years.. they aren't changing any plans here, they are just advertising a plan they have come up with from consultation from planners for a while now. the best part of the transit taxes is that if they are forced to run an election on it is that they will be able to "dangle" a piece of infrastructure for essentially every riding in the GTA, and this is them doing exactly this. the yonge line has been in the plans for years now.

Last edited:
How is it a buy election? they are talking about the yonge line obviously, which is in the transit taxes in the spring budget.. and has been in the transit taxes for years. They are simply advertising a piece of policy that has been incoming for years.. they aren't changing any plans here, they are just advertising a plan they have come up with from consultation from planners for a while now. the best part of the transit taxes is that if they are forced to run an election on it is that they will be able to "dangle" a piece of infrastructure for essentially every riding in the GTA, and this is them doing exactly this. the yonge line has been in the plans for years now.

Well since the DRL is the priority, when does that get dangled? Plus I cannot believe that voters fall for these things, over looking the billions that the Liberals have wasted and they must know if are the type that are up on these issues that the DRL will need to come first

Last edited:
because this project is close to the riding? They are both in the transit taxes, but its obvious that people in thornhill probably care less about the DRL than the yonge extension.

because this project is close to the riding? They are both in the transit taxes, but its obvious that people in thornhill probably care less about the DRL than the yonge extension.

Of course they care less of the DRL, but they should have the common sense that the DRL will come first

and it will come first, as per metrolinx's plan. Its just that they all will be funded this spring (hopefully), and I fail to see how this is "vote buying". Scarborough could have been considered "vote buying", but considering they contributed no new money...

Nothing will be instantly funded if the spring budged passes. It will take at least a couple of years for sufficient tax revenue to be generated, and that will also depend on whether the investment strategy will actually deliver the promised quota of 2 billion dollar per year, and not a half-ass compromise. Also, that 2 billion/year figure is in 2008 dollars, and even back then the price seemed to be low-balled, and in any event it did not include inflation. Of course we all know that cost estimates don’t stay fixed for long (i.e Transit City), and Metrolinx intends to build these projects years in the future with unknown inflationary effects.

Well since the DRL is the priority, when does that get dangled? Plus I cannot believe that voters fall for these things, over looking the billions that the Liberals have wasted and they must know if are the type that are up on these issues that the DRL will need to come first

I'm honestly beginning to realize that voters have no sense at all what a billion dollars is. Its just a number to them that they don't use in everyday life.

Of course they care less of the DRL, but they should have the common sense that the DRL will come first

That's a particularly ironic quote given that TORONTO didn't care about the DRL until this project was on the radar. Outside these forums, I literally never heard about it until York Region/Metrolinx's plan reminded Toronto how inadequate it's own network was.

The Yonge extension doesn't just run near the riding; it runs right up the middle and IMHO it's running 1-2 in terms of priority with the DRL. I would not deny for a moment that the DRL is needed but I don't think I need to tell anyone here how Toronto has mismanaged its transit, especially the past 4 years. Now it's at the point where their incompetence is undermining regional transit and regional planning.

At the risk of reiterating old news: York Region already finished the EA on Yonge. Toronto is just starting the process to start the EA. It will take them another couple of years to get where York Region has been since like 2010. We should be rewarding suburbs that are trying to intensify, not punishing them because Toronto spends 4 years reversing itself on approved transit decisions, including prioritizing Scarborough (and now the mayor is going on still about Finch and Sheppard. It's interesting to note that, for all his love of suburban subways, the Yonge plan isn't even on his radar. I guess it's not enough in his suburb?) If I were really being mean about it, I'd say if Toronto doesn't care about the regional network priorities, I don't see why the other regions need to care about Toronto's. It's pretty rich for them to build their own suburban subway (i.e. Scarborough) and then complain Yonge will break the system.

But I'm not that mean :) Instead I'll say that because it is ready to go, Yonge should be built first, with the DRL close behind. There won't be an initial surge of new population that will overwhelm the system on day one; you'll just have the current riders getting on closer to their homes to the north, and be taking hundreds of buses an hour off the road. You'll also facilitate crucial intensification projects; both significant things that benefit many. If the DRL opens 2-3 years behind everything should be just groovy. If it was a matter of building Yonge with DRL not even on the map, that would be a different matter, IMHO.

Last edited:
Nothing will be instantly funded if the spring budged passes. It will take at least a couple of years for sufficient tax revenue to be generated, and that will also depend on whether the investment strategy will actually deliver the promised quota of 2 billion dollar per year, and not a half-ass compromise. Also, that 2 billion/year figure is in 2008 dollars, and even back then the price seemed to be low-balled, and in any event it did not include inflation. Of course we all know that cost estimates don’t stay fixed for long (i.e Transit City), and Metrolinx intends to build these projects years in the future with unknown inflationary effects.

Well, the Golden Panel recommended bridging it by borrowing the funds in the early years and repaying from the $2B a year....so if the government listens to the Golden Panel then things will be kinda instantly funded.....of course, if they listen to the Golden Panel, the Yonge extension does not appear on their recommended projects at all.

It really is hard with the current government, in the current climate, to know what we are talking about building/how/when.

So when I referred to this as a "buy-election" it was with that in mind. On the one hand the Liberals are talking about the Golden Panel as having the answers but, on the other hand, they are talking about projects the Golden Panel has "set aside".

At the risk of reiterating old news: York Region already finished the EA on Yonge. Toronto is just starting the process to start the EA. It will take them another couple of years to get where York Region has been since like 2010. We should be rewarding suburbs that are trying to intensify, not punishing them because Toronto spends 4 years reversing itself on approved transit decisions ...

We should be rewarding them within reason, but not to the point of breaking the TTC's backbone subway network.

If I were really being mean about it, I'd say if Toronto doesn't care about the regional network priorities, I don't see why the other regions need to care about Toronto's.

Other regions do not have to care about Toronto. However, if York Region wants a subway extension that is not technically possible without adding capacity within Toronto, then it is in York's own interests to push for DRL in Toronto.

It's pretty rich for them to build their own suburban subway (i.e. Scarborough) and then complain Yonge will break the system.

The Scarborough subway will have less impact on the Yonge's capacity than the Yonge extension will.

But I'm not that mean :) Instead I'll say that because it is ready to go, Yonge should be built first, with the DRL close behind. There won't be an initial surge of new population that will overwhelm the system on day one; you'll just have the current riders getting on closer to their homes to the north, and be taking hundreds of buses an hour off the road. You'll also facilitate crucial intensification projects; both significant things that benefit many. If the DRL opens 2-3 years behind everything should be just groovy. If it was a matter of building Yonge with DRL not even on the map, that would be a different matter, IMHO.

The risk with this approach is that Yonge North might get funded and its construction starts, while the DRL funding falters and gets pushed into a remote future.

If both projects are funded in a package, then, indeed, there is no harm of Yonge North actually opening 2 or 3 years earlier than DRL, due to the longer EA and design time needed for DRL.

But the actual work on Yonge North must not start until DRL (at the very least, its Downtown to Danforth section) is fully funded. TTC must refuse to sign any agreement on Yonge North until the DRL funding arrives. And if the provincial government decides to take over TTC at this point, and fails to build DRL, then the resulting mess will be theirs to sort out.

Well, the Golden Panel recommended bridging it by borrowing the funds in the early years and repaying from the $2B a year....so if the government listens to the Golden Panel then things will be kinda instantly funded.....of course, if they listen to the Golden Panel, the Yonge extension does not appear on their recommended projects at all.

It really is hard with the current government, in the current climate, to know what we are talking about building/how/when.

So when I referred to this as a "buy-election" it was with that in mind. On the one hand the Liberals are talking about the Golden Panel as having the answers but, on the other hand, they are talking about projects the Golden Panel has "set aside".

Golden panel is exactly that, a panel making recommendations. While the Liberals have been a bit vague on their final plans, they are probably still formulating them. They won't be the Panels recommendations exactly and they won't be Metrolinx's recommendations exactly either. We will see what they are going to go with in a few months once they present the budget.

Back