Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Great capture, how big of an area was closed off for them to do that?

Traffic was stopped to leave that section of Jarvis adjacent to the site clear. It actually took a few tries to finally knock it down (and traffic was stopped on two occasions).

The first time, the taller of the two demolition grapplers tried to go at it alone but couldn't topple the structure, so the shorter one picked away at same of the support columns on the far side to weaken them. Then following some protracted discussion by the demo crew and a lot of maneuvering around, they finally took another stab at it, rocking the structure back and forth until it collapsed (fortunately I was upwind of the site - my balcony already feels like a sandpit as it is from all the demolition in the past few weeks).

That's great, thanks for the video.

(Tho' the whole "rotating the camera 90 degrees" thing doesn't work so well for video as it does still, does it? I keep doing the same thing myself...)

Thanks for posting the video!

Are there any X owners on this forum? Hopefully construction will go as smoothly as possible. Its going to be hard to wait for 2.5 years for this project....

I watched the final collapse from the Gerstein Centre (the house next door)about 6:30 pm on Saturday.

Watch for the uncovering of the police shooting range, between the house and the rubble.

The demolition company has the contract for the excavation too.

recent pics?

Any one in the immediate area of the X able to snap a few pics to see what has transpired in the last couple of weeks?

Photos by Sir Novelty Fashion

Taken from his original thread to be found here:
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=5935

I puttered over to Church and Jarvis, where someone appears to have picniced through the recent demolitions. Still some scraps on-site.

It will be a shame to re-lose this perspective of the church.

A Toronto Hydro crew is at the site today (July 19), assessing damage to underground cables from the demolition. "Happens all the time," one worker told me. "It's a big job."

Postscript. The crew left a few hours later. I haven't seen them since.

The Construction company has also posted their signs on site this week. Someone recently requested a picture of the site (not much to see) so I'll try and get a capture today or tomorrow, weather permitting.

There's not much happening. They dug out a basement (old shooting range?) on the north side of the Gerstein Centre and patched the common wall. One person today was mucking about the foundation with a shovel. Looks like the wall is being waterproofed, prior to being reburied.

I'm surprised that they are not yet drilling holes for the concrete as well as stockpiling shoring beams. (In contrast, Casa and the Bloor Street Neighbourhood down the street are going "great guns".

Tucker Hi-Rise was the general contractor for 18 Yorkville.

I'm sure I shall get buried for these views, but this is how I see it

This is a building that I have a love-hate relationship.

On the positive end, it seems that Peter Clewes got it all right, if his goal was to create a Miesian-style building with all the master's subtleties in tact: the building has great detailing, subtlely balanced yet vertically assertive in a sleek way. This does everything a well-designed Miesian building should do but ... it starts to fizzle and go flat.

Methinks this building is too respectful. There is little dialogue with the past, but more of a well-rehearsed rote. He does some interesting things with the base, but those things are so slight that they can be easily missed. This is technically neo-modernist on the highest level, since it is created after the decline of postmodernism, but in my world X Condominiums is just a modernist building that does not deserve that neo-prefix.

Afterall, it could have been created in the time of Mies van der Rohe. If it were not identified as being from the hands of Peter Clewes, no one could be blamed for thinking it came from Mies or an associate or a Mies student from that time. The only way I can suggest what I think this building needed, would be to take you to another architect who would have respected Mies but also challenged at the same time.

Helmut Jahn is the achitect whom I am thinking about in this role. He would have provided the dialogue with Mies without shouting or screaming in his design. Jahn did his tracing when he came out of Illinois Institute of Technology, and started working for C. F. Murphy and Associates. But then he started to explore more colour, pattern and levels of transparency in glass. He experimented with asymmetry, planar cuts, rounded edges, etc, that informed his own emerging style. You can still see the Miesian influence, but you can also experience the dramatic change and updating and personalizing.

If you don't like Jahn, insert someone who is a neo-Miesian, or better yet a Peter Clewes willing to challenge himself to be bolder - bold enough to create a dialogue with the master whom he obviously respects.

Both Robert Stern and Peter Clewes create well thought out buildings, and I don't think Clewes is a distraction like Stern to the long term balancing out of modern architecture with other styles in Toronto's skyscraper pipeline. But this effort, without needing to be outrageous, could have been a great deal more.

At minimum, this building provides an alternative for those who want good, well designed, modernist architecture that competes with the high-end faux-historicism of Stern. Yet the goal should have been set higher than this, and it wasn't.

A Miesian knock-off to be sure, indeed a kind of faux architecture in itself as it is an unapologetic recreation. However it is quite appealing and certainly faithful to the traditions of skyscraper design that came to Toronto in the late 60's.

I am more inclined to wait until this thing is near finished before I start passing judgments. This may look like most other condos if the cladding is very similar (and it may only differ in colour).

As well, the detailing at the base of recent aA projects have disappointed me (but this being a Great Gulf project, has me hoping for the best).

Given how little effect PoMo had on Toronto this is hardly a faux building dredging up designs from the past, but rather an homage by one of our leading contemporary condo architects to one of our leading local office buildings, both linked as expressions of the Modernist style that defines Toronto's post-WW2 architecture. Tweaking the design beyond that would have given us a different building, but not necessarily a better one given the purity of the visual statement that X makes.

Given how little effect PoMo had on Toronto this is hardly a faux building dredging up designs from the past, but rather an homage by one of our leading contemporary condo architects to one of our leading local office buildings, both linked as expressions of the Modernist style that defines Toronto's post-WW2 architecture. Tweaking the design beyond that would have given us a different building, but not necessarily a better one given the purity of the visual statement that X makes.

Couldn't other questionably "faux" buildings also be categorized as homages?

Back