Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I noticed while I was walking through the station tonight that there is much more signage referring to Bay Street and the Bay Concourse going up. All of it is in public facing areas.

I presume this is a sign (no pun intended) that the concourse is opening in short order?

Also.. suddenly I am wondering whatever happened to @tnarduzzi

Hi @Richard White. I am still lurking. Changed jobs and moved out of downtown a few years ago now so I do not really have any new content. Also got in a bit of trouble with the constabulary for sneaking past the hoardings at Union so I decidedly had to let go of my fascination with the building a little bit. Just living vicariously through the forums now!

Edit. The statute of limitations has now expired, and no charges were brought forward. Should the mods want to reinstate my construction update from 2016 I would support that.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/05/construction-update-union-stations-mall-and-bay-concourse

Last edited:
It will not open before Sept. I'm going to eat my words. I should know better with construction.

I thought that last night. You can see into it from the top of the escalator and the amount of work still going on is proof that it is a loooooooooong way from opening. It looks very much under construction still.

I thought that last night. You can see into it from the top of the escalator and the amount of work still going on is proof that it is a loooooooooong way from opening. It looks very much under construction still.
A week ago you said " Why do I get the feeling this will be open by September. " You seem to have changed your mind about this but I should remind you that it is quite possible to open the Bay Concourse in sections and I still suspect that they will create an east-west pathway from the stairways to the tracks at the Scotia Bank Arena end right through to the TTC @ the east Front Moat sooner than later. You can see right through and they are doing finishing touches at the SBA end Then I would expect to see the (new, interior) stairs from the Bay Street west moat into the Bay concourse opening (but that will probably not happen until they finish the floor tiling in the Bay moat itself.)

The whole of the Bay concourse will almost certainly not open and offer services before late 2020 because, once the 'walkways" are finished, the Metrolinx/GO folk have to come in and build their areas and install their equipment Opening the Bay Concourse (maybe in stages) as a pass-through will probably come first.

A week ago you said " Why do I get the feeling this will be open by September. " You seem to have changed your mind about this

That was because signs were going up everywhere and the pillars were getting their finishing touches. It looked like something was about to open. A couple nights ago I looked and there were tools and materials everywhere I then realized nothing would open by September.

That was because signs were going up everywhere and the pillars were getting their finishing touches. It looked like something was about to open. A couple nights ago I looked and there were tools and materials everywhere I then realized nothing would open by September.
Most signage has been up for months, seeing tools and material everywhere would make me (and most people?) assume it would open sooner than later. Cup half full. cup half empty. I guess we will see!

Hey guys,

I got a question for you. So I was at Union Station over the weekend which was my first time in probably 6 months and I noticed that they seemed to have extended a couple of the platforms beyond the train shed. I know that there has been some talk from Metrolinx of going to a more European style design of longer, wider platforms with less total numbers then there is currently. Is this the beginning stages or are these just spaces for the contractors to be able to store materials, work tools and what not? I thought it was interesting and since it has been a while since I have been down there I thought I would come to the experts.

IMG_20200710_125831.jpg

Hey guys,

I got a question for you. So I was at Union Station over the weekend which was my first time in probably 6 months and I noticed that they seemed to have extended a couple of the platforms beyond the train shed. I know that there has been some talk from Metrolinx of going to a more European style design of longer, wider platforms with less total numbers then there is currently. Is this the beginning stages or are these just spaces for the contractors to be able to store materials, work tools and what not? I thought it was interesting and since it has been a while since I have been down there I thought I would come to the experts.

View attachment 256961

I actually got off on the easternmost end of one of these "new" platforms. They are in use but they are quite narrow.

Hey guys,

View attachment 256961

Those platforms have been there since the station opened.

The problem was that in most cases, they hadn't been maintained since that date either. They are now fixing that oversight.

The ultimate plan used to be that they were going to be "double-birthing" trains on each track - having trains coming in from the east and coming in from the west simultaneously use the same long platforms in order to better use those long platforms located in the middle of the station. Double-birthing is also dependent on the new signalling system, which still hasn't been commissioned and made operational yet. That's probably another year away from happening.

Dan

^ I also wonder with ridership and the number of trips down, that they'll even use double berthing in the near future?

Those platforms have been there since the station opened.
One of them used to be users for the Canadian which in the summertime would usually have three engines on and have both ends sticking out of the station as well when Via owned that track they liked to use it for it as it was the longest straight section without switches on it.

Back