Toronto Victory Condos | ?m | 12s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

I hope the residents of QUAD just to the north of this don't manage to derail this like they did with the earlier proposal.

478 King - Neighbour's comment

The current proposal by Blvd. Developments is for a 39-metre high condominium building in this infill space known as 478 (or 480) King West.

I understand that there's been no formal application to the City for consents and variances as yet. But I've spoken with three neighbours who are in the Quad 2 condo immediately north of this property... and they are stinkin mad.

Their concerns seem to be mostly that the proposed building will block views and natural light that they currently enjoy, has a minimal setback from their building (ie, on the north side), and that the design as proposed is of a modern steel-and-glass construction which would detract from the historical nature of the existing nearby structures.

On balance, I think I might also have some concerns.
Kevin

Oh no! A modern steel-and-glass construction? In this day and age? There goes the neighbourhood...

The current proposal by Blvd. Developments is for a 39-metre high condominium building in this infill space known as 478 (or 480) King West.

I understand that there's been no formal application to the City for consents and variances as yet. But I've spoken with three neighbours who are in the Quad 2 condo immediately north of this property.

Their concerns seem to be mostly that the proposed building will block views and natural light that they currently enjoy, has a minimal setback from their building (ie, on the north side), and that the design as proposed is of a modern steel-and-glass construction which would detract from the historical nature of the existing nearby structures.

Kevin

The hypocrisy is simply breathtaking

I always wonder about the people who bought into a building litterally in the middle of a block ... now we know ... morons who thought the street facing underdeveloped properties around them would never be intensified

Considering Quad Lofts are an aesthetic embarrassment (cheap elevator shaft tops) ugly brick details and generally poorly finished, I find the nimbies in the Quad Lofts hilarious hypocrites! You live@King/Spadina: not on a rural route north of Stratford. Besides--a view of some hot neighbours surely is more interesting than a view of salesmen selling Mini's to "hipsters?"

478 King W is much better designed than anything by (pre-Casa) Cresford.

But a compromise will surely be reached--2 stories knocked off and some intense shadow studies later, the thing will be built!

I understand that there's been no formal application to the City for consents and variances as yet. But I've spoken with three neighbours who are in the Quad 2 condo immediately north of this property.

Kevin

Well, this was what Allied Properties wanted to build as a commercial building, so looks like it is really only a height issue as views were always temporary. Of course, it is going to built, one way or the other, regardless of the look or what setback was already approved in the past.

old480kingsi9.jpg

Boy, the steel-and-glass plan is a massive improvement over that fake historicist lump that was planned by Allied.

I understand that there's been no formal application to the City for consents and variances as yet. But I've spoken with three neighbours who are in the Quad 2 condo immediately north of this property... and they are stinkin mad.

Kevin

Interesting post, and welcome to the board.

A number of proposals along this part of King would appear to exceed height restrictions and include no setbacks. If you should come across any new information, please post it. This area is developing quickly and hopefully its chararcter won't become to diluted in the process.

478KingStreetWest2.jpg

There is now a billboard on this site for Victory so I guess that pretty well nails it down.

It's gonna be sad to see Mini Me move away to the next hip spot on Earth: DVP and Eastern? I've always found it hilarious that downtown hipsters drive Mini's while proclaiming to live the "urban" livestyle of King West! I prefer the original Mini--someday I'll have to go south and get a rust-free old one.

Victory--appealing to the grandchildren of the conquered nations of ww2? Oh the irony that is immigration!

When condos are named after Canadian towns--the Golden, the Wroxetor, the Mapleton==i shall be interested.

But, Victory looks okay, will hide the Quadbores, and no doubt i'll never enter the hipster's haven.

Mini dealership is not affected by this development. Victory is going up on the parking lot next to the Mini dealership.

The mini dealership is losing its lot and entrance to the rear of the showroom which means they are leaving. They are building a new 3 or 4 story showroom next to the BMW Toronto dealership.

Back