Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Why is everyone jumping up and down to defend this terrible signage? It would be so simple to put YYZ, Pearson or an airport symbol in the sign. Not having it is super dumb and inexcusable.

Toronto is atrocious when it comes to signage. Signs are so small you can't see them, some streets have no signs at all (you just have to know it's so and so street), and Pearson is a continuation in the same vein. A first time visitor would have no idea which way to go. You just have to know to go up the escalator and at the top you just have to know you do a 180 then keep walking for 2 minutes till you realize you're heading in the right direction.

That they've screwed this up too is no shock. Any 10 year old would have the sense to use the airplane symbol. You don't need to be literate or anglophone to know what it means but they can't even get this easy easy thing right. The city needs to hire a firm that specializes in proper signage and overhaul the whole metropolitan area so that visitors and Torontonians get the information they need to navigate the city.

I've never been to a city that comes close to doing such an abysmal job. Isn't Montreal (during Expo 67) the city that gave the world some innovative signage still used the world over? That Toronto is just 600 km away in the same country and gets this wrong is mindboggling. And if it needed saying, using 'YYZ' is a terrible idea. 90% of travellers don't familiarize themselves with airport codes. I bet a lot of people don't even know that airports have codes.

Last edited:
In all fairness, some tourists might get confused and think that the train with the airport logo takes them to the airport located 2 kilometers away, instead of to the one located 26 kilometers away.

Amazing photos MafaldaBoy. It's amazing what a little bit of sandblasting can do to a heritage structure, it looks brand new. At least I assume it's sandblasting, I'm not sure how they restore the exterior/take off all the grime.

I am proposing we use the following as a symbol for the island airport:

airplane-biplane-cute-kids-propeller-plane-toy.png

Those symbols should point to the bus stop outside union...and the streetcar station in Union, what I am going to call the DOWN Express (509)

Attachments

• airplane-biplane-cute-kids-propeller-plane-toy.png
    airplane-biplane-cute-kids-propeller-plane-toy.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,133
Last edited:
The York west teamway has always had several regular spots with leaks too.

GO posted that platform departure changes will happen on April 15th. I assume that is the opening day.

http://www.gotransit.com/unionstation/en/customer/default.aspx

I doubt it--the flyer for the platform changes also shows a map of the station/areas under construction, and still shows Bay as active and York as under construction. If the platform changes were to coincide with opening day that map would likely show York open.

I doubt it--the flyer for the platform changes also shows a map of the station/areas under construction, and still shows Bay as active and York as under construction. If the platform changes were to coincide with opening day that map would likely show York open.

I would agree that makes sense. Perhaps they need one last change around to make another connection to the platforms before opening in late April...

Are we still getting these chandeliers in the Great Hall?

I certainly hope so. I was in he Great hall yesterday night and the place is ridiculously dim with the current lighting set up. It doesn't have to be incredibly bright but more lights are definitely needed.

That said i haven't seen anything mentioning the removal of that from the project. I suspect they are waiting for the rest of the interior Great Hall area work to Finish

Check the link. The platform changes will bring platform 4 back into circulation for GO service. Platform 3 will continue to be closed.
Platform 3 accesses the same track alignment as UPX to the west, so it would only be able to accept terminating service coming from the east, such as the Richmond Hill line. Any idea which GO line would ultimately access Platform 3 in the future?

Back