Toronto Worklofts + Flatiron Lofts in the Film District | ?m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

Too high

There is no question that the Flatiron is way too high. Carlaw was zoned for 18 metres (six storeys) because it was appropriate for the neighbourhood as voted by Toronto council. When Lamb (or any developer) goes to the OMB and gets double the density, it is a subversion of the democratic process. People should have the right to believe their neighbourhood won't get turned upside down overnight because some 'condo king' self-servingly declares it to be "due to intensify".

Turned upside down? Based on what? If 5 and 6s is fine for a minor street like Colgate (and it is), why is 10-12 not appropriate at the intersection of two relatively major roads? I'm happy there's a body like the OMB to reinforce provincial legislation (e.g. PTG/GP) and protect us from irrational 'fear of heights' yokels like yourself.

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter since you've already lost.

Last edited:
wow.
Lesson learned, don't post your opinion unless it agrees with the core clique.

Not really, but the 'new stuff on Carlaw is too tall' meme is getting really old. Some of the old stuff on Carlaw (Wrigley, e.g.) was more than 6 stories already.

Next to go, after The Carlaw gets built out, will be the parking lots south of WorkLofts and east of Flatiron. I agree with UD, there needs to be a step down to Boston. I like UD's idea of 6 story, then 4 story THs, but I could easily see it being 6-8 story, then three-story semis on Boston to match the opposite streetscape.

Last edited:
Next to go, after The Carlaw gets built out, will be the parking lots south of WorkLofts and east of Flatiron.

The parking lot south of WorkLofts is owned by the Wrigley building lofts.

Not really,

Yes, really, and not just in this thread.

BTW -- have there been people moving into WorkLofts? As I was headed home the other day, I thought I saw a south facing unit with furniture and lights lit up.

I looked at a few units in there not too long ago. Residents have moved in. There's about 5 decorated suites you can view as well.

The parking lot south of WorkLofts is owned by the Wrigley building lofts.

Yes, really, and not just in this thread.

So... when offered $$$ and parking slots in the new building some developer proposes, the folks on the Wrigley board will say no? It may not be tomorrow or next week, but I bet five years from now they'll be in negotiations (assuming The Carlaw and.. Showcase(?) are up and sold.)

As for the shouting down, if you have cogent arguments, then you'll get sympathy for your position. But, quite frankly, this is a forum for urbanites who like construction. What do you expect -- folks to give you love for saying 'too tall'? Doesn't fit the streetscape when it obviously does?

So... when offered $$$ and parking slots in the new building some developer proposes, the folks on the Wrigley board will say no? It may not be tomorrow or next week, but I bet five years from now they'll be in negotiations (assuming The Carlaw and.. Showcase(?) are up and sold.)

As for the shouting down, if you have cogent arguments, then you'll get sympathy for your position. But, quite frankly, this is a forum for urbanites who like construction. What do you expect -- folks to give you love for saying 'too tall'? Doesn't fit the streetscape when it obviously does?

If you say so....although it could be said about any property in any city.
Are you on the board?
What inside information do you have?
Why not share with us?

I think it will be a lot longer. The cost would likely be too high for any developer/ land assembler dealing with the board and individual owners. I doubt they would settle for anything less than underground replacements which would easily swallow any potential profit from the redevelopment of the site.

If you say so....although it could be said about any property in any city.
Are you on the board?
What inside information do you have?
Why not share with us?

I have no inside information, I'm not on the board, I don't live in the building. I've just taken the 72 bus for 10+ years and watched each project break ground as the last one was completed. However -- where would the next building go? I guess the parking lot north of Shoppers would go first, so it might be longer than I think.

Maestro -- you're probably right about the timeline. The Carlaw and Showcase have a lot of units to sell (and some big buildings to construct) before the Wrigley parking lot would even be put in play.

7048989965_5fd9148372_z.jpg

It's great to see that Flatiron Lofts is turning out true to the renderings. It has simple but effective architecture evoking interwar Modernist infill in European cities, yet also nicely taking advantage of the local context to form a distinctive new flatiron building.

Back