Toronto Woodside Square Redevelopment | 112.1m | 33s | WSIM Group | Graziani + Corazza

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City has initiated a planning review for the site Woodside Square Mall at 1571 Sandhurst Circle in Scarborough.

It is situated at the north-west corner of McCowan and Finch.

The owner expressed an interest in expanding the mall to add a new cinema complex, restaurant uses and wanted to explore adding residential density.

Initial report here:

There was a public open house, last night, Dec 4th, Albert Campbell Collegiate.

I did not attend and became aware of this due a tweet about the event.

Supplementary materials are not yet online.

Thanks for posting. This is the first I've heard of redevelopment at Woodside, yet I'm not surprised.

My spouse's family lives nearby, and I'm at the mall at least once a month. There are some vacant stores inside, and most businesses (apart from the food court) are local shops, rather than national chains, but it's still busy. The restaurants on the exterior are especially busy. Try getting anywhere near Casa de Luz on a weekend morning during dim sum.

So it is good to see preliminary plans for residential expansion, rather than total redevelopment. It could meet the street better (a lot of visitors walk to the mall; this was reflected in the PIPS consultations), but it's a real community hub.

It's interesting that like Bridletowne Circle, this mall has definitively become oriented towards the local Chinese and Indian groups- I think there's an Indian Bollywood cinema at Woodside Square as well alongside the forementioned dim sum place. Both also have decent public libraries inside the malls which are usually well attended.

That being said, renovations are welcome; Woodside Square's interiors have aged rather poorly (in that late 80s-90s beige-on-beige manner), and at least some minor changes would help it feel less dated.

1571 SANDHURST CRCL
Ward 23 - Scarborough District

Development Applications

Infill development on existing shopping mall parking area. The existing Woodside Square shopping mall to remain and infill development comprises of 6 towers ranging from 23 to 28 storey heights and 3 mid-rise buildings ranging from 12 to 14 storey heights. All buildings will be mixed-use with commercial uses on the ground floor and residential uses above.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodside Square Open House Presentation Materials

Site and surrounding context:

1591251383858.png

Potential development concepts:

• Infill concept (potential rezoning application, short-term)
1591251493154.png

• Comprehensive concept (theoretical, long-term)
1591251628536.png

Last edited:
Well, there goes another Toronto neighborhood destroyed by G+C's architectural trash.

Here we go again with their alternating white/black, cheap balcony cladded non-sense. Honestly are they capable of designing anything more than that?

Those plans arise from a separate SPA application filed in 2018.

1571 SANDHURST CRCL
Ward 23 - Scarborough District

Proposed development of a two storey addition to existing commercial mall to create new cinemas using the existing underground parking garage

1591712727231.png

Well, there goes another Toronto neighborhood destroyed by G+C's architectural trash.

Here we go again with their alternating white/black, cheap balcony cladded non-sense. Honestly are they capable of designing anything more than that?
Nope.

Anyone know what the parking situation is going to look like for mall goers? The last time I was there, parking spaces were in quite short-supply and I can't imagine what it would be like when basically all the parking is covered with condos. Will they be putting some parking in the condo's garage?

Damn, my mother in law lives right around the corner. Never thought I'd see something like this over there. Don't like anything G+C including this crap.

My cousins used to go to school across the street from that mall. It’s good to see that they’ll be developing the areas around it. It’ll help rejuvenate the community and add some diversification to the existing space.

So should we be talking about extending the Finch LRT to meet the Eglinton LRT at Malvern yet?

I really don't understand why all these mall redevelopments don't do anything substantial with the property. I kind of got my hopes up when I saw the comprehensive plan, but it doesn't look like they're going to do anything with that. Are they just anticipating that all the car traffic is going to vanish, or are they hoping that the enclosed mall just rots away without street presence?

Also the towers look too busy and uninspired, and the "parks" don't look inviting either. The tower-in-the-park nonsense surrounding the mall should arguably be dealt with before anything happens here.

Back