Toronto West Don Lands: Blocks 17 & 26 | 141m | 43s | Aspen Ridge | Core Architects

There is now a Go Fund Me campaign for the Friends of the Foundry to bring their injunction. I think this is important. As mentioned in a couple of posts, the City as a bureaucratic and political entity is unlikely to be able to move with enough speed to bring their own injunction to halt demolition before a point of no return.

If demolition were halted today, even the building the province has begun to tear down could likely be salvaged. The Friends' goal of $30K is reasonable for a legal retainer of this sort, and the sooner they reach that goal, the sooner an interim injunction could be in place.

I would be interested to know what law firm they have engaged to do this work.

Anyway, here's the link: https://gofund.me/77b4ae97

Very quiet around mid morning .... very few workers, no media/police and few onlookers.
C633B0E1-80EC-4FB4-9D37-7A4102503430.jpeg

It always seems silly to suggest it, but the frustration has gotten to me. Feel free to excuse my generalized rant - but can we get a Province of Toronto already?

Governments will change sure, but the manner in which we’ve seen the current Ontario govt. smash the local electoral ridings prior to a municipal election, (completely out of spite) and the whole MZO debacle, tells me that Toronto needs to be protected from the province.

Looking at election results, Toronto didn’t vote for these people, they definitely didn’t vote for their mandate, nor do they agree with their actions that weren’t in any mandate whatsoever.

A city is a living and breathing human project where people live, it’s not simply a collection of tourist attractions, sports stadiums and investment opportunities. But the city part of Toronto has long been governed by the suburbs and the rest of the province, who seem to see it that way.

I don’t see a lot of innovation springing forth from having the city governed by tourists, folks who are keen on visiting, trashing the joint and stashing their problems here before taking a highly subsidized highway out of town (Woodbridge looks like it has plenty of room for affordable housing, and would be great for addiction and rehabilitation centres, let’s get on that no?)

this pandemic has shown glaring weakness in all levels of government, ironically because people’s general mistrust of all levels and parties in government. Even in their most earnest of hours, governments here can’t take a necessary hardline with the public, because the public has seen them overreach, act in corrupt fashion and remove any and all confidence. So here we are rounding the corner on a full year of “lockdowns”. Folks suffering and dying because nobody can get it together.

I’m not saying that it would have made things over the last year any better, but man, I think of the candidates who were running for municipal seats before council was culled, and I think of the wide array of new voices that we would have had at city hall helping fight this.

Instead, Corktown, Canary, the Distillery, we get less representation, a back hoe through heritage buildings, months of all night construction and billions poured into a little-used expressway extension, all the while we’ve been paying increased property taxes for a white elephant subway extension in Scarborough.

Toronto needs to stop being governed by Vaughn and Oshawa, Thunder Bay and Etobicoke, all according to what THEY want to get out of a city. We live here dammit, and this city belongs to us.

Plenty of Torontonians voted PC. Much of the outer 416 is usually a toss up. I think it's more complicated than you suggest. Certainly, it would be good for the City to be less paternalized by the Province. But I wouldn't neglect the differences within the city itself.

Another photo, they were starting to demolish the roof of the shorter building to north of site (along Eastrern) and were putting up protective fences on Eastern. So much for the City cancelling street occupancy permits!

IMG_0334[1].JPG

Our leadership is small minded and cruel and unfortunately a lot of Torontonians and Ontarians like that.

Of course our cowardly mayor who has been holding back the city in his timidity for years is nowhere to be seen, but it seems like he has accepted his subservient position to our authoritarian bully overlord abusive father figure King Doug and doesn't want to spend his political capital on fighting this and instead is saving it for negotiating with the province around the COVID crisis, which to be fair is understandable, but this (and much worse as we see around COVID and in other jurisdictions) is what happens when conservative movements are too timid to contain their worst elements and instead foster them for electoral success and elevate them to leadership.

How many times is this province going to elect bad, overtly hostile, or corrupt leadership (applies to provincial Liberals too) before we finally learn our lesson? Unfortunately I'm not sure we will even yet or ever. The political culture in this province is cruel, and selfish — among the politicians and among the voters too.

I imagine there are a lot of conservatives in the development industry, perhaps even reading this. I would ask them to consider and reflect on what their political ideology is bringing to the world, and if it's really worth the money that they're making to abuse our city like this, to have our elections disrupted by a bully authoritarian that their movement foisted on us as a leader, not to mention the deaths from COVID that could be avoided if we had responsible leadership. You have only one life, and just like buildings can be destroyed, so can your soul and your humanity if you spend it selfishly pursuing destruction for your own benefit.

Last edited:
Does anything KWT is fighting for even matter? At the end of the day, the province says it's doing this for affordable housing. They don't need public consultation or further heritage studies - just like they didn't for the new modular housing sites, or the LTC sites they have approved through MZOs.

^ It may matter depending on what happens at court. I think I heard during the coverage of the Committee that the Province had to do something related to the heritage before demolition and since the City hasn't received it, they are going to ask the court to see if it was done.

Does anything KWT is fighting for even matter? At the end of the day, the province says its doing this for affordable housing. They don't need public consultation or further heritage studies - just like they didn't for the new modular housing sites, or the LTC sites they have approved through MZOs.
^ Even more than the specific requirements that may apply, I think it is VERY important to push back on the Province's over use of MZOs. They are, at their heart, an anti-democratic mechanism to rezone properties by regulation, without the need to inform people of what is happening and with no formal mechanism for feedback. They should be used for only the most pressing of provincial needs, but they have been turned into tools of convenience for the PCs. This is what Alex Bozikovic got so wrong in his articles by providing some justification for the province to employ MZOs.

The demolition of the Dominion Foundry Complex is a particularly bad example - the MZOs were passed without consultation or any explanation, they do NOT ensure that affordable housing will be developed or provide any heritage protection, there is no proposal or development application that exists (or none that has been disclosed--which is even worse), the Province refuses to produce documents including studies it says it is relying on to justify its actions, and this case involves the demolition of the last significant heritage buildings in a neighbourhood against the clear wishes of the community.

The fact that Doug Ford and Steven Clark can't be bothered to respond to multiple elected officials and the community, despite significant political and media pressure, shows just what a tool for corruption MZOs have become and why their use must be restricted. They are a hammer that is used to crush dissent, rather than a thoughtful reform to the planning system. Literally everyone should be alarmed by how they are being employed, because it will be your community next.

^ It may matter depending on what happens at court. I think I heard during the coverage of the Committee that the Province had to do something related to the heritage before demolition and since the City hasn't received it, they are going to ask the court to see if it was done.
Yes, the proper procedure is in Gregg Lintern's letter to the Ministry referenced above.

^ Even more than the specific requirements that may apply, I think it is VERY important to push back on the Province's over use of MZOs. They are, at their heart, an anti-democratic mechanism to rezone properties by regulation, without the need to inform people of what is happening and with no formal mechanism for feedback. They should be used for only the most pressing of provincial needs, but they have been turned into tools of convenience for the PCs. This is what Alex Bozikovic got so wrong in his articles by providing some justification for the province to employ MZOs.

The demolition of the Dominion Foundry Complex is a particularly bad example - the MZOs were passed without consultation or any explanation, they do NOT ensure that affordable housing will be developed or provide any heritage protection, there is no proposal or development application that exists (or none that has been disclosed--which is even worse), the Province refuses to produce documents including studies it says it is relying on to justify its actions, and this case involves the demolition of the last significant heritage buildings in a neighbourhood against the clear wishes of the community.

The fact that Doug Ford and Steven Clark can't be bothered to respond to multiple elected officials and the community, despite significant political and media pressure, shows just what a tool for corruption MZOs have become and why their use must be restricted. They are a hammer that is used to crush dissent, rather than a thoughtful reform to the planning system. Literally everyone should be alarmed by how they are being employed, because it will be your community next.

I'm not defending the use of the MZO or the demolition of the buildings on site. I'm against both. I just think the approach the city is taking is essentially a waste of time and effort and everything will be gone by time there is any movement.

The city should send police in to stop construction crews from crossing the ROW into the site. Use some of those blocks they were using to close up illegal dispensaries to block access to the site - and then play out the battle in court. Get some MPP's camped out in the building so crews cant do any further damage.

The current approach just looks like a bunch of people screaming at someone who isn't listening, while the buildings continue coming down.

Back