Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

That's the clearest map/plan I have seen to date, thanks! They are currently excavating the Front Street East Moat to bring it to the level of the TTC entrance and get rid of the stairs. The Front Street West Moat seems to be level so it just needs to be 'smartened up, and the canopy erected and I assume there will be a stair-free passage from east to west via the "Centre Moat". Yes?
The Front Street West and Centre Moat areas will stay at the same level they are at now. The stairs between them and them East Moat are under the purple arrow. It's explained in this front page story from last week.

That would be unprecedented access, to the best of my knowledge, not only Union but the entire TTC and GO Transit, probably every GTHA transit service. And again, that would make absolutely no sense. Why on Earth build a set of doors from the East York Teamway to the Food Court, both high-traffic areas, and pay somebody to come by and lock them for absolutely no good reason then open them for a few hours a day?
As best as I understand, one set of the doors heading down from the York East Teamway will be full-time access to the "York Street Pedestrian Retail" level (as seen in the plan above), while others are fire escape stairs.

Also, 60% of the Union basement mall floorplan is now food. So it will already spill over to the Bay concourse. With the first few food establishments a small 30 meter level walk (fully climate controlled, no stairs, no outdoors) walk from RBC bank building PATH exits.

The walking distance from PATH/TTC entrance to the first major Union food cluster will shrink by at more than two-thirds without all the detouring, stairs, construction, etc. Financial District is a huge lunchtime market -- and I tell you this, because I am employed in the Financial District.
Hey @mdrejhon, the most up-to-date plans for the station do not show any food retailing on the east side other than one small (400 sq ft?) location in the GO Bay Concourse, shown as 202 in the plan below. (Food is green, shops are yellow—although some West Wing retail is seen as possible bar space.)

UnionRetailUpperNov2016.jpg

On the lower level, you can see that the entire Bay St. Promenade area, along with the Front St. Promenade, will be retailing, with the food split into three areas. The Market is mostly meant for food to take home, while the York St. Promenade is meant for casual dining (including Burger's Priest, Union Chicken, and more). No need to explain the Food Court area.

UnionRetailLowerNov2016.jpg

AFAIK, the dashed red lines on both plan levels have no purpose other than some graphical element.

Attachments

• UnionRetailLowerNov2016.jpg
    UnionRetailLowerNov2016.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 5,185
  • UnionRetailUpperNov2016.jpg
    UnionRetailUpperNov2016.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 5,521
Thanks! I stand corrected on the 30 meters.

But the rest of my points certainly stand -- 60% food and a big market -- a quick, wide-corridor level walk that is much shorter -- and multiple routes to reach food.

The walking space and hallways are really wide, completely indoors. Even if you took the pedestrian route requiring a level change, now involves escalators rather than stairs.

That's an interesting choice. Nearly all the retail in the Bay Concourse previously was Food - this is because they have a captive market for everyone offloading and walking to the PATH. Not sure if stop and shop retail will be nearly as successful there.

That's an interesting choice. Nearly all the retail in the Bay Concourse previously was Food - this is because they have a captive market for everyone offloading and walking to the PATH. Not sure if stop and shop retail will be nearly as successful there.
I thought so too, but I also hated rushing through the lineups during the morning commutes, pedestrian flows and lineups impeded everything and clogged things up.

But I now think this is brilliant genius to concentrate food at York.

unionretaillowernov2016-jpg.66334

You can see in this diagram, this layout solves a lot of pedestrian bottlenecks, with a wide straightened-out "vomitorium" between TTC and Bay GO concourse that unifies pedestrian flows (less criss-crossy) and removes human obstacles (no lineups in pedestrian flow routes). The width of all PATH entrances around the whole circumference of Union, approximately doubles(ish) and obstacles removed (stairs, lineups, pinch points, poor flow).

Beyond tripling of GO concourse square footage, the mall is additional loiter space (GO schedule screens should be throughout the mall), so people will also get "out of the way" of the GO concourses.

People are forced to go through the wide "mall vomitorium" link between TTC and Bay, some percentage of pedestrians will instead zig a 90 degree turn right through temptingly-wide no-crowd grand hallway (to immediately escape Bay overcrowding) as "York bait" to escape the crushing Bay flow. It will be automatically governing, in that the more overcrowding occurs at Bay, the more effectively the "York bait" becomes, like a tempting bypass freeway. In turn, removing themselves from occupying space in Bay Concourse (aka "crowding" of Bay side).

This "York Bait" factor (uncrowded Grand Hallway connector + strategic location of food) will be key to rebalancing the crowd between Bay and York. This, too, also further improves passenger flows for commuters who insist on staying Bay-side. All despite the temptation of a Grand Hallway to your right towards York concourse and the irresistible lure of now-further-away Cinnabons. A hallway loiter refuge, only a few seconds away in a 90 degree walking direction change. Out of the crowds, much less crowded compared to the crush of passengers lining up to rush up the crammed Bay Concourse escalators circa 2020 evening peak period, like the pedestrian version of a tempting half-empty 8-lane bypass freeway to the side of your gridlocked road.

Look at the map diagram, imagine approaching the bottom of the Bay escalators during evening peak.

Just before you step onto the escalator up to the Bay concourse, you'll have a perfect view (towards the right) of an wide Grand Hallway through The Market toward luxurious York Food underneath a less-crowded York Concourse -- Can you imagine every single commuter resisting the temptation to escape a crushing crowd?

Not all would probably stay Bay-side, when you now got that pedestrian equivalent of an 8-lane freeway between Bay and York escalators? With yummy smells as a reward? At least 10% or 20% of commuters, maybe more, will divert themselves to the freedom of more shoulder room away from trying to rush up the Bay escalators (even though there's at least 4 or 5 of them, they'll still probably become a bottleneck at peak).

All of this combined, all the above, totalled, will allow Union to simultaneously accept 2x-3x as many peak-period passengers by ~2031, combined with the short-dwells of GO RER, and all currently-closed tracks reopened, to empty aboveground train platforms in faster cycles, maintaining platform crowding to today's levels while having 2x as many peak passengers.

The ease of walking between York/Bay concourses will increase dramatically, and in the GO RER era of increased service, I don't think location of Union Food in York is an issue.

Food location for commuters might be an issue initially (before ~2020), but after 2020-ish of GO service increases, a very wise long-term decision. Despite any problems and efficiency messups, I can tell at least some architects/mapmakers put a lot of thought put into passenger flow and food court location from a passenger efficiency perspective necessary to achieve 2-3x peak passenger capacity into Union.

Certainly, we don't want to go "AURA Mall", that is for sure! So with commuters too, it must also capture the surrounding office lunch market too, comfortable button-shirt-and-khakis walk, and be designed to do so with fast, attractive PATH routes including indoorization of the moats.

(Side thought: While the lunch market is big, the commuter market is needed too. Any future government risks AURAmall-izing Union if they cancel GO expansions/electfication. Transit advocate infographic idea?).

Last edited:
Coffee wars heating up. Starbucks has a countdown sign up that today showed it was opening in "8 days".

Hey @mdrejhon, the most up-to-date plans for the station do not show any food retailing on the east side other than one small (400 sq ft?) location in the GO Bay Concourse, shown as 202 in the plan below. (Food is green, shops are yellow—although some West Wing retail is seen as possible bar space.)

View attachment 66335

On the lower level, you can see that the entire Bay St. Promenade area, along with the Front St. Promenade, will be retailing, with the food split into three areas. The Market is mostly meant for food to take home, while the York St. Promenade is meant for casual dining (including Burger's Priest, Union Chicken, and more). No need to explain the Food Court area.

View attachment 66334

AFAIK, the dashed red lines on both plan levels have no purpose other than some graphical element.

@interchange42 Where are these plans from? Osmington?

Is it just me or will the PATH connections in the northwest and northeast corners be outside and not weather-protected? I've circled them in this image. Why not have routed the northwest PATH through the green line I drew?

4fJiHXC.jpg

Is it just me or will the PATH connections in the northwest and northeast corners be outside and not weather-protected? I've circled them in this image. Why not have routed the northwest PATH through the green line I drew?

4fJiHXC.jpg

The path to BCE place and the Path Extension both run UNDER front Street.

The path to BCE place and the Path Extension both run UNDER front Street.

But say you're coming from 123 Front St, wouldn't you have to go outside to get to the moat? In both the pictures, the exits lead to outside and according to the map, this part will be under the glass dome but not enclosed, it'd be open towards the York Teamway.

p1410456-jpg.31577

16659436544_3f77e32aca_h.jpg

Back