Toronto W Hotel Toronto | ?m | 9s | Larco | a—A

^ Yup, it's looking increasingly better. The south side between Yonge and Church is quite pleasant to walk along. The north side still needs work where the Bay is. And it would be nice if that parking lot at the south west corner of Church and Bloor would be developed. I wouldn't even mind seeing an office building there. All those office workers keep the area vibrant.

Did the Marriott also only occupy 9 floors in that building?

Yeah the hotel was on the low floors. The majority of the rooms have no views, they overlook the sterile ugly courtyard with a few plants thrown in. I stayed there a few years back, my room didn't get much sun, i had to have the lights on during the day. Also the other hotel guests can see inside your room if you got the curtains open.

toronto-marriott-bloor.jpg

Yeah the hotel was on the low floors. The majority of the rooms have no views, they overlook the sterile ugly courtyard with a few plants thrown in. I stayed there a few years back, my room didn't get much sun, i had to have the lights on during the day. Also the other hotel guests can see inside your room if you got the curtains open.

toronto-marriott-bloor.jpg

That courtyard looks truly pathetic. Say what you want about Sheraton, at least they handled the landscaping well.

AoD

Truly pathetic for a Marriott. The Courtyard (another Marriott brand, not the courtyard pictured above) on Yonge St looks more ‘upscale’. Hope they do a true revamp with the W, not just putting lipstick on a pig and jacking up the room rate by 50% or more, although there’s not much they can do with the exterior if they only occupy the lower floors, let alone with the whole complex.

Oh and the press release...

W Toronto will redefine modern luxury in Toronto, taking inspiration from social, historical and physical insights and embedding elements of each into the rooms and public spaces. Upon entering the hotel, guests will be immersed in a modern biophilia and laboratory style experience, that leads to breath-taking indoor/outdoor spaces, perfect for soaking in spectacular sunsets and sounds.

You must visit our vivisection room on Level 4! Incubate at our latest aerosol treatment negative pressure suite in our microbe spa! Enjoy fine dining at our CRISPR/BSL4 restaurant featuring the latest in Keto, Macro, molecular and GMO cuisine. :rolleyes:

AoD

Last edited:
Other cities are getting this or have:

W-Sydney-Rendering-2-1.jpg

170207_447CollinsStreet_Hotel_cropped.jpg

1258693_v2_y@2x.jpeg

And this is what we get saddled with. I guess you have to adjust to what each city will tolerate..

Some W Hotels are in renovated heritage buildings.

Indeed, the first W was a conversion done in the 90's and certainly didn't have any flash on the outside.

It rebranded earlier this year to "The Maxwell" but the exterior hasn't been touched.

Oh and the press release...

You must visit our vivisection room on Level 4! Incubate at our latest aerosol treatment negative pressure suite in our microbe spa! Enjoy fine dining at our CRISPR/BSL4 restaurant featuring the latest in Keto, Macro, molecular and GMO cuisine. :rolleyes:

AoD
I'm booking my operating theatre now!

The Concourse Building was looked at once upon a time as a potential renovation job for W Hotels, but there were just too many problems with it, problems that kept anyone from pouring money into it to save it. W have looked at a lot of other potential properties here over the years, but nothing else has quite been what they wanted here, for whatever (unpublished) reasons.

Back