Toronto Vü Condos | 83.51m | 24s | Aspen Ridge | Hariri Pontarini

IMG_nov-06-09-0181.jpg

So much going on, so darn nuanced and dithery. The precast "masonry", for instance, may be a reasonable facsimile of the 1827 Bank of Upper Canada across the street, but what's accomplished by it? Why break with how the identical two storey red brick bays on the rest of the building are done?

Agreed. It looks quite silly.

When renderings were first released, I wasn't a big fan of this project. It's generally turned out quite well though. The brick works really well. The use of materials on this corner, however, is a head-scratcher.

I don't know how I feel about this building. I saw the model suite a little while back and walked around the building. I feel like there's just too much going on. It's not an eye sore by any means, but it just seems so stark...the hallways are boring, the lobby is meh. Perhaps I'll warm up to it once everything's complete.

Colourful VÜ

I have taken two images ltdan posted on February 7 and 28 on his flickr site (one taken in sunny conditions, the other overcast), overlayed and tonemapped them, and finally added some color to the result - arguably way too much photoshopping. Here is what I got ...

4406993686_8421c22a92_b.jpg

Last edited:
It looks quite silly.

I'm puzzled by the negative comments here. Looking at both shots above I think this building fits in perfectly. I find the "masonry" adds nicely to the visual interest created by the differnet "sections" of the project.

And, BTW, beautiful work Udo. I'm confident workers at Aspen Ridge will be framing it.

Thanks for that photo udo. There's no such thing as "way too much photoshopping" if it's done well.

I like the photo, it shows how well this building fits into the neighbourhood despite its height. The masonry, the glass colour, other small details seem to be drawn from other buildings in the photo.

I know it's not something we usually do, but let's wait until it's finished to give a final judgment on the ground level.

Oh what retro fun that would be ... Africans fighting over boots again, the eye-watering miasma redolent with acrid disinfectant, masked workers emerging from the sorting room with wagons of soiled trousers, raincoats and paperback books, the troughs of 25 cent Givenchy and Versace ties that I used to dive into head first ...

Some of today's photos are a little fuzzy due to the smoggy conditions

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The Primrose and The Grand need to be vaporized out of existence. Thanks for the pic, dt_geek.

Careful, you'll offend the concrete lovers out there. Anyway, they're good monuments to the crap that was being built back then. Personally, I would rather have a few ugly buildings in the landscape to mix things up a bit, even if just to avoid the monotony of shiny glass towers everywhere.

I'd sooner vaporize the Hilton Garden Inn at Jarvis + Dundas--concrete vs EIFS LoPo, no contest..

Back