Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

I am interested in how the Waterfront Promenade will connect to Sugar Beach around the Redpath site. Can't seem to find any reference to it, in any of Waterfront Toronto's doucuments. Anyone know?

As Redpath need to keep using their wharf/slipto bring in raw sugar (now used even more since they agreed to stop using the rail spur) the link will be alongthe south side of Queen's Quay

from today
20110225036.jpg

20110225035.jpg

Who owns the land to the west of Pier 27? (Toronto Star?) and are there any plans for it? As the area develops this is, I think, the last piece of undeveloped (or un-planned) lakeshore land between Bathurst and Parliament.

Who owns the land to the west of Pier 27? (Toronto Star?) and are there any plans for it? As the area develops this is, I think, the last piece of undeveloped (or un-planned) lakeshore land between Bathurst and Parliament.
One of the levels of government does. From the renderings of Pier 27 it will be a wide strip of park/boardwalk.

Wow. Redpath REALLY needs to go. It would be a shame to have that huge industrial building stay with the redevelopment on either side.

There was a lengthy discussion of this either higher up this thread or elsewhere on UT. The general consensus was that it should not move because it provides employment to many people who live in the area and is part of the "heritage' of the area. I am sure it will go eventually but it was there first!

Redpath Sugar Museum

Museum Visiting Hours

Sweet Ideas
A truly unique Toronto attraction, the Redpath Sugar Museum is one of only three of its kind in the world. It was established in 1979 to commemorate the 125th anniversary of a Canadian sugar refining operation now known as Tate & Lyle. Topics covered by the exhibits include the socio-economic history of sugar production and refining, in addition to the history of the Redpath family and their contributions to keeping Canada sweet. The building was officially opened in 1959 by Queen Elizabeth, and has been operating around the clock ever since, as cargoes of raw sugar arrive here daily from around the world for refinement.

Sugar Town
The displays at the Redpath Sugar Museum cover the production of sugar through photosynthesis and the origins of cane sugar and processing methods. Also covered is the social history of sugar, details on sugar and nutrition and models of transportation that brings sugar to this refinery. Examples of sugar artistry are also on display. The museum can be visited during its regular hours for self-guided tours, with advance notice recommended, or groups of 10 or more can arrange for a guided tour with the curator. Schools can also take advantage of a free 90-minute program that incorporates slides and displays.

Wow. Redpath REALLY needs to go. It would be a shame to have that huge industrial building stay with the redevelopment on either side.

Brave statement ahmad, given the ardent conservationists on UT... I would also love to see this go, although I really can see their side of the coin as well. What really bothers me about Redpath is not the visual (although it does), it's the sickly sweet stench that wafts from it, which can be really strong on some days.

The Silos surrounding lands at Bathurst and Queens Quay are zoned for future development.

There was a lengthy discussion of this either higher up this thread or elsewhere on UT. The general consensus was that it should not move because it provides employment to many people who live in the area and is part of the "heritage' of the area. I am sure it will go eventually but it was there first!

I understand that it provides employment to residents, but so would future retail/office development more suitable for the area. I think that the government/private developers should make incentives for Redpath to build a new refinery somewhere more appropriate.

Brave statement ahmad, given the ardent conservationists on UT... I would also love to see this go, although I really can see their side of the coin as well. What really bothers me about Redpath is not the visual (although it does), it's the sickly sweet stench that wafts from it, which can be really strong on some days.

Absolutely. The smell and hideous visual aspect of the refinery are not suitable for this area at all, and it saddens me how anti-progress some of this forum's members are. What I don't understand is how the city of Toronto can be so picky on the placement of new development while leaving a completely blind eye to the outdated and out of place areas that are really detrimental to the city's image. I suppose they can't be fully blamed though, as some residents would classify a junkyard as a "heritage site" and oppose its removal/relocation.

Back