Toronto Worklofts + Flatiron Lofts in the Film District | ?m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

I don't understand the pro-Lamb thrust of this thread. Are you paid operatives or do you just have some kind of fetish for modernistic crap? These glass and steel towers are totally out of keeping with the neighbourhood, will loom over gorgeous Victorian and Edwardian homes and vintage industrial buildings, degrade the green canopy and overwhelm TTC services (not to mention the traffic disruption and belching dust for years on end during the construction phase), all so Mr. Lamb and his ilk can line their pockets before moving on to the next gentrifying pocket with a misguided councillor. Bleh.

Wow -- somebody punch your puppy in the dog park? As Travis says, this is a great addition to Carlaw.

It's not looming over anything except the crappy parking lot west of Boston, the tree canopy on Boston has not been touched, the 72 bus will be just fine with a slightly faster schedule if necessary, they're only about 10 stories tall, and they replace a very crappy gas station and a decrepit one-story pile of bricks. I don't even get the Lamb and councillor jibes, at least for this project.

You might want to vent your spleen about something not so completely fabulous for the neighbourhood...

Last edited:
Bevans, I would add:

Check the number of posts of the people that are posting in this thread. Do you really think that those with hundreds and thousands of posts on UrbanToronto have been paid by anyone to shill for these projects? Most UrbanToronto members are simply passionate about this city, and how it is evolving.

You might find others on UrbanToronto who share your view that these are not appropriate buildings for your neighbourhood, or who similarly do not like modernist architecture, but to assume that anyone who disagrees with your points of view must therefore be a paid operative is nearly paranoid. Yes, other interested parties may hold a different points of view, and they may be entirely reasonable. If you want a discussion it is better to engage others than it is to accuse them.

I've seen this development in person, many times and I think it looks great. It will only improve the neighbourhood.

I don't understand the pro-Lamb thrust of this thread. Are you paid operatives or do you just have some kind of fetish for modernistic crap? These glass and steel towers are totally out of keeping with the neighbourhood, will loom over gorgeous Victorian and Edwardian homes and vintage industrial buildings, degrade the green canopy and overwhelm TTC services (not to mention the traffic disruption and belching dust for years on end during the construction phase), all so Mr. Lamb and his ilk can line their pockets before moving on to the next gentrifying pocket with a misguided councillor. Bleh.

This project doesn't look the least bit out of place.

Lamb is filling in the holes in the streetscapes with attractive midrise buildings that will fit in with their brick cladding. They impress with sleek and well-detailed architecture, not just by height. They're mid-rise buildings with curves, and that's refreshing amidst all the high-rise towers being built with nothing but right angles and curtainwall. These buildings look better than some of the boring midrise infill coming to Queen West like the upcoming project at Queen and Dufferin. Empty lots make for depressing areas without a profile, but those lots can be filled with interesting buildings that bring new residents and business. A neighbourhood can be revived and improve its profile this way without compromising its heritage.

Bump, for argument's sake with The Carlaw.

Hard to say how Flatiron will look when clad (will the change to black bricks on Worklofts be repeated?) but I love these two buildings. In contrast, The Carlaw looks much more muscular -- on steroids, even.

Last edited:
Worklofts was having an open house last night, selling, I believe, some of the 2nd floor commercial space. Lots of folks going in to take a look.

They seem to be almost finished the parking garage and loading dock next to it. They've really moving along with this -- and the Flatiron's now up to 3-4 stories above street level, as well.

Last edited:
Took some shots while I was in the area last week:

6456711003_310f950c2f_b.jpg

6456736759_33a1b5a080_b.jpg

6456727681_ddf9fa5c2d_b.jpg

6456722021_15da760f5c_b.jpg

6456731877_02c8dae1c0_b.jpg

6456741723_31ba663fb4_b.jpg

6456751717_6eb7c51867_b.jpg

6456776045_279ba012b7_b.jpg

6456746753_938f6b0e71_b.jpg

6456758005_d86bac53ab_b.jpg

6456766271_841ffc07fc_b.jpg

6456771007_817c093145_b.jpg

6456782203_26b810137f_b.jpg

6456815835_213d85e8b6_b.jpg

Yeah, these are looking great! What a huge step forward for this area.

That's your back garden naturally. And the curb you bang into when you open your door. Seems generous to me.

okay, I give, what's the real answer?

17 December 2011. Boston Av residents, I'm not certain what you're bitching about here re: intruding on your space. There's a rather nasty setback from the street along Boston--very suburban in scale not urban here. The area needs a ton more development, like for example what's happening on the parking lot here?

033cv.jpg

036ut.jpg

I'd continue the 5s streetwall here on the parking lot stepping down to 4s THs along Boston. Great architecture is a must here, unlike those other recent THs down Boston that look awfully suburban.

037ab.jpg

However, can someone tell me what these are?.....LOL:

Those are the back doors on the ground floor commercial units. Looks like they assumed shops/offices wouldn't care about a deck -- so it's just a way to step out onto the railway ROW/green park (and probably for fire safety reasons they needed a second door.)

Back