Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

You would be correct with thaAt guess Ramako

Just a little concerned about it being 8 storeys and how well the design would need to transition between the heritage facade and the new construction above.

More than a little from me. I don't care at all what they do behind the gardiner, but this heritage building is one of the most special in the city.

Nice! aA do a great job revitalizing and integrating historical structures. Tip Top is one of my favorites, along with Radio City, Burano, and the atrium connection of the Terrence Donnelly Centre.

Would be nice if they go for a mini-Hearst Tower model.

AoD

hearst-tower-norman-foster.jpg

Yes this would be nice.

Attachments

• hearst-tower-norman-foster.jpg
    hearst-tower-norman-foster.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 514
bauhaus:

Indeed - though at 8s I wasn't referring to exterior built form per se - but more an idea around the arrangement of interior spaces - heritage shell + new building core w/ clerestory windows. Though of course given the size of the site, you probably can't have a space as open and dramatic as that.

http://www.archdaily.com/204701/flashback-hearst-tower-foster-and-partners/hearst12/

AoD

I see them just adding the office floors on top of the existing heritage building and activiting the interior space as traditional multi-level retail uses. The idea of a huge open building with the office or residential tower rising in the middle of it would in deed be a great re-purpose of this building. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

The building will not go 'on top'. There is underground parking proposed so it is coming down. Best we can hope for is facade retention. Although I suspect they're aiming for reconstruction based on their previous statements about the poor condition of the facade.

The plan is to preserve the facades on Bathurst and Lakeshore of the 4 storey building - the other two will be replaced

Given that plan was rejected a few years ago, what is the likelihood it will be approved this time around?

ive recently passed by on a showing with a client and it looks like they have demolished the back side of the building underneath the Gardiner. Looks like some kind of movement in the development. A supermarket is desperately needed in that area.

It would be better if they could save all four facades and simply build a new building behind them. It would still look like a heritage building on the outside--as opposed to just a facade tacked onto a new building. With a generous setback, an additional couple of storeys would be unnoticeable.

Back