FF9421FB-239B-4ACB-B26B-068F342C90EA.jpeg
06447CF5-3CF6-4577-9115-E2F43826F9B1.jpeg
8D618F82-5662-47DE-AF0D-93FBA030BC23.jpeg
87303F8C-1E72-41B0-9118-8C014B7CC049.jpeg
6775A0FB-2AD6-4F1B-9A59-626C66509F8B.jpeg
ADA1A7DF-D2E2-40A1-9897-561FA558D98A.jpeg
B946AFC0-C1AE-4392-B85B-4C2F558F7AEA.jpeg
41CD26AA-096E-4793-B693-47A1C08EA3F7.jpeg

Ah, more developer 'art'. I suspect we'll end up with Developer Art tours but the point won't be to admire its quality. It will become one of those kitschy pre-occupations on the lines of Big Nickel (Sudbury), that giant USS Enterprise (Vulcan, Alberta), and giant Walleye (Kenora, Ontario). It will be commentary on the culture of the masses.

Lets weld some metal together and paint an odd colour. Presto!

Last edited:
This has probably come up earlier in the thread, but for anyone curious these pieces by Métis artist Kenneth Lavallee (http://cargocollective.com/knnth) are in honour of Dr. Lillian McGregor of the Whitefish River First Nation. The crane represents her family clan sign, other elements are meant to evoke her home of Birch Island in northern Ontario. A fine, regrettably rare example of indigenous place-making in a prominent downtown location.

The indigenous significance doesn't mean anyone should feel compelled to find the art aesthetically pleasing. That should go without saying, personally my mind's not made up. But if all you see is a developer throwing up some kitschy painted metal for the masses, well that is simply a cynical, ignorant take.

Ah, more developer 'art'. I suspect we'll end up with Developer Art tours but the point won't be to admire its quality. It will become one of those kitschy pre-occupations on the lines of Big Nickel (Sudbury), that giant USS Enterprise (Vulcan, Alberta), and giant Walleye (Kenora, Ontario). It will be commentary on the culture of the masses.

Lets weld some metal together and paint an odd colour. Presto!
So you are saying you don't like it then...

Today. Trees and shrubs being planted on the Wellesley side.

View attachment 344116

While we all want this done and the park open, I would have preferred they wait a few more weeks before planting.

With a good watering program, the plants stand a reasonable shot, if they've been planted properly.

But their odds would have been much improved by being put in 4 weeks from now.

This has probably come up earlier in the thread, but for anyone curious these pieces by Métis artist Kenneth Lavallee (http://cargocollective.com/knnth) are in honour of Dr. Lillian McGregor of the Whitefish River First Nation. The crane represents her family clan sign, other elements are meant to evoke her home of Birch Island in northern Ontario. A fine, regrettably rare example of indigenous place-making in a prominent downtown location.

The indigenous significance doesn't mean anyone should feel compelled to find the art aesthetically pleasing. That should go without saying, personally my mind's not made up. But if all you see is a developer throwing up some kitschy painted metal for the masses, well that is simply a cynical, ignorant take.
Without context, it is just some kitschy painted metal at first glance. It's too bad the artist didn't use indigenous materials to the metis.

It is interesting to realize the origins of the concept for the art. Along with most of us here there has to be something inspirational to bring about our creativity.

Without context, it is just some kitschy painted metal at first glance. It's too bad the artist didn't use indigenous materials to the metis.
I'm unsure what is meant by " indigenous materials to the metis ". I'm not trying to be contentious, just trying to understand context.

Remember we are looking at a partially built park. There's nothing to say there may not be some sort of plaque explaining the context of the public art in the finished product.

Back