Toronto X2 Condominiums | 160.93m | 49s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

That would have been the obvious way to do it, but I like this design because the dynamism of the blue sculpture contrasts with the grid-like uniformity of the tower behind it. It breaks with the modernist character of the towers.

I like the idea of more Shayne Dark along Charles; an outdoor gallery extended over several blocks would give viewers more to contemplate.

In regards to these two; the blue one is called 'Double Take', and its composition makes it look to me that its reacting in surprise to its cousin across the street. When there are two pieces, close to each other, it makes perfect sense to me that they should have a dialogue. The two reinforce, of course, both the sameness of the two Xs, and the fact of their difference nevertheless. I'm looking forward to seeing this installed.

I wish every street had an art theme like here. Perhaps the entire length of Jarvis could feature a Shayne Dark at every intersection, with included lighting &/or other functions, such as garbage, information sleeves etc.

That's a great idea. It recalls the City Beautiful movement of installing monumental sculptures and gates along important streets.

My first reaction is that the blue sculpture is preparing for battle with the red sculpture, who stands confident at his post. Even though the artist likely hasn't intended this work to be aggressive, I do get the impression that the blue one at least wants to talk to the red one...who may be playing hard-to-get. There is definitely dialogue going on here anyway you look at it. I prefer this arrangement far better than if they were both erect. That would be expected.

This gives you an idea of the retail units. It seems there are 6 retail units (totalling over 7,000sq. ft. of retail), none of which have been leased out yet. http://firstgulf.com/pdf-property/X2_2013.pdf

Interesting. I thought the entire retail space at X2 would be one big unit for a grocery store of some type. I didn't know it would be divided into 6 separate units.

Interesting. I thought the entire retail space at X2 would be one big unit for a grocery store of some type. I didn't know it would be divided into 6 separate units.

It could all go as one space. Or it could be two, or three… etc. etc. It depends on who wants what. Get a good retailer, and they'll combine whichever spaces they want.

Taken today,
I really wish this one was built further away from the X/Couture cluster. It'll hardly make an impact even with it's height :(

It'll have a wonderful impact from many directions, especially turning onto Jarvis from Bloor or Mt. Pleasant - just not from 45 Carlton.

Back