Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

Because they want to be like themselves. I say let 'em.

To a degree, but the big cities are always generating exportable ideas that could enhance these places. I want to see smaller cities and towns build up their downtowns with a focus on the pedestrian and cycling conditions, have more environmentally-friendly new construction, polished new public squares, curb garbage, use higher-order transit like light rail, and boast modern architecture. Why should smaller cities and towns feel so boring and repetitive? If Toronto changes towards density and sophistication of the great metropolitan cities of the world, why shouldn't some places grow into the finest small towns, like those found in many European countries?

Toronto should exercise a greater metropolitan pull on smaller cities in the region to build more of a sense of solidarity rather than ambiguity. Common ambitions and urban goals are better than petty posturing and regionalism.

Yah yah yah. Enough of Yonge St. or as my idiot brother inlaw from San Diego likes to call it when graces me with his visits ' Yawngee Street'. You want to talk about 'worlds longest records' , I go could on and tell you about the end result of (ugh)dinner at a horrible local Mexican restaurant on Wellington St.east, my idiot brother in law picked up the tab for. (whoopee). Let's just say I'm feeling too flushed to talk about it, and we will leave at that.
Now what about this phase 3 business. Anybody got details on this?

Wouldn't that be the result if all of them named their main street "Yonge"?

No, that wouldn't have much to do with their varied infrastructure and streetscapes. It would just be a common thread with the metropolitan centre, a connection in spirit and not necessarily in placemaking. In terms of Yonge, it would only apply to the actual road today. Beyond that, it would be expected that more small towns develop urban streets beyond the single main street that many have today. They would come up with their own names too for streets and for new urban spaces like squares.

Right now, any development in towns and small cities tends to happen in peripheral subdivisions, yet there are so many opportunities for greater urbanization and sophisticated placemaking in smaller cities and towns. Even forgetting the whole philosophical issue of main street naming, a closer relationship between metropolitan centre and smaller city and town could have positive implications in terms of built forms and politics. Naturally, the more urbanized would lead the less on this issue. I'd like to see more small cities like in Europe, with high density, several active streets, with sophisticated architecture and infrastructure.

No, that wouldn't have much to do with their varied infrastructure and streetscapes. It would just be a common thread with the metropolitan centre, a connection in spirit and not necessarily in placemaking. In terms of Yonge, it would only apply to the actual road today. Beyond that, it would be expected that more small towns develop urban streets beyond the single main street that many have today. They would come up with their own names too for streets and for new urban spaces like squares.

Right now, any development in towns and small cities tends to happen in peripheral subdivisions, yet there are so many opportunities for greater urbanization and sophisticated placemaking in smaller cities and towns. Even forgetting the whole philosophical issue of main street naming, a closer relationship between metropolitan centre and smaller city and town could have positive implications in terms of built forms and politics. Naturally, the more urbanized would lead the less on this issue. I'd like to see more small cities like in Europe, with high density, several active streets, with sophisticated architecture and infrastructure.

I know we're getting away from the thread's topic, but I completely agree with you. I really wish that small towns in Ontario would concentrate on developing their town centers rather than building subdivisions and outlet malls along the nearest highway. Even with employment concentrated in Toronto, I've often thought that small town centres outside the GTA could offer a good alternative for people who want to live in historic, walkable neighbourhoods but can't afford the options in Toronto. Of course, making this a reality would require expanding GO service.

If they were managed better, towns like Brantford could have town centres that resemble Bloor West Village or Leslieville. Instead they've let their centre rot and modeled themselves on Scarborough.

What an impact this project is going to have.

pier27.jpg

I really hope the LCBO warehouse / head office is protected, in terms of heritage that is, not from Pier 27 which is a great project.

Last edited:
Sept 03
If I haven't visited the HMCS Montreal that was dock in front of this project, I would had not shot this project at all, since I am not in the area these days.

I was able to get some shots from the bridge as well at ground level next to it since the area was open for navel personnel.
6113486450_f1631d1d1b_b.jpg

6112961581_5c646b4f20_b.jpg

6113807700_cfeb09260e_b.jpg

6113255875_a1e3b0c92c_b.jpg

6113801902_b461785ce9_b.jpg

6113795864_bb5bd801ee_b.jpg

6113792046_e5782b2ba0_b.jpg

That's one sexy ship!

Any ideas as to what's going to happen w/ Redpath Sugar?
Will it be another plant that Hamilton tries to poach off Toronto (a-la Euro Breads)?

Redpath needs to stay as well a few other ones, as these are employment business that can be part of the waterfront redevelopment.

Tried of hearing we need to get rid of this or that because of these new condos and people who think the waterfront is for there own use.

I firmly believe that there should be no development should be within 500-1,000 feet of the water edge, as this should be public domain land that allows people to see the waterfront while driving, cycling or walking along the Queens Quay. The only building that should be there are from the past.

All development should be on the north side of Queens Quay or a road and they should slope to the north in height.

People for years have bitch about the Gardiner blocking the the view of the waterfront, when it was the poor design building doing it in the first place.

Back