Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Hey, that's luxury living. Who you think can afford them hooker and crack habits, anyway

Jarvis & Charles? Not exactly a generally accepted area for luxury living, to put it mildly.

Jarvis St is improving compared to 5 years ago; however, I wouldn't say it currently deserves $500-600 PSF.
Tridel is doing the same thing for Sherbourne St. with James Cooper Mansion.

Slick marketing does wonders !

It's going to take more than a few condos to turn a whole neighbourhood around, I think.

I don't want to seem like I'm being too critical of the area, but I think to say it somehow justifies high condo prices is a bit of a stretch. There are still no shortage of redevelopment sites around...

It's probably a little more expensive than it probably should be, but many properties are. The downsides to this immediate area are high traffic (noise) and Charles Street is a little rundown on the south side, just west of X. There's not a whole lot nearby but it's a brief walk to the subways, Greenwin Square and Y&B. Bottom line, it's not a neighbourhood that really needs to be turned around, it's just lacking a little bit of life right now.

I'm with DTG on this: DDA is overstating the negative aspects of this spot. A handful of new buildings with a thousand new residents should be enough to revitalize the blocks surrounding this intersection. At the very least X, Couture, and the SW corner projects signal that this area has caught the attention of those hoping to profit from a resurgence here.

It's going to take more than a few condos to turn a whole neighbourhood around, I think.

I don't want to seem like I'm being too critical of the area, but I think to say it somehow justifies high condo prices is a bit of a stretch. There are still no shortage of redevelopment sites around...

If the units are selling it tells you people do think the prices are fair.

It's probably a little more expensive than it probably should be, but many properties are. The downsides to this immediate area are high traffic (noise) and Charles Street is a little rundown on the south side, just west of X. .

I can attest to the noise problem. I lived at 235 Bloor East for three years and the sound bounces off the church and the Rogers building and gets amplified. The firetrucks going by every couple of hours at night are the worst, but on the 20th floor, I could clearly hear people talking on the street. I think this will be worse for Couture residents than X residents.

In terms of the prostitutes and crack heads, there are much more expensive areas in NYC that have similar attributes such as hookers. I know its new york and everything is more expensive, Im just trying to say maybe the correlation between price and those attributes are not as important as say proximity to other downtown amenities, therefore maybe prices may not actually be too high.

From what I can see, unless people already live in the neighbourhood, they don't seem to be familiar with the goings on. They buy on marketing, geographical location, look of the building, etc. If I were to move from my Yonge/Bloor neighbourhood to say, Bloor West Village, the only perception I have is that it's a family oriented, heavily Ukranian area. That's just stuff I've picked up from the news over the years. I don't know that the average person does a lot of research into the idiosyncrasies of the area they're moving into.

... especially if the goings on happen when the sales office is closed.

mckarisma, this just ain't an expensive neighbourhood. The rents are some of the cheapest in the city, and there's a huge amount of supply. Obviously these new condos are much nicer, but there is some relation between condo valuations and rental rates...

From what I can see, unless people already live in the neighbourhood, they don't seem to be familiar with the goings on. They buy on marketing, geographical location, look of the building, etc.

I wonder how many people buying into the CASA or BSN projects are aware of the periodic noise from the subway exhaust fans at Bloor/Yonge. It's quite a howl from the Charles/Hayden parking garage.

Construction progress..

2965413973_5f0b2e89ae_b.jpg

P3 nearly complete. Framing for P2 underway.

Back