Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

The South and West Walls will be saved. Personally, I'd prefer if they saved the East Wall as well.

Don't see why they can't just keep every wall... the North wall offers a cool spectacle off the Gardiner.

It is actually a ways from their Queens Quay store. 3.5km to be exact. I live in the Fort York area and this is badly needed, especially as there is very little within walking distance. It is also very inconvenient to get to the Jarvis location and takes about 30 mins without a car - you have to take a streetcar and then either walk, or wait for the bus.

Some rough estimates: there are ~7500 condos going up in the Fort York area, there have to be another ~2500 along Queens Quay, and then you have another probably ~4000 units in City Place to the west of Spadina. That probably works out to (at 1.5 people per unit) 21,000 people within a 10 minute walk.

The only real alternative in the area is the Sobeys in Cityplace, and that is really expensive.

Although it is quite close to their other new location at Queen and Portland. I live smack dab between the two and I have no idea which one I'll actually frequent once they're built.

Saving just two walls is bullshit. I say make them revitalize it, or seize the property. I'm sick of all the hack job renos and demolition by neglect that goes on in this city.

Saving just two walls is bullshit. I say make them revitalize it, or seize the property. I'm sick of all the hack job renos and demolition by neglect that goes on in this city.

Right, then why does the City of Toronto just not buy it for the 12 million or so bucks and spend another 50-100 million and do what they please.

The South and West Walls will be saved. Personally, I'd prefer if they saved the East Wall as well.

Agreed - although living in a west facing unit in Panorama, I am slightly biased... But I'm disappointed that what I thought was going to be a true reno now appears to be a token facade job. That is if it ever gets off the ground at all.

This morning, when I was coming in on the streetcar, it appeared like they were taking down the backboard on the hoarding (west side of building) that was put up last week. There also hasn't been any visible change in the last week - is this really going to start? It might be another false alarm...

I fear you may be correct. I reckon the scaffolding may have been erected solely to prevent parts of the crumbling building from falling directly onto pedestrians heads. I hope to be proven wrong, however.

Oh, must you be so literal? OK, how's this: One of the few interesting buildings on this bland block.

Who cares? It's an old building from when people were barely getting pulled around in horse-drawn buggies. Tear the old crap down - we need a grocery store there as quickly and as cheaply as possible. I won't miss something that I had no personal connection too - my name ain't Galen!

Heritage buffs have their day with Maurice

Luca%20Brasi.jpg

Can't wait! But seriously - all this talk about preserving heritage buildings is getting silly - should we try to preserve heritage toilets that stain and barely flush in our homes?

Personally, I think the old buildings look UGLY - I want steel and glass and modernity. I want buildings that are big F-U's to the past and demonstrate human advancement.

Who cares? It's an old building from when people were barely getting pulled around in horse-drawn buggies. Tear the old crap down - we need a grocery store there as quickly and as cheaply as possible. I won't miss something that I had no personal connection too - my name ain't Galen!

You're on the wroooonnnggggg forum bud. :p

It's because of people like you that we no longer have the Armouries, Toronto Star Building, 355 Yonge, and many other treasures.

Last edited:
But I want to understand why these are "treasures"? What purpose do they serve that couldn't be served better by just looking at a picture of them? I don't know about you, but I have better things to do than to stand outside an old/heritage building and "admire" the history of it. It's like looking at art - which is fine because art has museums. But in this particular instance, the utility of a grocery store far outweighs some strange touchy-feely notion of "heritage" (which to non-European immigrants is very strange notion in the first place as it speaks to a time when the west was less evolved anyway).

Back