Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

Actually, I hope they keep the height low at least on the Breadalbane side next to the YMCA. Although facing Wellesley it would make more sense to increate the height.

Now that I think about it, just make a street wall on Wellesley with one tall tower, and open up a Pedestrian path through the middle to continue the route all the people who walk up and down St. Nicholas Streeet. Then open up the Breadalbane side for some park land.

Wishful thinking though. I'm sure we're going to get something completely bland, boring and out of place with the absolute worst retail. Think about it, imagine the cafes that could be here.

Yes, European scale indeed. European cities manage to support massive subway systems without a lot of highrises. 10 storeys isn't a waste at all.

Here's a thought: if Toronto had anything more than a barebones subway system maybe we wouldn't have the idea that we need skyscrapers around every station.

Actually, I hope they keep the height low at least on the Breadalbane side next to the YMCA. Although facing Wellesley it would make more sense to increase the height.

Now that I think about it, just make a street wall on Wellesley with one tall tower, and open up a Pedestrian path through the middle to continue the route all the people who walk up and down St. Nicholas Streeet. Then open up the Breadalbane side for some park land.

Wishful thinking though. I'm sure we're going to get something completely bland, boring and out of place with the absolute worst retail. Think about it, imagine the cafes that could be here.

Agreed, and that's a good (yes, wishful) point about continuing the St. Nicholas Street route down through the property to the park next to the YMCA - perhaps not unlike the walkway that exists between the towns at The Met. Along Breadalbane would be perfect for low-rise lofts or town homes along that street and two point towers along Wellesley with retail at grade to serve this growing residential area.

11 Wellesley W. Property

To give an idea of the size of these lots, below are photos of the property from the south side at Breadalbane St., from the north on Wellesley St. and Google Maps outlined in red.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

wow ... looks like the abandoned lands east of Bay Club + Allegro are moving forward again! That's a good sign that the Opera Place development will finally be completed in the near future ~ :D

11 Wellesley St. W. (Morguard, 10 + 9s)

APARTMENT BUILDINGS, RETAIL, OFFICE
Proj: 1251884-18
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS
The Opera Place, Phases 5 & 6, West Block, Bay St between Breadalbane and Grosvenor Sts, M5S
$30,000,000 est

Start: July, 2010

Complete: July, 2012

Note: Site plan and conceptual design have been completed by the Architect. Owner is seeking Municipal site plan and zoning approvals. Owner anticipates approvals will be finalized early 2010. Schedules for Working drawings, tender for Gen Cont and construction are undetermined pending approvals. Further update Spring, 2010.

Project: Phase five: nine storey, 19,000 m2 bldg, 170 units; Phase six: 10 storey, 11,000 m2 bldg, 120 units; with ground floor retail/commerical in each.

Scope: 30,000 m²; 10 storeys; 2 structures; 290 units

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs; Commercial offices; Retail, wholesale services

First report Thu Aug 24, 2000. Last report Mon Jun 01, 2009.
This report Mon Sep 21, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=364ad63e5860f16ce31ffc7738ad34d3d5e3044f&projectid=1251884&region=ontario

Any updates on this project? Supposed to begin next month, but the lot is still looking the same as it has for years.

This is a missed opportunity. 10 floors tall?????? One of the few undeveloped open spaces downtown.

This site could easily hold Canada's first 100 floor condo.... Go big or go home.

:D

I would "guess" this one is stalled because I thought this lot was mentioned (in the city dev docs) as a primary candidate for parking when Women's College Hospital begins construction this fall?

Hi, I have a possibly silly question to ask all of you: While the general volume of development the greater downtown area of Toronto is seeing is impressive, I'm concerned about the quality, scale and even height of the developments that are completed, under construction, and proposed. In my eyes, the quality is not always where it should be, the scale often fails to take into account the context of the development's surroundings, including lack of retail at the base (which I really dislike), and the height also is something I don't fully get (in that many proposals are quite short for the location they're being built in or proposed for).

When it comes to height, I understand the supply-demand, cost of project, etc., but with the heights of development that I'm seeing for the Yonge-Eglinton, North Yonge corridor, Etobicoke, other areas of 416, and even Mississauga, I'm not impressed with the continued proposals for 20-45 stories in the core....why not higher? As an example, Menkes developers have proposed several 40+ story condo towers in the 416 outside of the core (near the 401), however, their developments in downtown are small (19 storey Pears condo and 32 storey Lumiere condo)...

Just expressing my thoughts; what do you all think? (I wish the core had more exciting and tall proposals like the Absolute Towers in Missi...it seems the core is in competition with the rest of the GTA in not just office space development but also high-rise condo developments too.... :(

Is there a way people like us, "urban enthusiasts", can contact anyone with the City of Toronto's development application board/committee to express our concerns about the developments? I think we should be able to voice our opinions on what we think as these developers are significantly changing the feel of the city (and not always for the better)! The only thing I can think of right now are the meetings that are held for the community when a new proposal comes through in that community (like that 25 storey Church St. condo). I don't live in Toronto right now, though! :(

Sorry for the long post and if it comes across as me being naive and silly, well so be it.....I had to bring this up. :)

Interesting you mention scale and yet bring up Pears on the Avenue as being too short. Exactly how much taller would you prefer? Personally, I'm not impressed by the sheer volume of anonymous mega tower complexes that are gracing the downtown. It makes a great skyline but I'm not convinced these urban resorts are that urban. I'm not anti-height by any means either. I just don't think a 50 storey building with 15 units per floor makes a great community. This comes from experience.

I don't fully understand the lack of retail arguement either. I find that there's an over abundance of retail being built and proposed. Maybe not on Charles East, for example, but, it's probably better off without it.

What is this obssesion with these tall towers?

I prefer the shorter boutique type buildings. Something about living in a building with 400 people and not even knowing any of them on a first name basis.

^True. When I lived with my x gf in her house I knew all the neighbours on the street by name, and often stopped to chat, hang out in their backyards, have parties together etc. Living in a highrise, otoh, I don't even know my neighbours, other than a few folks willing to talk in English. Even my lowrise apartment in Waterloo had a friendlier atmosphere.

High rise living sucks! (About once a day you look out the window at the view. Boring.)

Saying hello in the lobby or mail room doesn't count!

What is this obssesion with these tall towers?

I prefer the shorter boutique type buildings. Something about living in a building with 400 people and not even knowing any of them on a first name basis.

SPS - Small Penis Syndrome. Same thing with a guy with a flashy car. Some of the people here are out there (check your Aussie slang book). Personally, from where I live X looks just like another TD bank tower, snooze...

I do agree that it shouldn't only be about tall buildings, for sure, however, in certain areas like the downtown core, having really tall buildings, in my eyes, is attractive - so big-cityish....i personally wished the core (bloor and south) was more defined...i wish the entire core was as dense as the financial district - north of queen, the skyline really drops off. so i guess it is more about the look of the skyline more so than anything and there are enough people in the GTA who don't mind living in really tall buildings...i'm all for mid-sized buildings (like Pears), i just wish we had more 50+ proposals...what really got me thinking about this were two proposals right off of Yonge Street where there is direct subway access and it's right in the heart of downtown - the Opera Places, phases 5 & 6, and the hotel-residential component of the Bay Adelaide Centre (Phase II). The 9 & 10 storey idea for the Opera Place is great but this should be the PODIUM for two or more skyscrapers rather than just be 9 & 10 storey buildings! Imagine two talls on a 9 & 10 storey podium on this site! As for Bay Adelaide II, in a location like that, why only have a 35 storey tower...it's within the financial district, for god's sake, it should be at least 50+ storeys (if it's very difficult for us to get 50+ office towers, at least let's build residential towers since there's enough demand)...there's nothing wrong with the idea of many super-talls in an area like that ....... for people who don't like the idea of living in a high-rise, there are plenty of other options elsewhere. :) Just sharing my thoughts. :) Peace.

I guess you can't satisfy everyone. We were happy for 30+ storeys back when joined urbantoronto. Sure the world has seen an explosion in height since however, most places would be very happy to see a 20 storey tower get off the ground in the current economic climate. There are seven 200+ metres towers under construction right now in the downtown. Also, The lot coverage of many developments is on the extremely high side making for a very dense urban experience regardless if they only manage 100 metres in height.

Bay Adelaide Centre as well as the financial core fall under Nathan Phillps Square shadowing policy. I'm sure many will disagree however, I think limiting additonal shadowing on are greatest (embarassingly neglected) civic attribute is well worth the trade off of slightly shorter heights. Our compact financial core is still one of the densest areas in North America. It has massive wind tunnels and few areas where direct sunlight penetrates. It is surprisingly small in area which allowing additional height wouldn't resolve.

We have been and continue to be spoiled and I get the feeling many that don't remember the mid-90s appreciate it.

Last edited:

Back