Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

0F2F95F3-9369-486E-A10B-DF8876650B16.jpeg

Friday night lights!!

Just some pics of the East Wing and TTC Moat entrance that will open a portion to the leather shop bypass on the 23rd of Dec.

On another note, I was going to post the Atrium lighting pictures that was going to be tested on Thursday night to allow “burn in”,
sikandar beat me to it...nice pic!

It looks good though. I’ll post pics from the inside later.

View attachment 219987View attachment 219988View attachment 219989

Is the flooring inside the Bay retail level that connects to the TTC moat completed and covered with some sort of protection placed on top of it, or is the flooring work yet to start for that level?

Is the flooring inside the Bay retail level that connects to the TTC moat completed and covered with some sort of protection placed on top of it, or is the flooring work yet to start for that level?
Yes, the floor all seems to be done inside and is covered. (Clearly the entrance directly from Bay Street (adjacent to Bay Teamway) not yet ready to open but most of rest looks in pretty good shape. I assume @uniontopearson above is right and it certainly looks like there is LOTS of space for a hoarded route through from East Front Moat (i.e. TTC) to 'somewhere" inside Union Station. (Great Hall? To York Concourse?? I guess we need to wait for another week. )

Yes, the floor all seems to be done inside and is covered. (Clearly the entrance directly from Bay Street (adjacent to Bay Teamway) not yet ready to open but most of rest looks in pretty good shape. I assume @uniontopearson above is right and it certainly looks like there is LOTS of space for a hoarded route through from East Front Moat (i.e. TTC) to 'somewhere" inside Union Station. (Great Hall? To York Concourse?? I guess we need to wait for another week. )

Thanks for the answer. If there's a pathway opened from the East Front Moat, doubting it's going to lead to Great Hall since that means it would need to go through the Leather shop bypass which appears to need a lot more work before it's ready.

Thanks for the answer. If there's a pathway opened from the East Front Moat, doubting it's going to lead to Great Hall since that means it would need to go through the Leather shop bypass which appears to need a lot more work before it's ready.
Or directly up to Great Hall. Maybe why they have been working up there a lot in last few weeks?

Is there still going to be a new restaurant in the Great Hall? I think I remember seeing it as part of the renderings and that it would create a space on a second floor? I remember it being located on the south side of the Great Hall.

Is there still going to be a new restaurant in the Great Hall? I think I remember seeing it as part of the renderings and that it would create a space on a second floor? I remember it being located on the south side of the Great Hall.
There was talk of this a page or two up this thread. There is a new building permit for it.

Plywood fencing from 3 sets of doors from the TTC Entrance closer to the East Side of the moat will lead into the Bay Concourse. The fencing will divert pedestrians up a new set of stairs that have never been used straight through to where the leather bypass in the VIA Arrival/Departures area is located. This is just another option that will be opened up to relieve some pressure off the Front Street Moat (if there was ever any), and the accessibility route will still be maintained through the Front St Moat. There are no working elevators/ramps through the new route at the moment, as it is only temporary.

Hope that helps.

Still up in the air. It will be converted to office space for the time being.

Plywood fencing from 3 sets of doors from the TTC Entrance closer to the East Side of the moat will lead into the Bay Concourse. The fencing will divert pedestrians up a new set of stairs that have never been used straight through to where the leather bypass in the VIA Arrival/Departures area is located. This is just another option that will be opened up to relieve some pressure off the Front Street Moat (if there was ever any), and the accessibility route will still be maintained through the Front St Moat. There are no working elevators/ramps through the new route at the moment, as it is only temporary.

Hope that helps.
I was just at Union and they have opened both of the ramps that lead up to (or down from) the VIA Concourse from the Front Street Corridor. (east and west of the main ramp from Great Hall to VIA concourse.)

More interestingly they have opened up the wall immediately below the main ramp from Great Hall to VIA concourse and revealed a (new) staircase leading down into the area between the Bay/York concourses. Presumably the new stairs noted by @union2pearson

Not a great plan for showing this but ...

union.jpg

I was just at Union and they have opened both of the ramps that lead up to (or down from) the VIA Concourse from the Front Street Corridor. (east and west of the main ramp from Great Hall to VIA concourse.)

More interestingly they have opened up the wall immediately below the main ramp from Great Hall to VIA concourse and revealed a (new) staircase leading down into the area between the Bay/York concourses. Presumably the new stairs noted by @union2pearson

Not a great plan for showing this but ...

View attachment 220618

I think @union2pearson and yourself are referring to different staircases. He is speaking of the new staircase which run on a east/west axis from the east end of the level directly below the Great Hall down into the lower level of Bay Concourse. This new east/west stair will open soon as part of a temporary hoarded route to the TTC through the Bay Concourse.

The stair you are speaking of is a new stair that will lead from the level directly below the great hall down in to the new lower retail level. This stair is on a north/south axis and the top end can currently be seen in the south wall in between the two ramps from VIA to the level below great hall.

@DSC I have some pictures of the foundation for the bottom side of this staircase you are referring to from when I toured the station back in 2014ish. I’d have to dig those picture out from my external hard drive but basically if you look closely at this video linked below you can see the bottom of the stairs. At 0:12 I am facing north and you can see rebar poking out from the ground, this exact frame in the video shows the “landing zone” for these stairs.

If you take this into context these stairs will be kind of nice because once the new lower retail level opens you will effectively be able to walk straight-through Union on a north/south directly from Front Street to Maple Leaf Square.

Hey Guys,

Don't know if some of you may have seen this before or been posted previously, but it may have been buried in the forum somewhere, but have a look.

This was posted back in 2011. It gives you a bit of a perspective of what was planned...close to what was proposed and what it currently is.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Don't know if some of you may have seen this before or been posted previously, but it may have been buried in the forum somewhere, but have a look.

This was posted back in 2011. It gives you a bit of a perspective of what was planned...close to what was proposed and what it currently is.

Did the glass bridge end up getting built?

Back