Toronto Worklofts + Flatiron Lofts in the Film District | ?m | 11s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

They certainly build by-the-floor in Lima, Peru. If they can do it...

156927347_f62e1487b0_b.jpg

it might have something to do with property taxes. i remember asking about the rebar sticking out of a bunch of houses in greece. i was told that unfinished buildings paid less property tax so everybody had an unfinished building. maybe they were pulling my leg.

Only if you live in South Riverdale.

South Riverdale??? The debate over South Riverdale vs. Leslieville has been over for 10 years. Anyone who doesn't know this intersection is Leslieville can't possibly live in the area, which is what I suspected of those pumping the height on this building.

Speaking for those of us who live north of you, we're happy to still call the area south of Gerrard from Pape to Broadview South Riverdale (or Riverside once you're down to Queen.) Just because y'all installed some extra 'Leslieville' signs west of Pape on Queen doesn't mean the rest of us have to buy in.

As for 11s for the Flatiron, I still don't understand why this scares the pants of so many people. It's going to be the corner of two busy streets, not down some side street. It's the northern definition of the new condos from Dundas to Queen on Carlaw. The Wrigley is already 8-10 (regular) stories in height (due to the double-high stories), right? 233 and the Printing Factory will be almost as high, and much wider. Lay off the poor Flatiron!

I agree with the 'hospital' comment about the render. I hope they go more retro with this and try to replicate a real Flatiron a little more.

(due to the double-high stories), right?

the only double height floors are in the buildings on the west side of Carlaw.
Those building are only 4 (normal) stories high.
the wrigley buildings have 11' ceilings.

Flatiron too high

At the risk of belabouring the point, does anyone defending the density of this project live in the area? North of Gerrard doesn't count. Would 'prime' Riverdale allow highrises along Withrow Park? Do the Beaches allow 11 storeys long Kingston Road? Even the Danforth doesn't go anywhere near this high (at least along any of the 'good' parts, where residents have had the clout to resist rapacious developers). Toronto has reached a magic but delicate balance of density in its old neighbourhoods. Projects like this threaten the equilibrium. I'm not against development on this obviously derilect corner. But that doesn't mean anything goes. Fletcher let us down here. It's too high.

Depends. Indeed, the argument can be made that the immediate area's preexisting industrial-rather-than-residential nature is *more* of an alibi for highrise scale, i.e. it makes more sense at Dundas + Carlaw than it would at Dundas + Jones...

I live on Boston Ave., the street right behind this development (and others). I'm of two minds about this project. As others have noted, Flatiron will bring some needed life to this otherwise derelict intersection. However, the building seems way too tall. The Garment Factory fits in relatively well at 8 storeys, the Printing Factory which is directly opposite my house, is slated for 9 and already seems large at only 3 storeys of construction. Although Flatiron is only 11, I think it's just too much for this area of the city. I'm not against development, I think all these projects in Leslieville are great, but they need to fit into the scale of the neighbourhood.

How tall is Worklofts supposed to be?

I jogged up Boston on Saturday. The Wrigley, while only 6 stories, is only about a 1/2 story shorter than the 8 story buildings due south (including the Clothing Factory).

I would agree that the Printing Factory does feel massive. I'll be interested to see how it feels once the landscaping is done and fences are down -- it'll depend on how they deal with the frontage on Boston. If it's one big driveway, that'll suck. If they have a decent screen of trees/bushes/etc., I think the condo tower won't be as in-your-face as it is now.

The townhouses in the old U-shaped building are going to be gorgeous! Re-doing the triangular skylights really looks good.

As for the Flatiron -- I'm still OK with 11 stories. It won't intrude on Dundas & Carlaw as that's the 'sharp' end, and the CNR right-of-way will separate it from Worklofts and Boston.

Which leads to another question -- will the developers/neighbours/city be able to get CNR to agree to landscape (or let them landscape) the ROW?

I would agree that the Printing Factory does feel massive. I'll be interested to see how it feels once the landscaping is done and fences are down -- it'll depend on how they deal with the frontage on Boston. If it's one big driveway, that'll suck. If they have a decent screen of trees/bushes/etc., I think the condo tower won't be as in-your-face as it is now

I'm hoping once the townhouses are built that face Boston, the tower won't seem so large. Also, the Builder is supposed to "reclaim" the unused rail spur for landscaping and a sidewalk, somewhat similar to what's been done at the Garment Factory (I hope).

Drove by this morning and it seems construction is starting. There is one piece of heavy equipment on-site and a construction trailor.

Back