Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

From Casa today:

DSCN5563_2.jpg

DSCN5561_2.jpg

DSCN5562_2.jpg

A couple more for today

From above

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

^It's the best-looking post-war building east of Yonge Street! Even better looking than Casa.

I am still undecided. I love X and Casa but will make my final judgement once X is complete. I noticed they are mounting the supporters in the lobby for marble or granite walls. Can't wait to see this project finished.

If they're mounting the supporters in the lobby I'll be right over.

The second best-looking post-war building east of Yonge Street!

CASA isn't my number one because the feature supporting the hat has glass corners which throws off the horizontal look, and the pureness it was aiming for is compromised (for me) greatly by the sliding balcony doors. An office building with that shape would be a winner though. It's still one of the nicer new projects though.

X is amazing. At first I was upset about the coloured sections, and I felt they ruined the purity of the design. Yet-- we have the TD Centre for people who don't like the coloured sections. X Condo is more about that timeless black effect from a distance, but up close it has those very De Stijl colours, which are even more timeless in an of themselves-- representing the sky, the sun, etc. etc.-- and add this whole other timeless dimension.

Casa's roof treatment is far superior to the clumsy mechanical box on X which detracts from its Miesian sleekness. On the other hand, there is a far lesser chance that balcony clutter will detract from X's design, whereas without restrictive rules on what can be kept on balconies, clutter will detract from Casa's sleekness.

Overall though, Casa has no big let down comparable to X's mechanical box on the roof, though.

Evaluating the look of a residential building that's an homage to Mies in terms of 'Miesian sleekness' ought to take into account the fact that his residential towers had similar mechanical features on their roofs, surely?

As for balcony 'clutter' at Casa, doesn't the striking minimalism and transparency of the tower invite - indeed, validate - such an unabashed spirit of openness?

Evaluating the look of a residential building that's an homage to Mies in terms of 'Miesian sleekness' ought to take into account the fact that his residential towers had similar mechanical features on their roofs, surely?

Word.

This fact made me feel quite resolved and happy re: the mechanical box on X's roof.

It took me two minutes to find one example, Lake Shore Drive Apartments in Chicago.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but driving down the DVP, that ridiculous box on top ruins the entire building. It looks horrible. It looks like some sinful seventies building.

X is like a beacon of hope for architecture amongst the clutter of commie blocks and overdone po-mo. I hope the east-side units got a discount for having to stare at Rogers Castle all the time.

I wouldn't mind that view. I like the mix of '60's & '70's apartments, the Rogers Po-Mo buildings combined with a lake view and all the trees in the spring/summer/fall with Rosedale just to the north and the ravine to the north-east. The west facing side would provide great views too.

Back