Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

Taking the ferry to Wards Island yesterday it made it even clearer the need for a bold and stunning design for this site.

Toronto's classic island view skyline is all but gone, starting with the Royal York being covered by Southcore earlier in this decade. Right now it's just a wall of bland glass condos. In the foreground, we have nothing to be proud of either.

Whatever is built along the waterfront will be the final frontier on our city's post card identity for the next 100+ years unless we add more lake infill which is unlikely.

We have to get this right.

Agreed! Unfortunately, whatever bold and stunning architecture is eventually created here will have to somehow contend with that Corus box. It's a nice box, just in a less-than ideal place (suburbia would have been more appropriate).

But obstacles sometimes bring out creative opportunities, so let's see what creative proposals are iterated through this process. Hopefully, someone can think of a way to capitalize on Corus' dominating glass box and delight the people who have to live, work and play around those structures with something thought-provoking. How about a structure that actually changes colors and patterns? Or one with curves that is amplified by Corus' rigid structure?

For an example of a stunning waterside statement, check out B.I.G.'s new condo/apt on NYC's Hudson River: https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/midtown-west/via-57-west-625-west-57th-street/57292

A sterling pyramid in a sea of glass boxes and spires...

Agreed! Unfortunately, whatever bold and stunning architecture is eventually created here will have to somehow contend with that Corus box. It's a nice box, just in a less-than ideal place (suburbia would have been more appropriate).

But obstacles sometimes bring out creative opportunities, so let's see what creative proposals are iterated through this process. Hopefully, someone can think of a way to capitalize on Corus' dominating glass box and delight the people who have to live, work and play around those structures with something thought-provoking. How about a structure that actually changes colors and patterns? Or one with curves that is amplified by Corus' rigid structure?

For an example of a stunning waterside statement, check out B.I.G.'s new condo/apt on NYC's Hudson River: https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/midtown-west/via-57-west-625-west-57th-street/57292

A sterling pyramid in a sea of glass boxes and spires...

I wouldn't mind a BIG pyramid - but the site in question probably isn't conducive to that. The section of the site at the tip of Sugar Beach begs for an iconic treatment and the bulk of the frontage of Queens Quay requires some texture - a sheer glass wall is just lazy.

AoD

Last edited:
The original massing studies looked quite interesting as they were. Sweeny & co are clearly capable of better. You would think you would want to put your best foot forward here.

Honestly I would love love love to see a Renzo Piano building on this site. I know we are not going to get it but....

AoD

The original massing studies looked quite interesting as they were. Sweeny & co are clearly capable of better. You would think you would want to put your best foot forward here.

Given where we are now, I'd have been thrilled if even the massing illustration had wound up as the final design - when your massing illustration is light years more attractive than your actual final proposal, you know you've done something truly wrong.

Might want to up the ante a little - from the Sept 14 WT board meeting - CEO report:

Waterfront Innovation Centre (Blocks 1 & 2)
WT continues to work with Menkes towards a Development Agreement for the project. Menkes will provide a financial offer for both a Ground Lease and fee simple purchase. WT will then prepare recommendations for City Council consideration in early 2017. Menkes continues its marketing efforts to pursue tenants for the Innovation Centre.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/item_4___ceo_report___september_14_2016_1.pdf

AoD

Was anyone able to attend today's board meeting?

Waterfront Innovation Centre (Blocks 1 & 2)

WT continues to work with Menkes towards a Development Agreement for the project. Menkes will provide a financial offer for both a Ground Lease and fee simple purchase. WT will then prepare recommendations for City Council consideration in early 2017. Menkes continues its marketing efforts to pursue tenants for the Innovation Centre.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo...___september_14_2016___copy___full_book_1.pdf

I don't think many of us are board members

The DRP meeting is next Wednesday

Is this potential good news? Maybe the DRP privately called Menkes to say: "Don't even bother bringing that pile of trash to the meeting on Wednesday. Lets reschedule and bring something new".

Back