Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I will be pleasantly surprised if VMC is in the top 50% of subway stations in 2018 (3 years to build ridership). There is absolutely no way it will be in the 100,000 passengers per day range like Finch is today.
Nor would or should we expect it to be. The ridership southbound at Sheppard West is forecast to be lower than that. Other than interchange stations Bloor-Yonge and St. George, no station has that kind of ridership other than Union (which is surely an interchange station as well). Downsview station only has 39,000 passengers per day. Do you consider that a failure, and we should close it?

Nor would or should we expect it to be. The ridership southbound at Sheppard West is forecast to be lower than that. Other than interchange stations Bloor-Yonge and St. George, no station has that kind of ridership other than Union (which is surely an interchange station as well). Downsview station only has 39,000 passengers per day. Do you consider that a failure, and we should close it?

I don't consider Downsview to be "a very busy station".

And yeah, if given the opportunity to go back in time and be put in a position of power, I would build that section of Spadina from Eglinton north quite differently.

I don't consider Downsview to be "a very busy station".

And yeah, if given the opportunity to go back in time and be put in a position of power, I would build that section of Spadina from Eglinton north quite differently.
Downsview certainly seems to be busy enough, whenever I'm there. It might be busier if it didn't take 15 minutes many days for the train to get from Wilson to Downsview.

Yes, I'd do it differently too. Probably tunnelled under Dufferin instead. But as the current Downsview station is at the corner of Dufferin and Sheppard West, it would be pretty much the same then as it is now!

The station at VMC will most likely be a very busy station as it will have a lot of Vaughan residents using it (its right along their main street Highway 7). But also, it will have a large amount of Brampton residents using the line because of the Zum service that runs along Highway 7 as well. The cost to get to downtown will be much cheaper when using this route for Brampton residents ie. instead of paying Brampton bus fare plus go fair, Brampton residents will pay the Brampton bus fare and the TTC fare, which is a possible savings of $6-10 for a two way trip.

However most of the transfers are planned to be at 407 and Steeles W station not VMC. VMC is planned to have a VIVA station and a small bus terminal for local YRT routes, I believe to serve a handful of routes. There are no plans to make VMC some sort of regional transfer station.

Yes, I'd do it differently too. Probably tunnelled under Dufferin instead. But as the current Downsview station is at the corner of Dufferin and Sheppard West, it would be pretty much the same then as it is now!

Would that really do much? Besides Downsview and Eglinton West, the Allen Rd. section of the subway isn't much lower ridership than the comparable Yonge stretch, and both of those stations have more to do with feeder routes.

Lawrence and Lawrence West are comperable. Wilson is lighter than York Mills, but Yorkdale makes up for that a bit. Glencairn is miniscule, but a Yonge-Glencairn station would have been just as light.

The big ridership differences at Downsview and Eglinton West wouldn't change if the the subway went under Dufferin.

Would that really do much? Besides Downsview and Eglinton West, the Allen Rd. section of the subway isn't much lower ridership than the comparable Yonge stretch, and both of those stations have more to do with feeder routes.
Well, I'd also fill in that trench with Allen Road in ...

So would I and I use the Allen every day... my wife does for work as well... I think I was the only person to suggest full removal at the ALLEN ROAD study. I almost got stoned.

For Bramptonians (or is it Bramptonites?) that will be a poor substitute for GO REX along the Georgetown corridor, but certainly better than the local transit options that they have now. If marketed and serviced properly, Züm could see a pretty big spike in ridership when the Vaughan extension opens. Full service through Brampton, express to VCC as soon as it hits the YR border.
Unless of course, like the argument with the Yonge extension and GO RHill, those Bramptonians are trying to travel in Toronto anywhere above the Bloor subway line on the Spadina line that a Kitchener REX wouldn't serve. :p

Unless of course, like the argument with the Yonge extension and GO RHill, those Bramptonians are trying to travel in Toronto anywhere above the Bloor subway line on the Spadina line that a Kitchener REX wouldn't serve. :p

It's more that the RHill GO can't serve much outside of downtown. With the Kitchener corridor its easy to imagine stops at Lawrence, Eglinton, St. Clair, the Junction, Bloor, Queen/King West and such which would make the line useful for more than just shuttling people to Union. RHill GO dips into the valley for most of its route!

What difference would that make for subway usage?

What difference would that make for subway usage?

if they filled in the Allen they could potentially add condos and townhouses similar to whats happening at the Lawrence heights redevelopment. The problem with the stations on the spadina line are that there isn't much residence in close proximity to the stations. Eglinton West sees walk in TTC riders from the apartments and condos between Eglinton West and Glencarin. However if the allen was filled in there would be opportunity to build much more units much closer to the actual stations.

if they filled in the Allen they could potentially add condos and townhouses similar to whats happening at the Lawrence heights redevelopment. The problem with the stations on the spadina line are that there isn't much residence in close proximity to the stations. Eglinton West sees walk in TTC riders from the apartments and condos between Eglinton West and Glencarin. However if the allen was filled in there would be opportunity to build much more units much closer to the actual stations.

While I wouldn't want to defend the Allen's aesthetic impacts, I think it's important not to overemphasize its role in that area's (mis)development.

In the area which could be decked over next to stations like Lawrence West or Glencairn, you could maybe fit a couple of condos per station. At most that would add a few hundred riders per station.

On Glencairn, where there are no ramps to the Allen, the station doors are only a few meters away from typical urban fabric. The issue isn't so much the highway as the fact that the area hasn't been zoned for higher density, mixed use development. Presumably land economics would at least justify townhomes since its right next to a quick subway ride downtown, yet the area has only seen rampant McMansionization.

Hopefully the Lawrence Heights redevelopment will change things.

(to be clear, I don't deny that the Allen is ugly and pretty pointless.)

From a city-building perspective, a subway under Dufferin or Bathurst could have had the effect over decades of making those streets look and function like Yonge Street, which is consistently lined with higher-density mixed-use buildings. Most parts of Yonge with the subway see good pedestrian activity and some cyclists, are lined with multi-storey buildings with retail by the sidewalk and have streetscape improvements. Yonge is quite satisfactory as an urban street from downtown all the way to Finch. Bathurst and Dufferin are not, but could have been transformed over time to be more like Yonge had the subway gone under those streets instead of being isolated in the middle of an expressway.

When: Wednesday, May 1, drop-in between 4 and 8pm
Where: 50 High Tech Road [York Region building], Training Room A/B, Richmond Hill
Topic:
proposed underground subway train storage facility for Yonge Subway extension

Drop in to:

• Find out about proposed amendments to a train storage facility in the Yonge Street and Bantry Avenue area in Richmond Hill
  • See visuals and information
  • Talk to us about the project and provide feedback

If you are unable to attend, you can view all of the open house materials and fill out a feedback form on our website after the meeting. For more information visit vivanext.com.

For those who think the Yonge extension is a York Region pet project, this is obviously a necessary part of a much larger transportation plan. The most controversial part for sure but a key element.

vivaNext_RouteMap_11_26_2012.png

I don't think it's "controversial." The only reason it generates any "controversy" is because this rather crucial link for York Region is part of Toronto's system and, understandably, Toronto has its own priorities. Looking at the regional system, it's stunningly obvious.

In the meantime, good to see they're moving forward with the train storage plans. Clearly YR is moving to have everything in place for the day funding is finally announced; rather different than how Toronto has handled transit planning the past 10 years or so, which makes it all the more baffling when people get hysterical about how pro-active they've been.

Back