Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This permit sounds as though it belongs to the TTC Union Station, but the City has it attached to the main complex:

1698944626902.png

There will be a steakhouse; it's under construction now.
Uhhh -- pretty sure the Bovine Steak and Sushi House will be where the signed hoarding for it is located: in the East Wing, just east of the Great Hall.
If this can be confirmed -- somewhere in addition to our friend Google -- that means no Steak joint or even large resto in the north side of the Great Hall, imo.
Fwiw, I once heard an oyster bar was destined for the Great Hall ... but that is from before the Whatchamacallit. My understanding is the former ticketing area space currently houses temporary City offices.

Honestly these types of intrusive use of the Great Hall should be kept to a minimum - it's fundamentally antithetical to the concept of it being a grand public space.

AoD
I have to agree. Instead my preference would be to have a museum in the space, displaying the history of union station and maybe even of Toronto as a whole. it would probably work to attract more tourists to union boosting the station as a whole.

Honestly these types of intrusive use of the Great Hall should be kept to a minimum - it's fundamentally antithetical to the concept of it being a grand public space.

AoD
I'm with you but isn't that what's happening in the similar space of Chicago's Union Station? If it's a success there ...

Uhhh -- pretty sure the Bovine Steak and Sushi House will be where the signed hoarding for it is located: in the East Wing, just east of the Great Hall.
If this can be confirmed -- somewhere in addition to our friend Google -- that means no Steak joint or even large resto in the north side of the Great Hall, imo.
Fwiw, I once heard an oyster bar was destined for the Great Hall ... but that is from before the Whatchamacallit. My understanding is the former ticketing area space currently houses temporary City offices.

Yes, it's in the East Hall, I was not suggesting otherwise. It was asked by another poster if there would be a steakhouse in Union Station, I was merely saying 'yes' that is the case, not suggesting it would be in the Great Hall.

The Google maps detail in the station now has multi-floor diagrams but it's still a bit of a jumble. Anyone know how to suggest updates for this kind of building-specific mapping? I've made corrections for street-level locations before, but not places with multiple levels and I've not been able to decode this part of the process.

Whom, I wonder, is responsible for getting the proper "official" data to Google... perhaps it falls to several different departments at the City. Is Osmington still in charge of leasing?
Still not clear who, if anyone, has taken responsibility for the Google Maps depiction of the station.
Maybe this pet peeve of mine is irrelevant as no user expects to use Google for wayfinding inside the place -- except compare to other malls in the city...
Union is rather a mess, with duplicated and misplaced icons for retail locations and even key elements.
Such as... should the icons for Union LRT and subway station be placed in the Great Hall, where they are next to the intercity and commuter rail markers...?
Or perhaps closer to Bay St in the subway station proper [which happens to designated 55 Front St West -- as opposed to 65 Front]?
Grumble, kvetch.

This permit sounds as though it belongs to the TTC Union Station, but the City has it attached to the main complex:

View attachment 517214

It likely is for the subway station.

The weird part is, there were gates in place prior to the construction and I THOUGHT even now. Originally when they constructed the streetcar platform they included a solid glass sliding door which has since been removed. This sliding door was to isolate the streetcar platform.

Prior to the construction, there was a sliding grill on the mezzanine level to block off the Streetcar Platform. Once the upgrades were completed, they had included a sliding grill again at subway platform level where the Yonge Platform was. I presume this was so that streetcar service could continue if and when there was an outage at Union.

What I do not understand is why they removed both of these only to have it reinstalled now.

The whole project is a mess. I swear Union Station including the bus and train terminals, subway and retail concours and Path elements has been under construction since before 2010. When this this project be over?

It has been going on for so long that even some of the USRPAG members have bit the big one due to old-ish age (and health complications).

The whole project is a mess. I swear Union Station including the bus and train terminals, subway and retail concours and Path elements has been under construction since before 2010. When this this project be over?
The original project started in 2010 has more or less wrapped up beyond some straggling items.

What's happened since then is more projects have been started, and there are even more coming down the pipeline..

AoD
That table arrangement never been done before so I think it’s as minimum as it gets

The original project started in 2010 has more or less wrapped up beyond some straggling items.

What's happened since then is more projects have been started, and there are even more coming down the pipeline..

'Some straggling items' I think understates things just abit..........

Great Hall Lighting
Great Hall Ticket Boothes
Great Hall finishes (restoration incomplete)
Painting/other minor works in concourse
Mural in Moat

Project finished years late and significantly over budget, in part, but not wholly due to the bankruptcy of the original contractor.

That table arrangement never been done before so I think it’s as minimum as it gets

They have had major events in the Great Hall before.

Diana Krall was set to perform in September 2001 but was delayed because of 9/11. Around that time, the TTC also hosted a birthday bash in the Great Hall complete with cake.

Yesterday the transit youtuber RM Transit hosted a event in the great hall, though it probably wasn’t to the same scale as the concert or TTC event that you mentioned

Back