Toronto Widdicombe & Eglinton Condos | ?m | 3s | Cityzen | TACT Architecture

SixPoints

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hopefully there's not a thread out there for this already.

Urban townhomes.

2012_06_29_10_45_08_logo.png

2012_09_13_05_43_23_we.png

2012_08_17_08_59_47_widdicombe.jpg

Sales Office opened this morning ... Hopefully we'll see more information about this development trickle out

Urban townhomes.

Urban? Eglinton just east of Pearson airport? huh? Seems like a bit of a stretch from a marketing standpoint, but the design looks pretty interesting at least.

Urban? Eglinton just east of Pearson airport? huh? Seems like a bit of a stretch from a marketing standpoint, but the design looks pretty interesting at least.

I think the design of the town homes are "urban" but you are right, there is nothing urban about the area. Maybe the crime rate.

The design is very similar to Alterra's Westwood condos. I wonder if this is a new trend. I really like this style.

I was hoping that the expressway right-of-way lands would eventually be developed into urban condominiums with retail fronting the street. Eglinton could be an attractive main street for the area, but not with subdivisions of townhouses and towers in the park. Eventually, light rail will be built on this part of Eglinton, meaning that an avenues approach to development would be appropriate.

No street fronting retail?!?!?!?! This is a perfect opportunity to urbanize this wasteland of Etobicoke. As of one of the biggest and most important streets in Toronto with a major transit line in the future running to the airport, why is something so small scale getting proposed on a stretch that should become an "avenue"? There are so few good retail strips in the suburbs as is, and now they're going to repeat the mistakes of the past? This is a blank slate!! What the hell is wrong with the local councillor and the idiots at city planning?

You really should get to know a neighbourhood before you opine on it. Etobicoke stretches from the lake well north. This is a very good neighbourhood.
I think the design of the town homes are "urban" but you are right, there is nothing urban about the area. Maybe the crime rate.

The design is very similar to Alterra's Westwood condos. I wonder if this is a new trend. I really like this style.

I don't know. I am there all the time, walking, biking, driving. But enough.

Immediately south of the site in question is a large corner lot with an older mall with a Metro. It's parking lot is terribly underutilized and you know the land has to move along sometime. I see recently blue fencing around the corner of the property. A contributor to this thread thought the W/E complex should be more retail. Perhaps we will get some decent retail out of this potential corner redevelopment. No signs about an application being submitted.
A lot of Etobicoke is urban but I was referring to that particular stretch (Eglington/Kipling Surrounding Area).
The crime rate is pretty high in that area. Example of a recent death due to a shooting incident - http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/225361

Back