Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

Is there going to be a new thread for the Pier 27 Tower launching soon or will posts be just carried on here?
We are hemming and hawing about that at the moment. We'll make a decision soon.

My two cents is to make a new thread and separate the 'Tower' from the 'Waterlink' projects. This whole complex has been in the works for what seems like forever, with still another 8 to 10 years until full build-out.

Wasn't Waterlink proposed almost 10 years ago? While the rest of the buildings are approved, sales here are slower than the norm because of the ppsf of being on the water (and also not being built by Tridel or Daniels that have deep pockets and tons of contacts and connections to get sales and construction sped up).

I'm thinking more of the speed of Monde here, which was launched in fall of 2011 and they are currently scraping some top soil.

We can make a bet though :) lol. You say 4-5 years and I say 8-10, so it may end up being 6 or 7 for full build-out haha. Waterlink was super pricey so I'm expecting the same for the Tower (having great views) and the next two buildings (even though they are not on water but will be the final phases).

Throw in 1 Yonge St and the other projects at East Bayfront and there will be a ton of competition for sales.

Wasn't Waterlink proposed almost 10 years ago? While the rest of the buildings are approved, sales here are slower than the norm because of the ppsf of being on the water (and also not being built by Tridel or Daniels that have deep pockets and tons of contacts and connections to get sales and construction sped up).

I'm thinking more of the speed of Monde here, which was launched in fall of 2011 and they are currently scraping some top soil.

We can make a bet though :) lol. You say 4-5 years and I say 8-10, so it may end up being 6 or 7 for full build-out haha. Waterlink was super pricey so I'm expecting the same for the Tower (having great views) and the next two buildings (even though they are not on water but will be the final phases).

Throw in 1 Yonge St and the other projects at East Bayfront and there will be a ton of competition for sales.
Yeah youre probaby right, no bet:D

We're all better off when we can go out for a good meal or drink in the winter. Why not do that along the picturesque waterfront? It gets a little windy in winter. But you step off the streetcar or out of your vehicle in your wool coal, and you're in a good restaurant overlooking the scenic waterfront in a minute. It takes good planning to ensure we build buildings and public spaces that can be vibrant 12 months a year. But the end result is a better city for its residents.
To add to that, the Amsterdam Brewhouse is particularly cozy in the winter, and enjoying a dark pint with some higher quality pub food while overlooking the frozen harbour is extremely relaxing.

My two cents is to make a new thread and separate the 'Tower' from the 'Waterlink' projects. This whole complex has been in the works for what seems like forever, with still another 8 to 10 years until full build-out.

Might proceed faster now since there is much less uncertainty about the viability of the eastern waterfront since it's hitting critical mass.

The grass boulevards make this feel very suburban, and grass just never looks good anyway. There's got to be a better idea for this scenario!

The grass boulevards make this feel very suburban, and grass just never looks good anyway. There's got to be a better idea for this scenario!

Easy - apply the East Bayfront streetscaping/landscaping standards for interior streets, which would mean concrete Paleotech pavers at a minimum.

AoD

yep... and at a push I could even see native grasses added into the mix. Pretty all year and then just whack them down in the early spring for a new growing season. Would save on water too.

yep... and at a push I could even see native grasses added into the mix. Pretty all year and then just whack them down in the early spring for a new growing season. Would save on water too.

Or sedum for ground cover - looks great with variety of colours and drought tolerant.

AoD

I was there yesterday and I was disappointed to find that the idea that these towers are open to the waterfront rather than an obstruction, permeable to public use of the water's edge, isn't true in person. While at a large scale, the towers and the bridges convey a sense of welcoming to the waterfront, the ground level walkways exclusive to residents defeats that concept.

This comes across as Waterfront Toronto requiring that openess but when it got to the city approving its construction, somebody missed the point entirely and allowed for these walkways to obstruct open access. Along with the giant wall on its eastern edge, it's clear that this segment of the waterfront is going to be private and that's a terrible shame. Knowing this now, I would be completely opposed to any residential use south of Queens Quay. It should have been all institutional with open access for all. There is plenty of land available north of Queens Quay for condos.

The decision re: one or two threads has been made, and the Tower at Pier 27 has got its own thread. You'll find the posts about it here.

Back