Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

Another from outside looking towards the concierge desk. [taken with blackberry - quality not that great]

x-lobby.jpg

I love them - very goth. Too bad the rest of the lobby isn't more like that.

I actually like the photo of how the chandelier is supposed to look, but not in reality and certainly not for this lobby. Your comment above is indicative of what is wrong with the design in this setting... The lobby is nothing like it. The chandelier is supposed to be an accessory for the lobby and not the other way around.

What I am saying is... The lobby is what it is (in this case, International Modernism) and then you are introducing a design element that is not cohesive with that design sensibility. I am not saying that ALL juxtapositioning of design styles are no good... Just this particular pairing, in my opinion.

I actually like the photo of how the chandelier is supposed to look, but not in reality and certainly not for this lobby. Your comment above is indicative of what is wrong with the design in this setting... The lobby is nothing like it. The chandelier is supposed to be an accessory for the lobby and not the other way around.

What I am saying is... The lobby is what it is (in this case, International Modernism) and then you are introducing a design element that is not cohesive with that design sensibility. I am not saying that ALL juxtapositioning of design styles are no good... Just this particular pairing, in my opinion.

I agree 100% with Traynor: the lighting fixtures do not work with the 'International Modern' style of the lobby. I'm hoping that the condo board (when formed) can do something about replacing these fixtures with something similar in line with the mock ups found in the website and advertising for X. Moreover, as much as I do like the touches of colour that the artwork provides, I agree with Neuhaus that the paintings are the wrong proportions for the amount of wall space. I have always been impressed with Cecconi Simone's work; yet I do believe that they dropped the ball on this one -- That and figuring out how to hide that top hat eyesore at the top of our building!! (sorry couldn't resist - but I do wonder if there is any way of doing something about this that wouldn't cost an arm-and-a-leg.) To some we may be too critical but when you absolutely love your new building -- but find there to be some negatives, why not do everything you can to help it to reach its full potential. I was thinking about emailing Great Gulf(and Cecconi Simone for that matter) about the light fixtures and the size of the artwork. I am wondering if there is any use in that and just waiting until the board is assembled. I doubt that Great Gulf would spend any money as a result of a few complaints.What do you think?

Attachments

• lightingfixture1.jpg
    lightingfixture1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 268
  • lightingfixture2.jpg
    lightingfixture2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 263
Not into the art or the chandeliers. Or the cheap-o sofas. Or the upholstered metallic-pewter ottomans/coffee tables. The more they put into the space, the less I like it.

I think this is a case in which the original designers were not in on the selection of the light fixtures and the artwork. There is little chance that the same people who put together such a sophisticated vision for a building would make these lighting and painting choices. My guess is that they have moved on to other projects and someone with far less experience and taste found they had to finish off the job. Viewing the original brochure drawings, the artwork and the lights were of a far better scale. I think both Cecconi Simone and Great Gulf should get a few letters about this-- likely to the hightest up people who may not be aware of what has happened. What addresses are you sending them to? I'll write one as well. Anyone else out there who is concerned may also want to do the same.

I think this is a case in which the original designers were not in on the selection of the light fixtures and the artwork. There is little chance that the same people who put together such a sophisticated vision for a building would make these lighting and painting choices. My guess is that they have moved on to other projects and someone with far less experience and taste found they had to finish off the job. Viewing the original brochure drawings, the artwork and the lights were of a far better scale. I think both Cecconi Simone and Great Gulf should get a few letters about this-- likely to the hightest up people who may not be aware of what has happened. What addresses are you sending them to? I'll write one as well. Anyone else out there who is concerned may also want to do the same.

Sent an email to Cecconi Simone ( www.info@cecconisimone.com ) and to Great Gulf (www.xsales@xcondos.com ). Can't hurt...

Those chandeliers cost a small fortune (they retail for $16-18,000 U.S. each, so I am guessing around $10,000 cost), so the money could have been better used elsewhere.

Ironically, X was heavily influenced by Mies Van deRohe who's philosophy is 'Less is More'

They spent that much money on those horrendous, fail-at-Gothic, messy and cheap-looking chandeliers? Oh sweet God... why? What wastefulness. Especially on a lobby that is somewhat themed after Mies' belief in simplicity.

Not to mention that the colourful artwork and the chandeliers clash not only with each other but with the lobby design.

Does anyone know when the builder will hand over to the board? Doesn't this usually happen a short time after the building registers? If so, most of the people would not be moved in (like myself) until after. Anyone have info on this?
Are they waiting until everyone is moved in to elect and vote in?

Like Tim Burton directing an episode of Mad Men?

LOL, nailed it!

Walking by, the light fixtures work much better than inside the lobby. Through the sheers at night I like them though the art is too small to make much of an impact from the sidewalk.

Nov 17 2010 update

from last week ...

Beautiful X Condos - as long as you ignore the top
IMG_5132.jpg

Back