Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

If Loblaws puts in another store of similar quality to their MLG and Queen Portland locations here, I imagine that several other retailers would be happy to piggyback on the traffic that would attract.

Bingo!

Not to mention that this area (Bathurst/Lakeshore/Fort York Blvd) is to be the 'retail centre' of CityPlace. There will be plenty of reasons for people to cross the rail tracks and venture south once the area is fully built out.

There is all of City Place, condos on QQ, Bathurst Quay neighbourhood and Fort York neighbourhood all within easy walking distance. That's a lot of potential retail sales in an area that's crying for retail. I don't think there will be a problem attracting retailers.

Thanks for all of the point of views.

From what I understand the actual retail to office mix/ratio is still up in the "air"....they may go as far as 4 storeys of retail on this site. I suspect so much depends on retailer interest to be on this site. A 4th floor user could be a fitness centre like LA Fitness. Either way, I hope they pull off an iconic project. It's also a gateway to the City, especially for all of the visiting Porter passengers that will see this building.

Isn't this neighbourhood entirely condo? Is there anyone in the neighbourhood that does not have access to fitness facilities in their building that they pay for through their condo fees? There may be a lot of young, active folks in the 'hood but I can't see a fitness facility wanting gamble that there are enough of them willing to pay, again, for a fitness membership....could be wrong though.

Ignore shoppers ... even after the merger Loblaws is taking a very hands off approach ... a.k.a Scotia bank and ING ... it would be very nice to see Loblaws move some folks downtown !

It may be nice but I think they actually have excess space in Brampton and since they only moved into it in 2004 and the amount of extra cost they laid on Orlando Corp I doubt they signed anything less than a 20 year lease on such an expensive/expansive single tenant building....could be wrong though.

EDIT...this is the cause of the excess space at the Brampton HQ.....http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/10/16/loblaw-layoffs.html

Last edited:
Isn't this neighbourhood entirely condo? Is there anyone in the neighbourhood that does not have access to fitness facilities in their building that they pay for through their condo fees? There may be a lot of young, active folks in the 'hood but I can't see a fitness facility wanting gamble that there are enough of them willing to pay, again, for a fitness membership....could be wrong though.
Yes re condo make-up. However, the same is true in Liberty Village and there are gyms and training facilities there that people pay to use, including a GoodLife.

Fitness clubs and private gyms are more comprehensive in terms of equipment and facilities. There's also the social factor of joining.

Yes re condo make-up. However, the same is true in Liberty Village and there are gyms and training facilities there that people pay to use, including a GoodLife.

I guess I assumed (that can be a mistake) that the Liberty Village gyms were predominantly (not exclusively) used by the employees at the various companies working but not living in the area.

The location in this thread seems to me to have less access from employment lands and is more pure res-condo in nature than LV.

Condo gyms are garbage. I had a Goodlife membership, as did many people living in CityPlace. Plenty of people have their keychain cards, and goodlife bags, and its not uncommon to run into people at the Union Goodlife. Just walking through Sobeys I would run into so many people I saw at the gym.

Condo gyms are good for the days when you just don't feel like trekking to Union.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know a number of people who are willing to pay for a gym membership despite having condo facilities for the reasons above. One guy I knew travelled to LV to use the gym there.

I live in the area and have a gym membership, despite having a decent gym as far as condos go. Its just not a big enough variety of equipment in my opinion. Condo gym's tend to just have basic machines.

urbandreamer will be happy with the choice of architect here

Back