Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Iirc the top of the flight stairs shown in that picture is grade of ground level with mls scotia and telus bldg

The red beam you see in the aft-ground is the grade change structural bit of the “temp ramps” from telus to via, the red beam was under the flat part halfway up where ramps did a T intersection

Pretty sure that might even be my pic in which case i think it may have even been a little before 2018, the police banned me from union in may 2016 so that picture was probably winter of 2015/2016
A few weeks ago I read every page in this thread and I remember someone saying they used to sneak into the construction areas, was that you? If so I really appreciate the photos of the original Market area before all the fixtures were ripped out.

Last edited:
I didn’t think they could ban someone from accessing such an essential public space? Or you can still take transit just not be in the station otherwise?

A few weeks ago I read every page in this thread and I remember someone saying they used to sneak into the construction areas, was that you?
Honestly I used to do that not too long ago, had a few opportunities to be Crane Girl before Crane Girl.

Now I prefer looking in and up at construction sites rather looking out and down..

I didn’t think they could ban someone from accessing such an essential public space? Or you can still take transit just not be in the station otherwise?
It was citation under the trespass act, Union is private property owned by the city. Well within their rights. I was well past the hoardings and way out of my lane. It's all well expired by now so all is good.

A few weeks ago I read every page in this thread and I remember someone saying they used to sneak into the construction areas, was that you? If so I really appreciate the photos of the original Market area before all the fixtures were ripped out.
Very well possibly was I…

Unfortunately I purged all of my photographs from this thread and elsewhere at request of the authorities, but this writeup by Craig White archived some ofnthe keepers: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/05/construction-update-union-stations-mall-and-bay-concourse

The Union underpinning project absolutely captured my fascination while I was studying ArchTech at GBC. I made many trips over the course of two years, from steam tunnels to rooftop, I don’t think there is a room at union I haven’t seen.

I was definitely inspired by Ninjalicious and his Infiltration zine. If you know you know.

One day when I find some time to pull out my old lightroom harddrives I promise I will come back to this thread and post a thorough time line.

Honestly I used to do that not too long ago, had a few opportunities to be Crane Girl before Crane Girl.

Now I prefer looking in and up at construction sites rather looking out and down..
My biggest beef with crane girl is that she didn't wear steel toe safety boots. When I first saw that pics that was my biggest shock - if you're going to commit a crime and trespass a construction site at the very least lower the risk of getting tetanus.

My biggest beef with crane girl is that she didn't wear steel toe safety boots. When I first saw that pics that was my biggest shock - if you're going to commit a crime and trespass a construction site at the very least lower the risk of getting tetanus.

"If you're gonna be dumb. Be smart about it"

Does anyone know if the tunnel between the TTC station and main building still exists? The second platform project and union reconstruction suggest that it's been totally removed, but I'd be curious to know it's fate/status.

UnionStnPromOldPlan960.jpgttc-union-south-passageway-19820726.jpgttc-union-mezzanine-plan-1980-2.jpgunionstn19531977.jpgttc-union-station-plans-195809.jpg19551107_ls.jpgs0381_fl0220_id10084-2.jpgunionstnmodern.jpg

Does anyone know if the tunnel between the TTC station and main building still exists? The second platform project and union reconstruction suggest that it's been totally removed, but I'd be curious to know it's fate/status.

View attachment 438857View attachment 438858View attachment 438859View attachment 438860View attachment 438861View attachment 438862View attachment 438863View attachment 438864
There is no longer any tunnel to TTC from Union. The lower level of union was added to match at grade to TTC/RBC concourse. There is nothing below this lowest level on Bay side of building (it was formerly mechanical and steam tunnel spaces). On York side of building, north of the food court, under the promenade level there are still mechanical and steam tunnel spaces which is where they stuck a lot of the mechanicals for the new areas. The other mechanicals are in roof attics (visible as “grilles” in the peaked roofline when seen overhead satellite view). All that said. There was a tunnel from Union to Royal York… It would have run north from the promenade level, down, under front, and into the Royal York concourse level. I cannot confirm or deny if it still exists. As far as I can tell the tunnel box would have been intersected when they dug down for TTC second platform. But if there worked around it or demolished it Indo not know. The tunnel would have been at grade with TTC concourse so second platform could technically run under it. And concourse is technically east of it. But I know there are some TTC mecahnicals service spaces and fire vent fans in there now so… it's been a long time since I looked at the second platform drawings.

There is no longer any tunnel to TTC from Union. The lower level of union was added to match at grade to TTC/RBC concourse. There is nothing below this lowest level on Bay side of building (it was formerly mechanical and steam tunnel spaces). On York side of building, north of the food court, under the promenade level there are still mechanical and steam tunnel spaces which is where they stuck a lot of the mechanicals for the new areas. The other mechanicals are in roof attics (visible as “grilles” in the peaked roofline when seen overhead satellite view). All that said. There was a tunnel from Union to Royal York… It would have run north from the promenade level, down, under front, and into the Royal York concourse level. I cannot confirm or deny if it still exists. As far as I can tell the tunnel box would have been intersected when they dug down for TTC second platform. But if there worked around it or demolished it Indo not know. The tunnel would have been at grade with TTC concourse so second platform could technically run under it. And concourse is technically east of it. But I know there are some TTC mecahnicals service spaces and fire vent fans in there now so… it's been a long time since I looked at the second platform drawings.

If I recall correctly from a conversation I once had with the late Derek Boles, the connection between the hotel and station is gone.

It was obliterated during the revitalization and subway works for various different reasons.

Before it was ripped out there were water penetration issues which prematurely shut it down. I believe maintenance was an issue overall.

I only ever took that tunnel once. It let you out into an awkward corner of the hotel basement. Not the most ideal and quite frankly it would be easier to walk across the street.

If I recall the Royal York is no longer keen on having direct path connections to their hotel.

If I recall correctly from a conversation I once had with the late Derek Boles, the connection between the hotel and station is gone.

It was obliterated during the revitalization and subway works for various different reasons.

Before it was ripped out there were water penetration issues which prematurely shut it down. I believe maintenance was an issue overall.

I only ever took that tunnel once. It let you out into an awkward corner of the hotel basement. Not the most ideal and quite frankly it would be easier to walk across the street.

If I recall the Royal York is no longer keen on having direct path connections to their hotel.
Is there photos of this walkway?

Is there photos of this walkway?

A UT post from 2017:

From said post:

1668348939551.png

1668348956262.png

And

How it looked filled with water:

1668346450340.png

That is from here: http://infiltration.org/utility-union.html

Last edited:

Back