Toronto XO Condos | 53.64m | 14s | Lifetime | Core Architects

The caulk joints between the precast brick panels are horrendous!
These joints are three to five times the width of the mortar joints and to add insult to injury they are lighter in colour than the precast mortar making it look even worse, I was stuck in bad CNE traffic on King Street over the weekend and seeing in person was even more shocking.
Who ever allowed this to happen? It really stands out, looking like the building is cracking and falling apart — it looks soooooo bad!!!

The caulk joints between the precast brick panels are horrendous!
These joints are three to five times the width of the mortar joints and to add insult to injury they are lighter in colour than the precast mortar making it look even worse, I was stuck in bad CNE traffic on King Street over the weekend and seeing in person was even more shocking.
Who ever allowed this to happen? It really stands out, looking like the building is cracking and falling apart — it looks soooooo bad!!!

Couldn't agree with you more. It's an eye sore.
@Parkdalian had it right by calling those caulk joints between the pre-cast panels Frankenstein stitches. This thing is a monster!

Looks like crap. Those joints are god awful. How does a bulder put that out? I abhor these brick panels. Just use precast or spandrel or something. It's rare that there is ever much attention to detail. Always looks so sloppy.

DSC04804.JPG

I made an account just to post here - so apologies that I'm late to the party. This building is a sad failure to all parties involved.

To the city planners - How do you let the 10+ stories of the building go right to the sidewalk? Where is the setback? If the urban edge is to be expressed, at least terrace the facade. At noon in the summer, the pedestrian walkway and street gets zero light. The 60s-era appt buildings sprinkled around Parkdale address density a lot better. King and Dufferin deserve better.

To the contract administrators/design team - Where is the quality control? What was in the specifications? Other forum posters have already addressed the wrist-sized expansion joints - but if you're going to design miter joint precast corners you have to ensure the structure is plumb and hold the builder accountable.

To the developers/builders - The build quality is poor, at least on the facade. Who was managing the site? either the precast was installed damaged or was damaged during the build. The building hasn't been occupied yet and it looks worse off than buildings built half a century ago.

---

To the future tenants - you should seek a rebate. What you received is not what you paid for.

To the Parkdale residents - the city failed us. King - Dufferin could have become a prominent/vibrant urban node but this building locks the rest of the intersection into another drab condo fortress.

Last edited:
I made an account just to post here - so apologies that I'm late to the party. This building is a sad failure to all parties involved.

To the city planners - How do you let the 20+ stories of the building go right to the sidewalk? Where is the setback? If the urban edge is to be expressed, at least terrace the facade. At noon in the summer, the pedestrian walkway and street gets zero light. The 60s-era appt buildings sprinkled around Parkdale address density a lot better. King and Dufferin deserve better.

To the contract administrators/design team - Where is the quality control? What was in the specifications? Other forum posters have already addressed the wrist-sized expansion joints - but if you're going to design miter joint precast corners you have to ensure the structure is plumb and hold the builder accountable.

To the developers/builders - The build quality is poor, at least on the facade. Who was managing the site? either the precast was installed damaged or was damaged during the build. The building hasn't been occupied yet and it looks worse off than buildings built half a century ago.

---

To the future tenants - you should seek a rebate. What you received is not what you paid for.

To the Parkdale residents - the city failed us. King - Dufferin could have become a prominent/vibrant urban node but this building locks the rest of the intersection into another drab condo fortress.
Not saying you're right or wrong. This building is 14 stories tall. not 20+

Not sure who would benefit from this update but wanted to say. I moved in with my partner a week ago as owners. This building doesn't have wifi wiring ready yet and maybe for maybe a month or so, which makes it harder to work from home or enjoy using the internet. When asked for some sort of compensation we were rejected. Also the garbage chutes are not functioning either, the windows are very dusty/foggy with no way to clean them but to wait many many months till the whole thing is done building. some apartments from our floor are far from ready.

This pic of the building is currently on the front page of r/toronto

View attachment 507621

That not properly affixed cladding certainly looks awful, but I would also be concerned about future safety and structural issues. I assume, I hope, the column is properly aligned underneath, but if it is and the cladding is not, then there's very likely an opening where precipitation could get between the cladding and the column. Should that be the case, in late autumn/early spring, the precipitation could theoretically freeze solid, and I would be quite concerned about whether that cladding remains attached to the building.

That should not be permitted to remain as is; period.

Last edited:
There's some pretty alarming stuff being raised in that Reddit thread, including allegations of moldy drywall that's just been painted over. This entire project is abhorrent, Lifetime should be ashamed. Problem is, it seems the industry is just stretched so thin right now there's not enough oversight or accountability.

Back