Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

I never said the 905 was nasty. For most people in the GTA, the 905 stands for suburban living, where one needs a car to survive. I did not pass any judgement on that and I was not bashing the 905. I was just saying that a central, urban, high density neighbourhood, should act like an urban neighbourhood. People should not have to jump in a car to get a coffee, get something to eat or buy a loaf of bread. Our streets are way overcrowded with cars as it is. Not only that, it's a bad way to design a downtown neighbourhood. (for many reasons) With all those tall condos, there is no excuse not to have all the services and retail that a highly populated neighbourhood should.

If suburbanites want to maintain their suburban way of life, that's their business but expect urbanites to have their own agenda. From Duffrin, to The Don, to Davenport, keep it URBAN and animated!

Well first, I was a little hot-headed when I posted that; I am tired of all the 905 bashing as it is really silly and in the same breath, there are stereotypes about downtowners and 416ers.
I fully understand and appreciate your point; thanks for clarifying it.

But I feel that your argument still alienates people from living downtown though. I mean, I have friends that live downtown, and I'm going to use those who drive as an example. Most of them do drive to get groceries, go out for coffee and such, some have lived in Toronto their whole lives, some came from the 905. What I've come to realize, is that there are alot of lazy people (some are naturally lazy, some are stressed or tired, etc). You get into your car because you don't feel like taking the bus, or walking -- that you're "safer" in your car than walking the streets of Toronto. Or some have tried transit and cycling, but "transit gives them headaches" and "biking in Toronto sucks". So what do you tell those people? (and understand that I am not attacking your point of view, rather picking your brain). People live downtown because they want to as well, or it's closer to their work or family or school.

I agree with your point that the (or A) city should be designed to encourage walking and taking transit. Believe me, and this is coming from a 905er -- that I want to live in Toronto because I want to use my car less. I love the city life, I wanna walk to my favorite shops, restaurants and bars and if all I have to do is use my car to get to work and visit my parents? Then I'll love it.

And with relation to this thread, the people at CityPlace and Fort York should now be encouraged to go out and walk or take the TTC because that corner is being developed! If i'm not mistaken, those who live at Fort York, the closest grocery store is in Liberty Village, right? Anyways.. I just wanted to let off some steam.. hehe.

Last edited:
Sweet! Just moved into Luna and was wondering when Loblaws would be setting up shop. Also wondered what would end up on the bottom of N1/N2. Answers to both my questions in one thread! Thanks UT!

Recent photo taken Jan 7/11

5335883747_55875ec76a_b.jpg

Thanks for the pics!

I can recall hearing something but I was wondering if there will be any taller building being built on the shorter part of this site, I guess meaning the area in the forefront of the above photo.

I can recall hearing something but I was wondering if there will be any taller building being built on the shorter part of this site, I guess meaning the area in the forefront of the above photo.

The approved site plan put a parking garage and delivery docks behind the low wall in the the picture above.

I hope this one turns out to be a "Real Canadian Superstore" because we already have a number of Loblaws stores in the downtown core but not a single Real Canadian. Here is what's there now.[video=youtube;wDrKM4_kQQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDrKM4_kQQA[/video]

I hope this one turns out to be a "Real Canadian Superstore" because we already have a number of Loblaws stores in the downtown core but not a single Real Canadian. Here is what's there now.[video=youtube;wDrKM4_kQQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDrKM4_kQQA[/video]

As it stands today, there are unlikely to be anymore 'superstores' in Ontario.

The banner has not worked well for Loblaws (in Ontario). To my knowledge, their GM (general merchandise sales) are not performing up to expectations)

They may tinker a bit more yet; but as it stands, they're more likely to rebanner the existing superstores back to Loblaws (or No Frills) than to add more to the 'Superstore' brand.

The only non-food segment there happy with (so far as I hear) is Joe Fresh.

We'll have to see, Maple Leaf Gardens I am told will include several new selling concepts for the chain, those that work will show up in other stores, those that don't will vanish.

But I'm not expecting much growth in the 'GM' segment from them; ya never know though.....they could surprise me.

In other words they will level this building and rebuild..:confused:
Extremely unlikely, given their stated plans from some time ago, and also given the very recent renewed concerns about preserving heritage buildings in the city. It could be a real advantage to Loblaws to become known as a company which respects the city's architectural history. Many people would be glad to award them brownie points for that.

Why do you hope it turns out to be that? I mean other than the name.
We do not have a number of Loblaws stores in the downtown core. There is one at Jarvis and Queen's Quay, but that is NOT the core at all. Nobody even lives down there.

Back