Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Looking closely at that render above, I am now regaining hope that they may still add a facade that will partly mitigate the effect of the mechanical penthouse. Zooming in on photos I see they have some finishing to do on the outermost top edge of the facade and this may be the bare concrete needed to secure a fin-like extension of the facade. However, if it is indeed proportioned as it is in the render above, then it won't quite hide the new higher mechanical box that was amended from the original plans. It will still go a long way to hide it from a larger radius away from the building.

You just might be right :) I never noticed that bit of concrete that was showing at the top. Clearly they're not going to leave it like that.

So here is my revised Photoshop with a glass facade at the height of the render plus the mechanical penthouse at the proper height as well. This may more closely resemble the finished product. Please note the trouble I went to, to finish all the balcony glass as well! LOL

4323106202_324477b83f_o.jpg

(Original courtesy dt_toronto_geek with my questionable Photoshop skills)

So here is my revised Photoshop with a glass facade at the height of the render plus the mechanical penthouse at the proper height as well. This may more closely resemble the finished product. Please note the trouble I went to, to finish all the balcony glass as well! LOL

Nice work Traynor, I hope your right about the extension. That would be an enormous improvement in helping to minimize the impact of the mechanical room.

Nice work Traynor, I hope your right about the extension. That would be an enormous improvement in helping to minimize the impact of the mechanical room.

I think this is wishful thinking. If they were going to cover up the m-box, why take the time to finish it so nicely? Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, would look great if covered I just don't think it's going to happen.

I guess now is the time to demolish those few mid-rise slabs of "pure ugly". I wonder where the former residents of demolished residential buildings go? hopefully they could negotiate that when the time comes or else we're stuck with those hideous buildings. :p

Regretfully, this fanciful facade would also compromise the securing and positioning of roof anchors required for window washing and swing stage access.

I don't think so... Does it do that for the Bay Adelaide Centre? I realize BA is a commercial property, but I believe there are ways around anything (they seem to manage quite well at Spire, also designed by Clewes.). Fanciful though it may seem to you, the architect had something in mind above the penthouse floor. Look closely at the render posted by linxr above.

Last edited:
Hello folks, I hope you are all right with the extension but I doubt it. The original mock up of the building was based on the top floor having 1 huge penthouse suite. That would have been the top level we all see in the original building mock up. One of the Great Gulf owners was supposed to live there. It had an internal courtyard in the middle (where the mech room is now) and a private swimming pool. Since then they changed the plans and nixed the one large penthouse on top of the building. My guess is that the owner knew they were going to buy 1 Bloor and decided to live there instead.
So, unfortunately, I think the mech room is going to stay as is. Though, as someone who will be living a couple of floors below where the private swimming pool would have been, I cannot say I am too upset.

^^ That is all very valid information regarding the penthouse floor. I am still hoping love of design and aesthetics will win out at the end of the day.

As far as swimming pools above other people's apartments, why does that always scare people?

Last edited:
Why do you dislike them so much? Have you ever walked by them or been in them? They are quite well maintained, have good sized units inside, nice green space and landscaping surround the buildings and I think they add charm to this area of Jarvis Street.

The one bedroom corner suites at 100 Gloucester are ginormous! You can't get space like that in condos these days. They have actual dining rooms surrounded by glass! I knew one tenant that walled off the entrance to the dining room from the kitchen and put a door from the living room and made it a second bedroom.

Here's some photos i took today of X:

***From Jarvis, X looks FREAKIN TALL!

Yorkville skyline Cluster (Crystal and X)

4323196971_fce804fdac_b.jpg

X Condo from afar:

4323211171_a16b3dc00c_b.jpg

4323219319_6a23462de7_b.jpg

All photos by me: steveve :)

Great pics as always steveve...

That mechanical box really ruins this building. Why didn't they just build a false roof covering?

I have a view of the building from my office King East and it looks like a strip of black cladding is being added to finish off the building. I don't think this is for supporters for fins (looks like we will be keeping the ugly m-box). Also, it looks like they are taking down the crane today.

Back