Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

yup, mostly security reasons - though there is some truth to what DSC says and I think that actually came up once or twice - there's the perception that if you can "see" something, it's perceived louder than it actually is. But for the most part it's security-related.

I remember reading something way back about the smell if the wind is blowing east and the product carrying in the air that would do building damage over time, could that also be part of the reason for the wall?

I remember reading something way back about the smell if the wind is blowing east and the product carrying in the air that would do building damage over time, could that also be part of the reason for the wall?

Because this project is situated next door to a sugar refinery there will always be a risk (however small) of an "industrial dust" explosion therefore it appears that the wall facing Redpaths has been designed with blast protection in mind (very little glazing - just port-hole windows).

Of course the chances of an explosion are extremely remote but if it ever happened the results would be catastrophic.

IMG_1070.JPG

Picture credit: http://www.csb.gov/ Imperial Sugar Refinery explosion

Last edited:
Because this project is situated next door to a sugar refinery there will always be a risk (however small) of an "industrial dust" explosion...

... which suggests just why the plant should have been moved in the first place (in a perfect world). Prevailing urban dogma notwithstanding there is a reason why industrial and residential uses are traditionally not mixed.

Because this project is situated next door to a sugar refinery there will always be a risk (however small) of an "industrial dust" explosion therefore it appears that the wall facing Redpaths has been designed with blast protection in mind (very little glazing - just port-hole windows).

Of course the chances of an explosion are extremely remote but if it ever happened the results would be catastrophic.

IMG_1070.JPG

Picture credit: http://www.csb.gov/ Imperial Sugar Refinery explosion

I really wish they would just get rid of Redpath. The BS people keep mentioning about employment is so over exaggerated. The whole factory doesn't even employ as many people as a regular 2 storey office building -.-

... which suggests just why the plant should have been moved in the first place (in a perfect world). Prevailing urban dogma notwithstanding there is a reason why industrial and residential uses are traditionally not mixed.

that sounds pretty ridiculous when Redpath has been there for the last 60 years. People should just not buy here if they are afraid of an explosion.

I really wish they would just get rid of Redpath. The BS people keep mentioning about employment is so over exaggerated. The whole factory doesn't even employ as many people as a regular 2 storey office building -.-

I went to the Port Lands consultation meetings, and the GM of Economic Development and Culture for the City said that Toronto has the second largest food processing industry in North America, and that the sugar provide by Redpath is critical to that industry. Thus, while direct employment might be low, the indirect employment that Redpath produces is likely high. I think this also means that until a replacement site with port access is found, Redpath probably isn't moving.

Will a public board walk along the water be built as part of this project ?

Secondly, the green space in the rendering above is for the next phase correct ? The larger buildings. Are those in sales yet ?

Yes there is a public boardwalk.

I don't think the next phases are in sales but could be wrong.

Back