News   Jul 24, 2024
 86     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 687     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 539     0 

Toronto Urban Sprawl Compared to Other Cities

I don't know, the whole city/suburb divide seems silly to me. More and more people are choosing to work from home and live more 'locally', and this isn't just in old Toronto. Nobody really wants to commute, right?

To which... seems to me the potential for greater density/transit infrastructure development in certain areas of the 905 is greater than some might first think. Hurontario in Mississauga already has huge potential, as do many of the major arteries that connect communities from Hamilton all the way into the city. We're already seeing denser higher rise construction along major suburban thoroughfares (from 'Toronto' style tower/podium condos to 'live/work' style low rise), we just need the transit to connect the region and all of its hubs (not just Toronto).

I personally wouldn't want to work from home all the time and stay home during the day. I like going out and being around other people.

I personally wouldn't want to work from home all the time and stay home during the day. I like going out and being around other people.

Ok? Point is, there are options. You don't have to work downtown Toronto anymore. You don't have to commute. You don't have to stay at home 24/7 either.

Ok? Point is, there are options. You don't have to work downtown Toronto anymore. You don't have to commute. You don't have to stay at home 24/7 either.

I guess it depends on the nature of the work. If you have the freedom to work from anywhere, that's cool. In the tech industry (especially the younger tech culture) they often want teams of people that work together to physically be in the same place, at least most of the time.

I guess it depends on the nature of the work. If you have the freedom to work from anywhere, that's cool. In the tech industry (especially the younger tech culture) they often want teams of people that work together to physically be in the same place, at least most of the time.

Yes, it's probably different from industry to industry... but once upon a time we all schlepped ourselves to work daily. Now i know so many who work from home full time or part time or who have shared communal office/work spaces. Even if not self-employed a lot of companies would rather their workers be productive at home than sitting in traffic and stressed for 3 hours a day. Of course, some companies couldn't give a crap, but then again they're probably not the more desirable places to work for younger sought-after workers.

Point is, there are options. You don't have to work downtown Toronto anymore. You don't have to commute. You don't have to stay at home 24/7 either.

A lot of the suburbs require you to commute just to get a loaf of bread. Sprawl doesn't have a lot of options at all. And there's more to life than going to, and coming back from work.

A lot of the suburbs require you to commute just to get a loaf of bread. Sprawl doesn't have a lot of options at all. And there's more to life than going to, and coming back from work.

Worse is that many destinations are not located in the same place and require a car to jump around. Park in one parking lot (IE fast food restaurant), but if you go next door (doctor's office), the car could get towed away. They force you to move the car.

no they don't. Technically you are supposed to, but nobody will stop you from parking halfway and walking over.. they will have no idea if your car is an actual paying customer or someone over in the plaza next-door.

no they don't. Technically you are supposed to, but nobody will stop you from parking halfway and walking over.. they will have no idea if your car is an actual paying customer or someone over in the plaza next-door.

It happens. That is why I always go into the establishment first, then go next door. Got a parking ticket at one time for using the LCBO parking lot and then going into a next door real estate office. Towing has happened to others that I know.

With these super mailboxes, do people drive to get their mail too?

And it isn't just the driving around to places in the burbs...it's the fact that many places just don't exist in the burbs. What if I feel like browsing for some vintage vinyl? What if I'm interested in something more cultural than the mall has to offer?

And it isn't just the driving around to places in the burbs...it's the fact that many places just don't exist in the burbs. What if I feel like browsing for some vintage vinyl? What if I'm interested in something more cultural than the mall has to offer?

That's not really related to urban form though. Specialty stores and venues draw customers from a very large area. The limited demand for vinyl vintages or high price sex toys or fedoras wouldn't support a store on every corner, so you tend to get a small handful per metro area. There are lots of specialty store in the 'burbs you can't find downtown. George's Trains used to be somewhat urban but moved out to Markham a few years back. The only unicycle shop in Toronto is in a suburban warehouse. Most magic shops are in the 'burbs...

And in more suburban settings you also see lots of different cultural institutions. Think about the Getty Centre in LA. Or even the Science Centre in Toronto. There are lots of amenities you probably don't even view as cultural, like the mandir out at Hwy 427, but are for some people.

Tons of minority communities' religious-cultural centers of gravity are in more or less suburban locations in Toronto.

I get people opposing complete auto-dependence and some of the banal architecture you tend to see in the 'burbs, but we should be careful about painting them as these culture-less backwaters where the only thing to do is "go to the mall."

Last edited:
Suburban malls and strip malls can have interesting retail & really great food. Both correspond to the fact that immigrants are overwhelmingly settling in the suburbs, and they bring a lot of cultural things from their origin country.

For some, the suburbs is exactly what they wanted when they came to Canada: a relatively large house (especially compared to many places where immigrants come from), good schools for their kids, good quality air (a big deal for those from places with polluted air), parks, community centres, a car, and a quiet life. Many don't care about things such as vintage vinyl.

However for people in other situations, like the young & single, or young families who enjoy urban amenities, I'd personally say downtown and the areas around downtown near transit are probably the ideal place for many.

George's Trains used to be somewhat urban but moved out to Markham a few years back. The only unicycle shop in Toronto is in a suburban warehouse. Most magic shops are in the 'burbs..

Like the density comparison, you are cherry picking. I fully understand the attraction to cheaper rent, but let's not kid ourselves about the major difference between what sprawl has to offer and what urban Toronto has to offer. One is responsible for about 99% of what I'm talking about...guess which one?

Tons of minority communities' religious-cultural centers of gravity are in more or less suburban locations in Toronto.

Religious cults are one phenomena that infiltrates any environment. As a person who does not believe in the supernatural, there's nothing positive about it.

Suburban malls and strip malls can have interesting retail & really great food.

Even if that is true, it's hardly a walk down Queen West or Ped Sunday in Kensington, or Yorkville if you like upscale.

Many don't care about things such as vintage vinyl.

And these are the same people who wear their pyjamas to go shopping at Walmart. That's the "Canadian Dream" you are alluding to that the majority of our fabulous immigrants are coming here to experience. If life consists of procreating, feeding and clothing your offspring, and practising some sort of supernatural worship...KILL ME NOW!!!

I think this Neptis Foundation poster puts things into perspective.
metropolitan_20070123.jpg

Attachments

• metropolitan_20070123.jpg
    metropolitan_20070123.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 704

Back