Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

The pebbles and the boardwalk, and lifting the structure up on those two metal supports are a nice touch. I expect Clewes will win a design award for his sales centre.

Pier 27 Presentation Gallery

Have you been to the new Sales Office? Here's CH's take on it:

Jun 27, 2008 04:30 AM Christopher Hume

With a showroom like this, who cares about the condo?

Long before Pier 27, the new residential complex at the foot of Yonge St., is even a hole in the ground, people are fantasizing about moving to the site.

The object of their lust is a sales centre â€" in this case, a marvellous glass box held up by steel beams. It sits on the south side of Queens Quay just east of Yonge. Surrounded by waterside parking lots, the showroom has been months and millions of dollars in the making. Though there's little doubt Pier 27 would have sold out anyway, this lovely pavilion has been erected.

Clearly, it serves some imperative other than that of straightforward marketing. The units could have been bought in a wooden hut for all the difference it makes, but in Toronto, the meaning of the sales centre goes beyond sales.

In its own way, the showroom has become a declaration of intent; it is a sign of what lies ahead. It sets the tone, announces the developer's seriousness and good taste, or, for that matter, bad taste.

Real estate analyst Barry Lyon calls the sales centre a "confidence builder."

If we can build this, it says, we can certainly build a condo you'd want to live in. Maybe, maybe not, but in the meantime some of the most engaging architectural projects in Toronto are these showrooms. Though one can't help but feel they bear little relationship to what finally appears, they're a bigger part of the process than ever.

Everyone knows you don't judge a condo by its showroom, but who cares? Does anyone remember the condo for which Will Alsop designed the showroom across from the Drake Hotel on Queen West? That's the multicoloured structure with a big glass front and the kidney-shaped windows.

It will eventually become an art gallery, which seems entirely appropriate.

On Queens Quay, there are no plans to retain the centre, though it's probably at least as interesting as whatever will replace it.

Unlike most such structures, this one suggests possibilities that some people might otherwise find hard to imagine. Above all, it offers a glimpse into what this area might feel like domesticated. The height and general mediocrity of development on Queens Quay west of Yonge has made people cynical about the neighbourhood. In Toronto, waterfront revitalization is on its way to becoming an oxymoron.

And indeed, the sales pavilion occupies land that the city almost managed to buy a few years ago but failed. Civic and federal politicians lost their nerve at the last minute and what could â€" and should â€" have been a major addition to the public realm ended up as private property. This was a huge loss to the waterfront and the city, but hardly surprising given the quality of leadership.

Expectations have been slimmed down accordingly, and thus it is that the only surprise so far on the waterfront has been the appearance of the sales centre. It seemed to come out of nowhere and create a sense of somewhere. If nothing else, it reminds city watchers of how small things can have big effects. It also hints at how Queens Quay could be transformed by the addition of trees and landscaping. This is supposed to happen under the Central Waterfront Plan, but that awaits realization.

Until then, the showroom will remain one of the most engaging projects on the lakeshore. If the Corus building down the road were half as compelling, we'd be off to an exciting start. But it isn't, and we're not.

Christopher Hume can be reached at
chume@thestar.ca

Wonder if they would let me buy the sales center when they are done with it for a great house. Why let it go to waste.

And indeed, the sales pavilion occupies land that the city almost managed to buy a few years ago but failed. Civic and federal politicians lost their nerve at the last minute and what could â€" and should â€" have been a major addition to the public realm ended up as private property. This was a huge loss to the waterfront and the city, but hardly surprising given the quality of leadership.

So the city almost managed to buy the land where this development is going - but then failed to do so. Let's hope that Hume eventually remembers that TEDCO (belonging to the city) managed to pull of the Corus development that he slags in the article.

anyone interested in stopping this thing?

Anyone want to try to stop this thing? I'm not a lawyer but I imagine there must be some legal avenue for an injunction: protection of public interest etc. Perhaps it's a fantasy, but I'm willing to explore this: anyone else?

Anyone want to try to stop this thing? I'm not a lawyer but I imagine there must be some legal avenue for an injunction: protection of public interest etc. Perhaps it's a fantasy, but I'm willing to explore this: anyone else?

You've got my support... This is more than just another lot... It has played a major role in the city's history and to some extent, Ontario... It was, just until 10 years ago recognized by Guiness as the worlds longest street... Just over 4 Yonge streets stitched end to end would cover the entire US/Canada border.

Thank the Lord the city of Toronto didn't get its hands on the lands at the foot of Yonge! It would have pained me to see another piece of prime waterfront real easte continue to sit vacant for decades.

To date, this city and its agencies (TEDCO) have managed a horrible track record of developing, nevermind redeveloping the land it presently owns.

I can think of two other large parcels of prime waterfront sites that have long sat underulitized and today continue to major eyesores:

1. The massive parking lot on the north side of Queen's Quay and east of York Street, right where the city is "thinking" about studying a proposal to tearing down a useless Gardiner off ramp. A no brainer that was first proposed a good 15 years ago, and from the sounds of it will take another 10 years to study and actually tear down.

2. The parking lot north of Queen's Quay, directly north HTO Park and south of the Rogers Centre - Skydome. I have confirmed that the city of Toronto has not turned over this land formally to Waterfront Toronto and has no plans or money to do anything with it anytime soon.

Sure, the city talks a good game about building new public spaces and blah blah blah. Yet good luck that happening within our lifetime. How long did it take them to get HTO Park off the ground? 30 years?

Ideally, the city of Toronto should have had a strong planning department, along with inspired political leadership in helping guide this development to contribute greatly to the greater public realm. Sadly this wasn't the case at the time, (the city has finally begun to make some minor, yet important steps recently).

Frankly we were lucky that this developer is going with a bold architectural designed to act as an icon gateway along the waterfront. Thankfully the city does require the building a public promanade around the edges of the site, which will nicely connect with the 1.3-acre piece of property at the foot of Yonge Street owned by Waterfront Toronto.

I also understand that the under section 37, the developer will spend over $1.1 million over the course of the project on new public art projects to animate those public spaces.

Simply put, I am strongly opposed to the city buying prime real estate sites that will sit empty for years with no clear project plan or funding, while I would be pleased to see more good city-building private developments guided by strong city leadership.

Louroz

You've got my support... This is more than just another lot... It has played a major role in the city's history and to some extent, Ontario... It was, just until 10 years ago recognized by Guiness as the worlds longest street... Just over 4 Yonge streets stitched end to end would cover the entire US/Canada border.

Interesting if Guinness no longer observes that "Yonge longest street" superlative; after all, it was always cornball hype based upon Hwy 11, a lot of which has been ironically downloaded, anyway.

Yonge St dead-ends at a swamp N of Holland Landing. Get over it.

Louroz:

Actually, you do realize that the acquisition at the Foot of Yonge was done in partnership with Waterfrontoronto, and that the latter are responsible for its' development?

In fact, Tedco has been reported to be no longer responsible for waterfront developments.

AoD

Back