Toronto Widdicombe & Eglinton Condos | ?m | 3s | Cityzen | TACT Architecture

I wonder if the sign is up because phase 2 should be starting soon?!

and why is it taking so long?? I don't get it.... it's a house... not a building....
But then again.... I have no clue how construction works! :p

Hey!

You said "In the email from Fernbrook they stated the loss of square-footage would be made up in our second bedroom."
They never told us that.... wouldn't that create changes in the entire 2nd floor? How can they make the second bedroom bigger?? By making the master bedroom smaller?

And did anyone contact a lawyer about this?? In our contract, it states that we can't take any legal action for changes in the floor plans....

Are we allowed to back out of this deal at any time?

Initially our furnace was to be on the Second Level within the Laundry room.
When they made the changes to the DEN they moved the furnace from the 2nd level to the 3rd.

If you notice the floor plans which I posted last we gained some square footage in the 2nd bedroom, essentially pushing the closet back into the same the furnace was supposed to be.
This is what we signed and sent to fernbrook after they announced they would be screwing us in our Den space

The plans on fernbrooks site:

Capture.JPG

Clearly they don’t plan to amend us our space in our second bedroom... and of course can I get a straight answer from anyone?!? Definitely not.... j

We were given the option to back out or take the change in our floor plans, which was signed and sent, as per my previous post.

I have contacted my lawyer to see what rights we have to back out, so we’ll see.

At the same token, we’ve invested this much time, what’s another few months ?!?!

If you look around you won’t find anything at this price point anywhere and I can only imagine how great the ROI will be.

Paul

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,181
Copy and paste this in your URL: https://www.google.ca/#q=4780+Eglington+Ave+west

There is a bunch of PDF's to download, the one I find most important is the one dated May 29th, 2014.
Look at this piece:

Site and Surrounding Area
The site is located on the northeast corner of Widdicombe Hill Boulevard and Eglinton
Avenue West and is currently vacant. This site was originally intended to be part of the
planned Richview Expressway which was cancelled in the 1960's. The property was
subsequently deemed surplus by the City and transferred to Build Toronto for
development purposes in 2011, following approval of the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail
Transit Environmental Assessment. The land has subsequently been purchased by the
applicant.

My question is it not the City's Responsibility as well to put up a Zoning Sign on the property in question, back when we are all visiting the on-site sales office to make a home purchases? As I mentioned in my earlier messages there is now a Zoning Sign Directly in the driveway going to the Sales Office? Where was this sign when we all purchased? S&A

Maybe someone want to reach out to Pat Foran @ CTV, maybe he can go public with this and the rest of purchasers can get involved.
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/more/bios/pat-foran-1.282277

I think we are stronger in numbers, to get legal direction maybe a Class Action Lawsuit

STAFF REPORT ACTION REQUIRED 4780 Eglinton ...
www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-69975.pdf
4780 Eglinton Avenue West - Zoning By-law Amendment and Draft Plan of Subdivision Applications - Preliminary. Report. Date: May 29, 2014. To: Etobicoke ...
[PDF]4780 Eglinton Avenue West - City of Toronto
www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-74669.pdf
Jan 9, 2015 - Act. A hearing date has been scheduled for. March 23, 2015. Staff report for action – Request for Direction - 4780 Eglinton Avenue West. 1.
[PDF]Zoning By-law Amendment, Draft Plan of Subdivision and ...
www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-74281.pdf
Dec 15, 2014 - 4780 Eglinton Avenue West - Zoning By-law. Amendment, Draft Plan of Subdivision and Site Plan. Control Applications - Request for Direction ...

I dont think that has anything to do with the condo site. it looks like it pertains to the freehold development on the EAST side of Widdecombe.

Well this is on-site.

I believe it has to do with the town-house condo.
Image2.jpg

S&A

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 1,462
IMG_20150302_082805235.jpg

IMG_20150302_082813173.jpg

IMG_20150302_082816341.jpg

IMG_20150302_082819492.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150302_082805235.jpg
    IMG_20150302_082805235.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMG_20150302_082813173.jpg
    IMG_20150302_082813173.jpg
    815.1 KB · Views: 1,241
  • IMG_20150302_082816341.jpg
    IMG_20150302_082816341.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_20150302_082819492.jpg
    IMG_20150302_082819492.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,230
Well this is on-site.

I believe it has to do with the town-house condo.View attachment 42047

S&A

Once again, this does not have anything to do with the CONDO site which in municipally addressed 4800 Eglinton and is the topic of this forum. All this zoning stuff has to do with the FREEHOLD townhomes and semis that are proposed to be built on the EAST side of Widdicombe (4780 Eglinton). It is a completely different development being built by Fernbrook.

Hey all, me again!
So I’d like to run something by you guys and please let me know your thoughts.

Today I spoke with the Fernbrook Décor Center in regards to having some additional upgrades added, in this case it was to eliminate the popcorn ceilings and go flat on our 2nd and 3rd level.
Fernbrook Décor Center is telling me that if I want to make any additional upgrades at this time they charge an extra $350 per upgrade due to additional/late changes.

Is it just me or does that seem absolutely absurd considering what we/I’ve gone through... examples:

Delays (which is get)
Signed off change in floor plans which haven’t met what we actually signed
Massive electrical/utility pole erect directly across from my roof top terrace, which I’m pretty sure isn’t at a safe distance away.
Reimbursement $$ from the change in floor plans (minus the upgraded flooring) when they took our den space away--- which I still haven’t received BTW... Can I ask for a late fee of $350 ?!?

And now I want to spend more $$ and they want to charge me additional late fees, how the @#$& does that work... and they won’t budge on this

Does anyone have any ideas who I can contact... or I’m I just another duped consumer taken advantage off ?!?

I’ve attempted to contact several people listed in Fernbrook’s ‘Customer Care’ (funny isn’t it) and Contact Database section, and of course no response from anyone.

If you really put things into perspective, Fernbrook has essentially cost many of us $1000 for this whole process.

Ultimately, screw the delays, screw the Electrical poll, screw the $$ they owe me and screw the floor plan changes, I just want someone to say “I’m tremendously sorry and I sympathize with what you’ve gone through, so here is what we are going to do for you”... Honestly, I’d probably be 150% happy if they come back and say... “Don’t worry about the $350” .

What do you think... too much to ask?

We should rename this forum too “The Trials and Tribulations of Fernbrook Homes”

PS. My Wife and I are first time home buyer's and many people warned us not to go brand new, I now get why

Last edited:
Hey PaulyC,

Just to answer some of your questions (I work in the industry and also bought a unit here).

The $350 fee upgrade is pretty standard. Every building will charge at least $250 per change even if the change is to something cheaper than what was originally there. They claim this as an "adminstration fee" and it is because a lot of planning and organizing has to go into managing what all these owners chose for each of their houses. Every time a change is made, someone has to make it and change their paperwork, etc. Its a steep fee but, like i said, its pretty standard practice for all builders. The extra $100 is probably your late fee which they make pretty clear it will cost you extra for making changes after your decor meeting.

Of all your complaints, oddly enough, the only one that doesnt make sense is the delays. I go by the site quite often at it seems like they have very little crew on site actually doing anything. My guess is that there was some type of hold up in the manufacturing process, either with the windows or the steel beams supporting them.

It sucks that the builder makes changes but unfortunately its part of the contract. You can negotiate a "rebate" of some sort with them in order to sign off on the changes but the reality is that they couldnt care less. They would actually love it if you were to break your contract and ask for your money back (losing your deposit), then they could re-sell your unit to someone else at whatever the inflated cost would now be. So you're kinda stuck.

There is nothing you can do about the utility pole and neither can they. Builders are not responsible for utility poles and the pole is most likely not on the development property. This would be something you would have to take up with the city or utility company and im not sure it is a can of worms you want to open with them.

I dont think you have been 'duped', but this is the nature of new construction and why the cost of purchasing a unit at this stage is much less than purchasing one that has already been built. The delays suck but if you have the luxury to wait them out, you always have the option of selling the unit when it is finally built and you will most likely make a good profit due to buying it pre-construction.

There are pros and cons to pre-construction and you have been witnessing the cons. Buying something from a piece of paper is a much different reality than being able to go into an already built unit and assess it. As i mentioned, the pros are that the prices in which you paid pre-construction are much lower. Feel free to private message me if you have specific questions.

Hey all, me again!
So I’d like to run something by you guys and please let me know your thoughts.

Today I spoke with the Fernbrook Décor Center in regards to having some additional upgrades added, in this case it was to eliminate the popcorn ceilings and go flat on our 2nd and 3rd level.
Fernbrook Décor Center is telling me that if I want to make any additional upgrades at this time they charge an extra $350 per upgrade due to additional/late changes.

Is it just me or does that seem absolutely absurd considering what we/I’ve gone through... examples:

Delays (which is get)
Signed off change in floor plans which haven’t met what we actually signed
Massive electrical/utility pole erect directly across from my roof top terrace, which I’m pretty sure isn’t at a safe distance away.
Reimbursement $$ from the change in floor plans (minus the upgraded flooring) when they took our den space away--- which I still haven’t received BTW... Can I ask for a late fee of $350 ?!?

And now I want to spend more $$ and they want to charge me additional late fees, how the @#$& does that work... and they won’t budge on this

Does anyone have any ideas who I can contact... or I’m I just another duped consumer taken advantage off ?!?

I’ve attempted to contact several people listed in Fernbrook’s ‘Customer Care’ (funny isn’t it) and Contact Database section, and of course no response from anyone.

If you really put things into perspective, Fernbrook has essentially cost many of us $1000 for this whole process.

Ultimately, screw the delays, screw the Electrical poll, screw the $$ they owe me and screw the floor plan changes, I just want someone to say “I’m tremendously sorry and I sympathize with what you’ve gone through, so here is what we are going to do for youâ€... Honestly, I’d probably be 150% happy if they come back and say... “Don’t worry about the $350†.

What do you think... too much to ask?

We should rename this forum too “The Trials and Tribulations of Fernbrook Homesâ€

PS. My Wife and I are first time home buyer's and many people warned us not to go brand new, I now get why

Hey PaulyC,

...There is nothing you can do about the utility pole and neither can they. Builders are not responsible for utility poles and the pole is most likely not on the development property. This would be something you would have to take up with the city or utility company and im not sure it is a can of worms you want to open with them.

Then there is the question of where the fire hydrants and the mailbox locations will be. As well as how visitor and service vehicle parking will be handled.

Back