Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Exactly. Not like they're eating fish on a train.
I once flew from Shanghai to Beijing and the guy beside me had a spitting cup, and partook in that particular guttural fashion. After that, you can eat for curried garlic fish beside me, I'm survive.

The crossbeam? Are you talking about the part of your pic that stretches across below the window but above the escalator, and has that GO signage on it?
Yeah that always looked kind of ramshackle to me. when the Harvey's was there, wasn't it a decorative sort of ironwork stretching across there? With a matching decoration on the opposite side of the great hall (in all 4 corners?)?

EDIT: Ah, this is what I meant. Not ironwork, but looks better than the drywall. http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/01...architects-and-zeidler-partnership-architects

TIL there used to be a Harvey's in Union Station. Nice find on the old article.

TIL there used to be a Harvey's in Union Station. Nice find on the old article.
Man... This just made me realize. Union has been under construction (and the Bay Concourse has been closed) for so long, there's a whole generation of commuters that have no idea what it used to look like.

Years of students have come to Toronto, never experiencing the old Union, and will (or already have) graduate and move on to jobs outside of Toronto, without getting to see the completed project.

I know this might seem like a "well duh" moment, but it never occurred to me until just now that there are people here that have never stepped foot in that Harveys, or been on the receiving end of a sugary cinnamon-y punch to the nose while stepping off their train into the Bay Concourse.

^ More of the same meaningless schematic mumbo-jumbo. It's a damn good thing that (Entro?) http://entro.com/project/unionstation/ don't do highway signs. We'd never get to where we were going.

Here's an example of where they got it right:
View attachment 172218

http://entro.com/project/unionstation/

Perhaps it's a conspiracy to get people inside, and then purposely confuse them to the point that they can never leave?
All these transit agencies are so concerned about making their logos visible on these signs. Even if their logos should be displayed it should be smaller and not be as prominent.

Like I mentioned before (the great cinnabon derail...), this has to be a case of meddling from the top down. Their signage over at the UP station isn't a mess like this.

163468-e9eae116302621825bbf78d6931fb484.jpg

Man... This just made me realize. Union has been under construction (and the Bay Concourse has been closed) for so long, there's a whole generation of commuters that have no idea what it used to look like.

Years of students have come to Toronto, never experiencing the old Union, and will (or already have) graduate and move on to jobs outside of Toronto, without getting to see the completed project.

I know this might seem like a "well duh" moment, but it never occurred to me until just now that there are people here that have never stepped foot in that Harveys, or been on the receiving end of a sugary cinnamon-y punch to the nose while stepping off their train into the Bay Concourse.

I know, this is exactly how I feel.

Like I mentioned before (the great cinnabon derail...), this has to be a case of meddling from the top down. Their signage over at the UP station isn't a mess like this.

163468-e9eae116302621825bbf78d6931fb484.jpg

The "signage" at Union leaves a lot to deseried, as it is very smalll to read, and needs to be improved.

The Bay side is an ever changing mess, but I am so conditioned to the construction that I just follow the arrows and the people and I know I will get through eventually. I'm sure it will change again next week, and so on, until construction is finished on the Bay side.

I was in the station today, and I have to say it is beginning to feel like a new place, as opposed to the same old construction project and the same old Union Station. The York Concourse and the food court already feel busy and even crowded (and too small - Bay can't come soon enough). There are enough new stores on the lower level, and various bits of finishing and tiling are far enough along, that it felt like I was exploring a place I hadn't been before. When I walked up into the Great Hall, it felt kind of empty and silent, compared to the higher-energy feeling in the areas down below.

It's still a work in progress, and I'm not saying it will wow a new visitor, but it's certainly bigger and better than what it was before.

- Paul

The Bay side is an ever changing mess, but I am so conditioned to the construction that I just follow the arrows and the people and I know I will get through eventually. I'm sure it will change again next week, and so on, until construction is finished on the Bay side.

I was in the station today, and I have to say it is beginning to feel like a new place, as opposed to the same old construction project and the same old Union Station. The York Concourse and the food court already feel busy and even crowded (and too small - Bay can't come soon enough). There are enough new stores on the lower level, and various bits of finishing and tiling are far enough along, that it felt like I was exploring a place I hadn't been before. When I walked up into the Great Hall, it felt kind of empty and silent, compared to the higher-energy feeling in the areas down below.

It's still a work in progress, and I'm not saying it will wow a new visitor, but it's certainly bigger and better than what it was before.

- Paul
Do we know if the Bay Concourse and the Bay Street Promenade will open at the same time?

Back