Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Just walked through the station and got to thinking about the former news kiosk seen in the attached image.

My understanding is that it was created as a homage to the one in Silver Streak but now it is just an oddly placed set of 4 pillars.

Anyone know what the plans are for it?

View attachment 229168
I am not sure about any future plans to repurpose the kiosk space into something new but I am fairly confident the pillars are staying. Back in 2014-2015 they put in a lot of work to clean, regrout, and refurbish the marble.

Hey @mdrejhon, the most up-to-date plans for the station do not show any food retailing on the east side other than one small (400 sq ft?) location in the GO Bay Concourse, shown as 202 in the plan below. (Food is green, shops are yellow—although some West Wing retail is seen as possible bar space.)

View attachment 66335

On the lower level, you can see that the entire Bay St. Promenade area, along with the Front St. Promenade, will be retailing, with the food split into three areas. The Market is mostly meant for food to take home, while the York St. Promenade is meant for casual dining (including Burger's Priest, Union Chicken, and more). No need to explain the Food Court area.

View attachment 66334

AFAIK, the dashed red lines on both plan levels have no purpose other than some graphical element.

Looks like we have our first retail tenant in the Bay Concourse if the above unit numbers are still valid.

1581368892902.png

A timmies is no surprise. They've been holding out for a prime Bay location.

Yes but the station is saturated with them. There will be 2 in Union plus Pilot Coffee, Starbucks, and McCafe. I get that coffee is not necessarily a bad thing but how many coffee shops does one station need?

Yes but the station is saturated with them. There will be 2 in Union plus Pilot Coffee, Starbucks, and McCafe. I get that coffee is not necessarily a bad thing but how many coffee shops does one station need?
The same answers as all the infinite answers of "How many people does it take to change a lightbulb?"

For what it’s worth, I went to Union Timmies at 2pm today and there was a 5-10 minute line. Always feel a little bad when I skip it by using the app. ? It’s crazy to me that people wait that long for a coffee, so makes me wonder how many skip the wait altogether. I’m sure another one at the opposite end of Union will do just fine.

For what it’s worth, I went to Union Timmies at 2pm today and there was a 5-10 minute line. Always feel a little bad when I skip it by using the app. ? It’s crazy to me that people wait that long for a coffee, so makes me wonder how many skip the wait altogether. I’m sure another one at the opposite end of Union will do just fine.

This is why I go to Starbucks at Avenue and Bloor on my way to work. Despite the cute Barista I have my eye on there is no wait.

The one at the north end is closing down no?

I mean hell. We have a McCafe on the York Concourse level and a full feldged McDonalds on the Food court level. So is it unusual to have a Timmies at either end of the station?

I feel like all these coffee shops are for different demographics, Pilot and Tim's aren't the same thing.

I mean hell. We have a McCafe on the York Concourse level and a full feldged McDonalds on the Food court level. So is it unusual to have a Timmies at either end of the station?
There's a McDonald's on Yonge with a separate McCafe off to the side, does that count?

Everyone's asking "how many coffee shops does Union need?" when the question should be "how many can it support?" And it seems the answer is "more than there are now".

Notwithstanding the terrible service at Timmie's that creates huge lineups at every location (it's not the volume that's the problem...), there seems to be ample demand for more coffee shops.

Also, Bay Concourse is a LONG walk from York concourse when you're in a hurry at rush hour. If there's food going in both ends of the station, why not repeat services?

I should mention though that I don't think we need any more Timmie's. Anywhere.

Back